Jeep Commander Forum banner

Rocking/Bouncing at Idle (Like a cradle)

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jeep5253 
#1 ·
Hi all, Felix from Miami here with a question for you.

I have tried to find this issue in the forums but have not had any luck.

I'll try to be brief (someone tell my gf that they witnessed that happening)

When I am at idle i notice that my commander rocks, like the way a cradle would. Idle needle doesn't move erratically at all, stays at around 500rpm

I bought this truck recently and have only changed alternator and belt thusfar.

Dealer did the ignition cylinder recall and the software update for the 4wd thing last week

System warning says I need an oil change

I have done NOTHING else other than pump premium into it to help clean things up a bit and out of curiosity (to see if i get better gas mileage etc -I have so far btw)

so yeah, its a weird rocking feeling when sitting in the cab. its not crazy or even that noticeable but its there

wanted to start this thread because:
  • I want to be more active on here
  • I want to be able to help anyone else that may have similar issue
  • even though there are similar posts to this, there are none i could find that described it this way so maybe its different

I plan on changing out all of the sensors and control valves as the truck has, as well as bushings and seals and joints etc
and doing one of those may solve this problem (i say that because im thinking throttle position sensor??)

but i def wanted to make sure this was discussed as it may help others in the future plus i am a bit baffled as to why this is happening
and why it isnt accompanied by any other symptoms (as far as I can tell) or code lights

anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?
anyone else have this happen to them?

curious to hear/read your thoughts.

thanks everyone. and yes, this is me being brief:grin2:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Felix;

I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but, my first thought would be to have your motor mounts checked to see if any are broken, missing or loose.

You also mentioned pumping nothing but premium gas in your XK to help clean things out;

I'd highly recommend getting the fuel system flush/service done, it's part of your regular maintenance schedule and that will be far more effective in flushing & cleaning out your fuel system and fuel injectors, then just pumping super-unleaded into it.

At 150,000 miles, if it hasn't been done yet, you're definitely long overdue.

#3 · (Edited)
I have done NOTHING else other than pump premium into it to help clean things up a bit and out of curiosity (to see if i get better gas mileage etc -I have so far btw)

According to the OM my 06 4.7 and the 3.7 are designed to work on octane rating of 87 and under normal conditions using premium will not provide a benefit and under some circumstances may result in poorer performance. Have read that it premium may cause the check angine light to come on.

#4 ·
That is correct, @Creek.
[/IMG]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.