5.7 Heads Heads Heads! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 141000
5.7 Heads Heads Heads!

New member here, Hi!
I have owned multiple Jeeps in the past and even another with the 5.7.

Long story short.
I purchased a 2006 Commander last week with the 5.7 Hemi, Limited and QD2.
It had been parked for a while but drove great and no major issues that we could see.
My son drove it the first day and it likely overheated (very little water left in the radiator by the time I got to it).
It won't start. Compression test shows 4 cylinders with 0 compression.

SO. I believe I am replacing heads but have not removed them yet.
I have read as much as I can on this forum and plenty of others over the last few days and here is what I am thinking/asking.

1. For me to pull these heads and replace with a remanufactured units is going to be about 1K give or take. IF I go this route is there any reason for me to replace the rockers, push rods, head gaskets? I would probably replace the head bolts anyway. EVERYONE says that the new ones won't have the same issues! How can I prove that?

2. What about putting the 2009+ stock heads? This gives me the updates in valve seats, lifters, etc? then replace push rods, rockers, head bolts and head gaskets? I assume? Not much more than the first option but I should have the best of in head reliability correct?

3. IF I decide to go with upgraded heads (Several aftermarket options) it will cost much closer to 3K give or take $500. What would get with the extra money? extra performance is going to be negligable? better reliability in the future? maybe? IF I go this route I assume it would probably make more sense or even necessary to replace head gaskets, push rods, rockers and head bolts. ANYTHING I am missing that you might recommend?

Keep in mind I have not owned the car for a long time and this is a 3rd (or actually like 5th) car for the family.

Any experience and insight is appreciated.
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:33 PM
Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

4WD
Current Mileage: 124000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xtreme View Post
New member here, Hi!
I have owned multiple Jeeps in the past and even another with the 5.7.

Long story short.
I purchased a 2006 Commander last week with the 5.7 Hemi, Limited and QD2.
It had been parked for a while but drove great and no major issues that we could see.
My son drove it the first day and it likely overheated (very little water left in the radiator by the time I got to it).
It won't start. Compression test shows 4 cylinders with 0 compression.

SO. I believe I am replacing heads but have not removed them yet.
I have read as much as I can on this forum and plenty of others over the last few days and here is what I am thinking/asking.

1. For me to pull these heads and replace with a remanufactured units is going to be about 1K give or take. IF I go this route is there any reason for me to replace the rockers, push rods, head gaskets? I would probably replace the head bolts anyway. EVERYONE says that the new ones won't have the same issues! How can I prove that?

2. What about putting the 2009+ stock heads? This gives me the updates in valve seats, lifters, etc? then replace push rods, rockers, head bolts and head gaskets? I assume? Not much more than the first option but I should have the best of in head reliability correct?

3. IF I decide to go with upgraded heads (Several aftermarket options) it will cost much closer to 3K give or take $500. What would get with the extra money? extra performance is going to be negligable? better reliability in the future? maybe? IF I go this route I assume it would probably make more sense or even necessary to replace head gaskets, push rods, rockers and head bolts. ANYTHING I am missing that you might recommend?

Keep in mind I have not owned the car for a long time and this is a 3rd (or actually like 5th) car for the family.

Any experience and insight is appreciated.
Michael
It may need a lot more than heads - If it got hot enough it may have dropped a valve seat. If it did it could have destroyed the #4 piston and possibly the cylinder bore. A fairly common thing to happen to the 5.7 Hemi if overheated.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdalameda View Post
It may need a lot more than heads - If it got hot enough it may have dropped a valve seat. If it did it could have destroyed the #4 piston and possibly the cylinder bore. A fairly common thing to happen to the 5.7 Hemi if overheated.
Yes, I won't know if there is more damage until I pull the heads I am (fingers crossed) at the moment that replacing the heads is all I will need.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 11:37 PM
Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

4WD
Quote:

Chrysler made changes to the 5.7 HEMI in either 2008 or 2009, so those parts may not be compatible with the '06.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Last edited by jeep5253; 10-15-2019 at 01:37 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 06:43 PM
Points: 1,088, Level: 17 Points: 1,088, Level: 17 Points: 1,088, Level: 17
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 177K
4 cylinders with 0 compression....

BEFORE you pull the heads, take the valve covers off and make sure there are no rockers that have come loose. If the valve train looks good, then pull the heads. I sincerely hope you don't have any piston damage. I'm going though this right now with a 4.7L engine. Only one piston had damage. I opted to pull the engine to replace the piston as it is near impossible to do it with the engine in the vehicle. I am also changing out the oil pump for good measure.

Don't buy any heads until you know exactly what your investigation uncovers.

Best of luck to you.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

4WD
I appreciate the feedback.
I have now found several sources for heads remanufactured and at least 1 of them makes it clear that the valve issues have been fixed.
I have also talked with Inertia about my options from them.

I will be pulling the valve covers hopefully tomorrow and will be pulling both heads assuming all looks as expected.

Michael
jeep5253 likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:04 AM
Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100

4WD
Quote:
I appreciate the feedback.
I have now found several sources for heads remanufactured and at least 1 of them makes it clear that the valve issues have been fixed.
I have also talked with Inertia about my options from them.

I will be pulling the valve covers hopefully tomorrow and will be pulling both heads assuming all looks as expected.

Michael
Good luck! I hope this solves your problem.

Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Progress has been significantly reduced since I am working outside and we have had high winds, rain, and it gets dark early. However, I got both valve covers and Intake removed. Everything looks exactly as I expected. I should have both Heads off later today if I can find a time to work in this weather.

Fingers crossed.
Michael
jeep5253 likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:50 PM

4WD
Quote:
Progress has been significantly reduced since I am working outside and we have had high winds, rain, and it gets dark early. However, I got both valve covers and Intake removed. Everything looks exactly as I expected. I should have both Heads off later today if I can find a time to work in this weather.

Fingers crossed.
Michael
I hope the weather will give you a break. Good luck!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

4WD
I got the Pass side head removed (all things considered this is an easier job than I was expecting and the engine so far has been reasonable to work on). However, 2 of the pistons are compromised, the 3rd one has dropped the seat but hasn't done any damage. 4th is fine on that side. Drivers side only has 1 without vacuum and so before I go any further I thought I would do some more research on my my options.

From preliminary research it seems like it is probably easier to pull the engine than try to do the work in the car?

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in