Jeep Commander Forum banner

Front end mods needed??

11K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  trev0006 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry the pics are kind of faded or whatever it was 4:30 PM so it's getting dark out ... Here's a shot of the front end underneath I had a few questions

Is that long black plastic part the one we romve for off road deep snow use?

And a dumb question?? ... is the rad suposed to be out in the open like that? .. I'm thinking it's going to make a poor snow plow :(

I also found some craked plastic parts

On the right side of that chrome plated plastic cover. (you can see the rad in the top left too)

I was wondering if there's a factory skid plate avilable for that area? or maybe mine is missing?

OH! ... info added ... does anone have a pic of the factory tow hooks on the front?

See less See more
#2 ·
Is that long black plastic part the one we romve for off road deep snow use?
Yes, many of us took it off right away and tossed it. No good for any type of off-roading.

#5 · (Edited)
OK .. I was wondering if that was it or maybe it was already removed .... I didn't want to take off the wrong part :)

... thanks ... I'll put it in the attic or something incase I trade up some day

Jeep5253 .. thanks for the pics ... I assume they are bolt ons? .. I'll check Jeeps web site for order info ... I checked and I have the other skid plate ... I might see about making one up for the rad area for myself ... it's looks a little fragile to me :(

#3 ·
#4 ·
And a dumb question?? ... is the rad suposed to be out in the open like that? .. I'm thinking it's going to make a poor snow plow :(
Yep. That is the way it is made.

#6 · (Edited)
I was wondering if there's a factory skid plate avilable for that area? or maybe mine is missing?
Yours is not missing. There is not a factory skid plate for the front. But there is a factory skid for the oil pan/front suspension area.

Factory Skid Plates

#8 ·
Yours is not missing. There is not a factory skid plate for the front. But there is a factory skid for the oil pan/front suspension area.

Factory Skid Plates pics
Good I have all those ones .. you never know I figured it was possible it got removed for service or whatever.

I've got a few mods in mind ... so I should keep this skid plate one high on the list I think ... I worked for years as a certified Millwright and Welder so I'm handy at fabricating ...

I'm thinking 3/16" Stanless Steel or flat black plate steel ... and some slots for air to get through .. maybe try to duplicate the look of that plastic piece and have it extend that far down to replace it as it's broken.

Either that or I'll end up waiting for Get Lost 4X4 to come up with something better and just order it :)

#7 ·
is any one building aftermarket skids for the XK?..as i ripped mine off in a small D.I.Y. experiment including a rock and some snow..?

if so can some one post pics

i was looking under there after the experiment and noticed the front diff is wide open to rocks..and i'd also like to have a skid for the rad...when i hit the rock i was paniced that i could have hit the rad

#9 ·
#12 ·
Here is a pic of the 4xGuard on Hemi's Commander:

#13 ·
How do you remove that bottom black valance. It looks like you just have to pull out the pins...is it that easy??? Are there any fasteners in the wheel wells???

Thanks
Tim

#14 ·
How do you remove that bottom black valance. It looks like you just have to pull out the pins...is it that easy??? Are there any fasteners in the wheel wells???
Thanks
Tim
I didn't take mine off yet but in the manual it says no tools are required

#15 ·
THANKS...that is the way it looked.

#17 ·
Just did it...took all of 1 minute.

Thanks!

Tim

#18 ·
Mine was even easier then that. I was messing around off roading with the XK one day after work and it just ripped off the front. After that I just kept it off because I knew I was going to Rausch Creek a few weeks later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.