Minnesota troubles - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Points: 107, Level: 2 Points: 107, Level: 2 Points: 107, Level: 2
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 186,000 new motor at 166,000
Minnesota troubles

I am a new member and just had an issue pop up. Jeep wont start I turn the key and does nothing all lights come on radio and windows work turn ignition off and back to start and sometimes it starts and other times it doesn't and it takes many turns of the switch before it will start. I have replaced the ignition switch- I put a brand new Mopar starter in July of 2018 when I installed the new motor. The jeep has 15-20 thousands miles since new motor. It doesn't matter if its a short trip or a long trip it will do it occasionally but I want it fixed. I hate to be out on a trail ride and it quits all together. I have read on the internet that there is a yellow wire to the starter that needs the terminal blade replaced because of corrosion and loose fitting. I have also read it needs to be re flashed. Has anybody had this happen and what was the fix. I not sure how to get to yellow wire easily on a hemi motor because things are tight if you have done this please explain how you did this fix this problem.

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 23,855, Level: 94 Points: 23,855, Level: 94 Points: 23,855, Level: 94
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 101,200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpgarage View Post
I am a new member and just had an issue pop up. Jeep wont start I turn the key and does nothing all lights come on radio and windows work turn ignition off and back to start and sometimes it starts and other times it doesn't and it takes many turns of the switch before it will start. I have replaced the ignition switch- I put a brand new Mopar starter in July of 2018 when I installed the new motor. The jeep has 15-20 thousands miles since new motor. It doesn't matter if its a short trip or a long trip it will do it occasionally but I want it fixed. I hate to be out on a trail ride and it quits all together. I have read on the internet that there is a yellow wire to the starter that needs the terminal blade replaced because of corrosion and loose fitting. I have also read it needs to be re flashed. Has anybody had this happen and what was the fix. I not sure how to get to yellow wire easily on a hemi motor because things are tight if you have done this please explain how you did this fix this problem.

thank you
@Hpgarage;

Are you receiving any DTC's in the EVIC?

If not, my first advice to you would be to hook up an OBD-II scanner and see if you have any stored DTC's that may give you some insight as to what's going on.

As far as the yellow wire going to the starter, you only need to check and see if there is corrosion on the connection where it connects to the starter - if there is, disconnect your battery and then disconnect the yellow wire from the starter and thoroughly clean it with a wire brush until there is no sign of corrosion. Then reconnect it and reconnect your battery and see what happens.

You could also have a bad or intermittent, frayed or broken ground wire somewhere. I would check all of your ground wires going to the chassis and make sure they are all clean and have good metal to metal contact.

Also you said you have replaced the ignition switch & the starter, you might consider having your battery & alternator checked out if the other items I mentioned, don't turn up anything.

EDIT: There is also a fuse for the ignition switch in the junction block; I'd check that fuse, make sure it's clean and making good contact;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...explained.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-17-2019 at 03:35 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

4WD
I have an OB II scanner and there are no codes showing that are stored or active, Is there a diagram I can look at to see any bad grounds or maybe forgot to connect a ground when I installed the new engine

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
I have an OB II scanner and there are no codes showing that are stored or active, Is there a diagram I can look at to see any bad grounds or maybe forgot to connect a ground when I installed the new engine
There is also a fuse for the ignition switch in the junction block; I'd check that fuse, make sure it's clean and making good contact; I'd probably check this FIRST before you do anything else.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...explained.html

Let me see if I can dig up a diagram for you;

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Let me see if I can dig up a diagram for you;
I haven't had any luck coming up with any engine diagrams for the 5.7L Hemi; You may have to reach out to somebody here that has the .PDF service manual for the 5.7L Hemi and see if they could upload some diagrams for you;

I know there are a few guys on the forum that have it.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:09 PM
Points: 752, Level: 14 Points: 752, Level: 14 Points: 752, Level: 14
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Model year: 2006
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 177K
Quote:
Speaking of grounds....

There is a ground wire on the PCM. Check to make sure it is intact and secured. There are two grounds from the chassis to the engine. In the back of each cylinder head there is a bolt that secures the chassis ground. Check this as well. It will be difficult to see, but may be worthwhile to assure these grounds are properly secured.

There may be others, but I encountered these when I removed my engine last month..
Big Blue likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 04:59 AM
Points: 32,999, Level: 100 Points: 32,999, Level: 100 Points: 32,999, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

4WD
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
Look at this for wire routing https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...locations.html
In the first PDF see page 10 up of the PDF for 5.7 starter. Figure 14. Wire labels starting with G are ground connections.
Big Blue likes this.

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town

Last edited by rblapham; 09-18-2019 at 07:04 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

4WD
I want to thank you all for your help. This will keep me busy for a couple of days. I will keep you all posted as to the updates and if I find anything I will let everyone know so maybe it can help other users with the same problem.
Big Blue likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 09:32 PM
Points: 1,413, Level: 21 Points: 1,413, Level: 21 Points: 1,413, Level: 21
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

I had the sporadic non/start on the turn of the key on my 2007 Commander 6 cyl. First fix was jiggle or push on wire going to starter. This always fixed it but was hard to reach so I had the wire replaced. It’s been several years and it hasn’t recurred.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:52 PM
Points: 2,301, Level: 29 Points: 2,301, Level: 29 Points: 2,301, Level: 29
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

4WD
Current Mileage: 123000
Also keep in mind a cable can go bad in the middle also! I had an s10 for 20 years and each of the main battery cables had become completely corroded right down in the belly of the wire, at the bottom of the U shape before going up slightly toward the connection.
Lucky its simple to diagnose, just use a set of jumper cables to bypass either (one at a time) positive or ground while trying to start it up.

In my case i attribute it to dunking in rivers and lakes out wheelin, and water getting into the insulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in