Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum (https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/)
-   Interior Appearance Modifications (https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/41-interior-appearance-modifications/)
-   -   Replacing Interior OEM Lighting with LEDs (https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/41-interior-appearance-modifications/7201-replacing-interior-oem-lighting-leds.html)

nashmaximusoriya 12-18-2008 07:19 PM

I wanted to replace all the bulbs in the interior but find it really hard to remove the clear caps on all 4 overhead handles and the one behind the 2nd row ceiling. Please advise., thanks!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashmaximusoriya (Post 87351)
I wanted to replace all the bulbs in the interior but find it really hard to remove the clear caps on all 4 overhead handles and the one behind the 2nd row ceiling. Please advise., thanks!!!

was a pain to do but I managed to take the whole housing off....

webjones 12-18-2008 09:54 PM

Just curious - what did you replace them with? I'm assuming they didn't all just burn out but that you were modifying...

nashmaximusoriya 12-18-2008 11:06 PM

I replaced them with white LED bulbs. I was just bored today and wanted to do something quick to the car. Unfortunately the whole project took me 3 hours to do. I ended up removing the handles from the 2nd row in order to pry the plastic cap off. As for the front lights I just took a flathead and snapped it off pretty quickly. It looks pretty sick...i'm uploading the pics right now.

nashmaximusoriya 12-18-2008 11:55 PM

the finished product

4 Attachment(s)
1st row/2nd row map light - Xtec 6LED white #168 (qty 4)
3rd row dome - Xtec 12LED white # T10 (qty 1)
1st row floor - Xtec 1LED white #168 (qty 2)
Rear hatch - Xtec 1LED white #168 (qty 1)
license plate - Xtec 6LED white #168 (qty 2)

I only chose a 1LED for the 1st row floor and rear hatch because there will always be a low current at those 3 places and I figure a 6LED might drain the battery. I could be wrong...i'm no electrician.

Fohn_Jargo 12-19-2008 09:12 AM

Wow those are bright! It's a good thing you have those sunglasses in there!

05GT-O.C.D. 12-19-2008 09:23 AM

That looks great! Any info on the bulbs?

nashmaximusoriya 12-19-2008 10:38 AM

unfortunately I didn't get polarized sunglasses :( LOL if you want to get these bulbs you can go to vexmotorsports.com in San Jose, call them up and ask for Phong. I don't think you can order them online. I only buy the Xtec bulbs because I have been using them for my other cars. Other brands might be easier to get and perform exactly the same (maybe some color variance). PIAA and Nokya bulbs are nice but they cost an arm and a leg. PM me if you need help ordering them.

webjones 12-19-2008 11:39 AM

Very nice modification. Thanks for posting the images.

Yioryosimo 01-28-2009 04:45 PM

First off, very nice job. The lights look great! I am actually attempting to do the same mod and have purchased the same type LEDs you used. The plastic housings have been easy to remove but I do have 2 problems. 1) The 4 lights above the doors have a metal reflector covering the light. Any idea on how to safely remove it (tried to carefully pull it out but wouldn't budge. 2) I purchased a 12 LED bulb for the dome light behind the 2nd row (similar to this one here). Do I need one specially made for dome lights (like this one here) or is there a way to install the type that I already have? Thanks and hopefully, when I get this fixed, I will post pics of the car with the mods I have done thus far :)

BigPoppaJNutZ 01-28-2009 05:04 PM

Those look great! I am going to have to look into some for myself!!!