Vibration above 70mph - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Problems / Dealer Service Having a problem with your vehicle? Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 150k
Vibration above 70mph

I'm trying to track down a high speed vibration. Does anyone have a recommendation for a drive line shop in Washington state? Also does anyone know what the correct driveline length is for the 5.7 with QDII is? I've replaced virtually the entire drive train except the rear drive line transmission and transfer case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:30 PM
Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100 Points: 59,678, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac509 View Post
I'm trying to track down a high speed vibration. Does anyone have a recommendation for a drive line shop in Washington state? Also does anyone know what the correct driveline length is for the 5.7 with QDII is? I've replaced virtually the entire drive train except the rear drive line transmission and transfer case.
Have you had the tires balanced?

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

4WD
I've had them road force balanced multiple times with no changes in the vibration

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:32 AM
Points: 383, Level: 7 Points: 383, Level: 7 Points: 383, Level: 7
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

Power-Train: 3.0L CRD
4WD
Current Mileage: 180000
Garage
It could be many things - unblanced tires, bent wheels, sticking brake (also e brake), or what i recently saw on youtube it also can be a grease build up in your rear driveshaft (
)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:46 AM
Points: 3,410, Level: 36 Points: 3,410, Level: 36 Points: 3,410, Level: 36
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 130k
front length for rzeppa drive shaft 34.75" flange to flange on mine. not sure of the rear...with ujoints is much more durable IMO than the rzeppa front.
if you have a front with 2 rzeppa CVs, id take another look at it. and check the front diff isolator from the front cover to the frame too. if you have an aftermarket poly bushings, then you will have more vibrations as well...

and you replaced both front CV axles too? how do the output shafts of the xfer case feel with driveshafts off? any play?

and you replaced wheel bearings too? front and rear or they are ok?

have you swapped tires/wheels around to see if the vibration moves? newer tires? or some with wear?

did you take it to the same place to get balanced? if so, get a second opinion...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:47 AM
Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

4WD
Current Mileage: 141000
Drivelines Northwest I have used multiple times over the last 20 years and they are excellent! They have multiple locations I believe.

Where do you "feel" this vibration? Steering wheel? seat? arm rest? any noise or just vibration? Does it go away above or below specific speed? You are certain it isn't the road I assume? Does it change with engine speed or car speed?

Michael
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

4WD
The vibration at around 70 starts with shaking the seats and by 80 it gets pretty intense rattling the entire dash board. At 65mph it's smooth as glass, zero noise or viberation. It's definitely drive train related because it only occurs on the gas especially under load going up a hill.

All the bushings and mounts have been changed, both cv joints are new front drive shaft is new. Both wheel bearings up front are new. The rear wheel bearings I'm not sure if they're new but I just had the rear differential rebuilt and I assume the shop looked at the condition of the bearings since I was trying to track down a buzzing noise. I've had the tires balanced multiple times at mutlieple different places with no changes. The output shafts on the t case feel tight and the shop said they thought the case was good. The front driveshaft was pretty rough when I pulled it so the only thing I can assume is it's the rear driveline.

Last edited by Jmac509; 10-18-2019 at 03:50 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:24 PM
Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

4WD
Current Mileage: 141000
I am not an expert on these specific vehicles yet so take what I am going to say with that in mind. If sounds like a front driveshaft or front suspension bushings/angles/etc, definitely not tires/wheels/wheel bearings etc. Doesn't sound like a rear driveshaft either but it is pretty easy to pull it and have it balanced just to make sure.

Is the Jeep lifted? When was it last aligned? After all of the bushings and front suspension work?
Michael
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:51 AM
Points: 1,234, Level: 19 Points: 1,234, Level: 19 Points: 1,234, Level: 19
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%

Model year: 2010
4WD
Current Mileage: 90,000
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac509 View Post
The vibration at around 70 starts with shaking the seats and by 80 it gets pretty intense rattling the entire dash board. At 65mph it's smooth as glass, zero noise or viberation. It's definitely drive train related because it only occurs on the gas especially under load going up a hill.

All the bushings and mounts have been changed, both cv joints are new front drive shaft is new. Both wheel bearings up front are new. The rear wheel bearings I'm not sure if they're new but I just had the rear differential rebuilt and I assume the shop looked at the condition of the bearings since I was trying to track down a buzzing noise. I've had the tires balanced multiple times at mutlieple different places with no changes. The output shafts on the t case feel tight and the shop said they thought the case was good. The front driveshaft was pretty rough when I pulled it so the only thing I can assume is it's the rear driveline.
I just recently had a very similar problem. Above 60mph any acceleration or load, and it felt like something was going to fly apart. In m y case it was because I changed my front drive shaft. I was (and still hope to) replacing the stock rzeppa on both ends, with a u joint Double Cardan. Tried a couple of different versions. The shop could find no balance or joint problems with the shafts. I reinstalled my stock shaft and there is no vibration. You my consider re-replacing your front shaft. Mine is a 2010 Hemi QD2 with the double ended rzeppa CVs, it measures 35 5/8" flange face to flange face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in