Roaring Engine Sound: Exhaust Leak or Bad Fan Clutch Problem?? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Points: 308, Level: 6 Points: 308, Level: 6 Points: 308, Level: 6
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 150k
Question Roaring Engine Sound: Exhaust Leak or Bad Fan Clutch Problem??

So, I drive a tank . . . or at least it feels that way sometimes.

My commander sounds like a huge commercial jet engine or military tank is driving through my parking garage ( or anywhere really)
and while I have some theories, namely the fan clutch and an exhaust leak, I wanted to get some insight and pointers from you all as
to whether it is one or the other, or both.

I figure that many of you know that roaring engine sound I'm talking about . . . I have that, all the time.

I am also pretty sure I have an exhaust leak but havent been able to detect it yet because it has rained every weekend here in Miami since I bought the truck 2 months ago.

I plan on attaching a shop vac to the exhaust and blowing into the tailpipe then using soapy water onto the exhaust manifold pipes etc and looking for bubbles in order to identify a leak. I will then use extreme temp exhaust "glue" to cover the holes up. Hoping that there are no major cracks or holes but i dont think there are as it only sounds slightly like an open header racecar...nothing too crazy

UNLESS

the roaring sound is from a major exhaust leak??

I don't think it is BUT i wanted to defer to the expertise and wisdom of previous owners that may have already gone through either both of these isssues or one vs the other and also had the roaring sound.

Please chime in with your thoughts, insight, questions, and suggestions. Thank you!

20Q8 Jeep Commander 4.7L V8
Master Certified Backyard Mechanic
Pro-Am Youtube DIYer
Christian |Dad of Boys | Mortgage Broker | Digital Marketer |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Psalm 16:11
#WWG1WGA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:38 AM
Points: 2,314, Level: 29 Points: 2,314, Level: 29 Points: 2,314, Level: 29
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 123000
If your fan clutch is bad, you should feel it really tight, if not totally locked up when rotated by hand. Obviously, check this with engine off, and cold.
If the engine is started up cold, you can also quickly hold your hands near the exhaust pipes/joints and feel for puffs of air escaping.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Thanks for the reply Stircrayzy. When I was replacing the alternator the other day i moved the fan out of the way several times with no issue.

So, think its exhaust only?

Anything else that could cause it to sound like that?

Pro-Am Youtube DIYer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#WWG1WGA

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,919, Level: 94 Points: 23,919, Level: 94 Points: 23,919, Level: 94
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

4WD
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefelixrodriguez View Post
Thanks for the reply Stircrayzy. When I was replacing the alternator the other day i moved the fan out of the way several times with no issue.

So, think its exhaust only?

Anything else that could cause it to sound like that?
Sounds like a good place to start; You and I have the same Powertrain and I have not experienced what you're describing;

Then again, I also put in a new AFE Cat-back exhaust system about 2 1/2 years or so, ago.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:15 PM
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 177K
I don't think I would be forcing air through the exhaust with a shop vac. There are restrictions in the muffler and the cats, so I wouldn't do it. Its pretty easy to tell the difference between an exhaust leak and a bad fan clutch. Get under the car when it is idling and listen. Also listen at the engine bay near the exhaust manifolds. An exhaust leak is a raspy sound, not like you have indicated, which was a roaring sound.

The roaring sound could indicate a possible problem with the fan clutch. Simply remove the serpentine fan belt. If it goes away then it could be either the fan clutch or a bearing issue with either the alternator, idler pulley or something else that rotates when the belt is on. I would remove the belt first, since that is easy. If the problem goes away, put it back on and then take a long screwdriver and place it on each of the suspect parts (except the fan clutch) and listen with the screwdriver on your ear - this will help to isolate the problem.

Take your time and be patient. You will find the source of the problem.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Thanks for the input DanielDD

Pro-Am Youtube DIYer

#WWG1WGA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Tags
exhaust , fan clutch , loud , roaring engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in