Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum (https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/)
-   Regular Service / Maintenance (https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/23-regular-service-maintenance/)
-   -   5.7 heater hose replacement (https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/23-regular-service-maintenance/74683-5-7-heater-hose-replacement.html)

Bunkie 07-04-2019 08:08 PM

5.7 heater hose replacement
 
I was wondering if anyone has had to replace their heater hoses. The location of the hose on the engine seems to be almost impossible without removing the intake manifold. Is there a different way to approach this problem?

Thanks!

Theterminator 07-04-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunkie (Post 539643)
I was wondering if anyone has had to replace their heater hoses. The location of the hose on the engine seems to be almost impossible without removing the intake manifold. Is there a different way to approach this problem?

Thanks!

@Bunkie Are you replacing because they started leaking down at the heater core?
If so, there is a way around replacing the whole hose. There's a post on here somewhere by a guy named heffercow where he left the hose in and replaced the the stock heater core connection with a standard t fitting and some hose clamps. I came across it the other day cause mine has been randomly dripping.

Creek 07-05-2019 08:09 AM

My local mechanic fix mine using a standard T several years ago, no problems since.

GTF 07-07-2019 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creek (Post 539657)
My local mechanic fix mine using a standard T several years ago, no problems since.

I did this fix last summer, no leaks since. I used a plastic T fitting (Gates brand I think) from O'Reilly's. There was plenty of extra hose already there to cut out the old fitting, add some hose clamps and put in the new fitting. Everything was 3/4" if I remember correctly, but don't quote me on that. The fitting was only a few dollars plus a jug of coolant. Was an easy repair.

Some have recommended brass fittings for added durability, but the plastic one seemed durable enough to me.

Make sure you use the correct coolant, not that universal crap!

This fix saved me a fair bit of time and money, as those hoses are rather expensive and difficult to replace. As mentioned above, I actually got this idea from heffercow. Unfortunately there won't be any more good ideas from him because a certain mod banned him for basically no reason at all.

Stircrayzy 07-08-2019 11:04 AM

Ive heard of this fix, have the slow drip, and need to find the size so i can cut and reinstall in one shot. If someone runs across that thread, please link it. !

Bunkie 07-10-2019 06:17 PM

I tried the plastic T fitting. The only problem was it didn't have large enough barbs on the on the tubes so I couldn't get the clamp tight enough. I was afraid I would crush the fitting. I am not a big fan of worm gear hose clamps anyway. It blew off while in the driveway. So I ordered a replacement hose. Only to find how difficult it is to replace.

I am thinking about cutting the hose from the engine and putting a straight brass barbed hose connector with Gates Power Grip SB Clamps between the old hose coming out of the engine and cutting the new hose to attach to the other end of the straight connector.

bdalameda 07-10-2019 08:15 PM

The aftermarket gates and continental brand hoses and tee fitting replacements are much better than the OEM hose and tee assembly as the Tee fitting and swages are metal and won't deteriorate with heat and time.

Sevenjays 07-10-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunkie (Post 539909)
I tried the plastic T fitting. The only problem was it didn't have large enough barbs on the on the tubes so I couldn't get the clamp tight enough. I was afraid I would crush the fitting. I am not a big fan of worm gear hose clamps anyway. It blew off while in the driveway. So I ordered a replacement hose. Only to find how difficult it is to replace.



I am thinking about cutting the hose from the engine and putting a straight brass barbed hose connector with Gates Power Grip SB Clamps between the old hose coming out of the engine and cutting the new hose to attach to the other end of the straight connector.



The spring clamps which I believe is what you are talking about are much better than worm screw clamps. You'll have to pull the intake to get at those fittings so your idea sounds like a good one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome