Jeep Commander Forum banner

Upgrade Shocks/Springs

8K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  dhh3 
#1 ·
Looking for a good upgrade for front and rear shocks and springs. I'm running complete stock right now :-/ not happy with it... I want a stiffer ride all around geared more towards trails, I could care less about road driving. Also wondering if new S&S's will give me any more of a body lift:icon_confused: Budget is $800 or lower for full sets. Any suggestions are welcome.

#2 ·
Old Man Emu 2"lift includes shocks and springs (no spacers) for about $700. Install would be extra...

#3 · (Edited)
I have poly spacers installed, so total of 4"+ lift? would this cause any confusion in the computer? I know the superlift 4" runs fairly seamlessly with the traction systems but they also replace forks and hardware... Do you have a link to the OME kit?

#4 ·
Its not ok to put the OME lift with the spacer lift ! the ball joint wont take it!

#5 ·
:-( so there would be no point besides the better ride...unless I wanted to chance the ball joint......and i might just be that crazy...does anyone have a link to the OME kit?

#7 ·
I know superlift and OME make coils and shocks and some lift kits (rock krawler) provide front struts as part of their lift package. The question is how to pair them w/out breaking. I have a poly lift and a coil spacer that was included with it but no struts. As Ahmed said there is a new requirement for a stronger ball joint with the heavier load of coils/shocks that is generally only provided with full $1500+ 4" lifts. Maybe one of those companies offers just the ball joints? that way you can upgrade shocks/coils/and joints w/out the need for a full strut overhaul

#9 ·
Check into Bilstien Off Road racing shocks and struts. I am using them and they have done well on the highway as well as on the trails in Moab. Plus OME has just the spring replacements. Ross over a GetLost4x4 is using them and can answer your questions about which ones he got. I plan to get the OME springs this Spring for the front. My rear springs were already switched with the Superlift kit.

#10 ·
Phunkeydude,

I am surprised that you did not mention the new Upper Control Arms from Ross, especially since you were the first to pop your ball joint out of the socket. There is a thread on the forum about the UCA's

#11 ·
In addition to the beefed up Upper Control Arms, GetLost4x4 (a very active member and sponsor) also sells shocks. He knows the Commander well and could help you match up components for you.

#12 ·
I just installed a complete set of Bilstein shocks/struts. I purchased them as a complete set, $334.00, shipping included. It was $177.00 for installation which included new bushings in the front and an alignment. The ride is very tight now, no undilations and very controlled in all situations. I never gave this a thought, but I wish I had measured the height of the Commander before I did this because the front appears to be about 1/2 - 1" higher and the back is raised also, but I have lost the raked look of the Jeep. It is still somewhat higher in the back, but the look is more subtle. It appears that I can go one size bigger in tire size now and not have to worry about rubbing. I will have to go to the dealer this weekend with my tape measure and find a Jeep similar to mine for comparison so I can confirm the ride height change.

#13 ·
Do you have the model # or the type/series of Bilsteins. I know Ross's stuff is top of the line and I would love to be able to shell out 6 grand and do all my bumpers/skids/and hardware but I'm saving up for a hayabusa so I can cut my gas costs in half. And pull the most out of the jeep for as long as possible. The Bilstiens are a cheaper way out of my problem and until I get a pay raise, the Commander won't be getting another either. :(

#14 ·
Ross sells Bilsteins. You might want to get a price and PM him for a comparison.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.