Jeep Commander Forum banner

P0404 Engine Code

10K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  jeep5253 
#1 ·
Greetings fellow Commander owners,
I searched this forum for a related topic to code P0404. My search did not find a thread relative to my Commander, 2006 5.7L Hemi. The engine code is P0404 which refers to the EGR valve. I replaced the valve with all new gaskets as it was rusty and the vehicle is at 194K miles, that one bolt behind the alternator is a bear, I cut 3/8" off to reinstall. Two weeks went by and the code reappears. I did a reset with my BlueDrive scanner and another two weeks the code is back. My 2002 Dodge Durango had a similar problem with the EGR and the problem was resolved with a gas cap. So, I replaced the gas cap. The code has returned after another reset. Engine runs fine and idles smoothly. I have lost about a mile per gallon in performance. Spark plugs have less than 6K miles running time. My next step will be around the PCM for connections and a 5V presence. I have heard the MAP sensor fixed the same situation but no code is shown for the MAP so I am not sure replacing the MAP sensor is worth the money. Also, NO vacuum leaks were found. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and what was the cause of the problem?

Puzzled, Fish4drum

#2 · (Edited)
Greetings fellow Commander owners,
I searched this forum for a related topic to code P0404. My search did not find a thread relative to my Commander, 2006 5.7L Hemi. The engine code is P0404 which refers to the EGR valve. I replaced the valve with all new gaskets as it was rusty and the vehicle is at 194K miles, that one bolt behind the alternator is a bear, I cut 3/8" off to reinstall. Two weeks went by and the code reappears. I did a reset with my BlueDrive scanner and another two weeks the code is back. My 2002 Dodge Durango had a similar problem with the EGR and the problem was resolved with a gas cap. So, I replaced the gas cap. The code has returned after another reset. Engine runs fine and idles smoothly. I have lost about a mile per gallon in performance. Spark plugs have less than 6K miles running time. My next step will be around the PCM for connections and a 5V presence. I have heard the MAP sensor fixed the same situation but no code is shown for the MAP so I am not sure replacing the MAP sensor is worth the money. Also, NO vacuum leaks were found. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and what was the cause of the problem?

Puzzled, Fish4drum
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0404

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Diagnostic Trouble Codes

P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit Range/Performance
EGR position sensor signal does not correlate to EGR duty cycle.

#3 ·
My scanner report indicated eight (8) possible causes for P0404 code.
EGR sensor connector damaged
EGR sensor ground circuit is open
EGR sensor has failed
EGR sensor reference 5v circuit is open
EGR sensor circuit is open or shorted to ground
EGR solenoid valve actuator loose, sticking or blocked
PCM has failed

Reported fixes are;
Performed Battery disconnect/reconnect / Performed
Clean EGR passage / Performed
Replace EGR / Replaced
Clean EGR connector or replace / Cleaned
Clean IAT sensor and connector / Replaced
Clean MAP sensor and connector /
Replace PCM /
Performed Programming of PCM

I have not performed anything with the PCM, checked for the 5v supply or the MAP sensor.

#4 ·
My scanner report indicated eight (8) possible causes for P0404 code.
EGR sensor connector damaged
EGR sensor ground circuit is open
EGR sensor has failed
EGR sensor reference 5v circuit is open
EGR sensor circuit is open or shorted to ground
EGR solenoid valve actuator loose, sticking or blocked
PCM has failed

Reported fixes are;
Performed Battery disconnect/reconnect / Performed
Clean EGR passage / Performed
Replace EGR / Replaced
Clean EGR connector or replace / Cleaned
Clean IAT sensor and connector / Replaced
Clean MAP sensor and connector /
Replace PCM /
Performed Programming of PCM

I have not performed anything with the PCM, checked for the 5v supply or the MAP sensor.
You might find this useful down the road;

https://store.allcomputerresources....viS8mUmjBqV7b0IZ7rlLj9CBszj4TbUxoC_9AQAvD_BwE

#6 ·
So, from my description of action taken to troubleshoot the Commander's P0404 issue, am I on the right track? Have you dealt with this particular issue before? If yes, what was the outcome? Best regards

#7 · (Edited)
fish4drum said:
Thank you, @Big Blue , for PCM supplier info. I used another source recently for my 2000 Dodge Durango with success after returning the first PCM for another under warranty, a company in Cary, NC. You can't have too many sources. I'm hoping my commander does not require a PCM.

No problem at all @fish4drum;

I have not dealt with this particular issue before myself, but, from everything I've read that you've done and are still doing, it sounds to me like you're on the correct trouble-shooting path.

#8 ·
Finally replaced the MAP sensor and the problem went away. Just FYI for a future visitor to this problem, start with the MAP sensor which is mounted rear top of engine with limited space to remove wire and turn 90 deg for removal. Best regards

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.