Jeep Commander Forum banner

Minnesota troubles

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Hpgarage 
#1 ·
I am a new member and just had an issue pop up. Jeep wont start I turn the key and does nothing all lights come on radio and windows work turn ignition off and back to start and sometimes it starts and other times it doesn't and it takes many turns of the switch before it will start. I have replaced the ignition switch- I put a brand new Mopar starter in July of 2018 when I installed the new motor. The jeep has 15-20 thousands miles since new motor. It doesn't matter if its a short trip or a long trip it will do it occasionally but I want it fixed. I hate to be out on a trail ride and it quits all together. I have read on the internet that there is a yellow wire to the starter that needs the terminal blade replaced because of corrosion and loose fitting. I have also read it needs to be re flashed. Has anybody had this happen and what was the fix. I not sure how to get to yellow wire easily on a hemi motor because things are tight if you have done this please explain how you did this fix this problem.

thank you

#2 · (Edited)
I am a new member and just had an issue pop up. Jeep wont start I turn the key and does nothing all lights come on radio and windows work turn ignition off and back to start and sometimes it starts and other times it doesn't and it takes many turns of the switch before it will start. I have replaced the ignition switch- I put a brand new Mopar starter in July of 2018 when I installed the new motor. The jeep has 15-20 thousands miles since new motor. It doesn't matter if its a short trip or a long trip it will do it occasionally but I want it fixed. I hate to be out on a trail ride and it quits all together. I have read on the internet that there is a yellow wire to the starter that needs the terminal blade replaced because of corrosion and loose fitting. I have also read it needs to be re flashed. Has anybody had this happen and what was the fix. I not sure how to get to yellow wire easily on a hemi motor because things are tight if you have done this please explain how you did this fix this problem.

thank you
@Hpgarage;

Are you receiving any DTC's in the EVIC?

If not, my first advice to you would be to hook up an OBD-II scanner and see if you have any stored DTC's that may give you some insight as to what's going on.

As far as the yellow wire going to the starter, you only need to check and see if there is corrosion on the connection where it connects to the starter - if there is, disconnect your battery and then disconnect the yellow wire from the starter and thoroughly clean it with a wire brush until there is no sign of corrosion. Then reconnect it and reconnect your battery and see what happens.

You could also have a bad or intermittent, frayed or broken ground wire somewhere. I would check all of your ground wires going to the chassis and make sure they are all clean and have good metal to metal contact.

Also you said you have replaced the ignition switch & the starter, you might consider having your battery & alternator checked out if the other items I mentioned, don't turn up anything.

EDIT: There is also a fuse for the ignition switch in the junction block; I'd check that fuse, make sure it's clean and making good contact;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forum...iscussion/55657-junction-block-explained.html

#3 ·
I have an OB II scanner and there are no codes showing that are stored or active, Is there a diagram I can look at to see any bad grounds or maybe forgot to connect a ground when I installed the new engine

#4 ·
#7 · (Edited)
Reactions: Big Blue
#8 ·
I want to thank you all for your help. This will keep me busy for a couple of days. I will keep you all posted as to the updates and if I find anything I will let everyone know so maybe it can help other users with the same problem.

#9 ·
I had the sporadic non/start on the turn of the key on my 2007 Commander 6 cyl. First fix was jiggle or push on wire going to starter. This always fixed it but was hard to reach so I had the wire replaced. It’s been several years and it hasn’t recurred.

#10 ·
Also keep in mind a cable can go bad in the middle also! I had an s10 for 20 years and each of the main battery cables had become completely corroded right down in the belly of the wire, at the bottom of the U shape before going up slightly toward the connection.
Lucky its simple to diagnose, just use a set of jumper cables to bypass either (one at a time) positive or ground while trying to start it up.

In my case i attribute it to dunking in rivers and lakes out wheelin, and water getting into the insulation.

#11 ·
Thank you all for your help- I think I found the problem. When I removed the blown engine I left the transmission linkage cable hooked up and it may have gotten out of adjustment. I checked all the ground cables and they seemed fine I re-tightened them and after that- one day it would not start. I moved the shifter handle out and back into place and it started. so I tried repeating the start starting problem and I got it to not start again and repeated this several times. So now i need to figure out what and how to adjust something so I know it works. It acts like the neutral safety switch is out of adjustment. So I will see where it goes from here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.