Jeep Commander Forum banner

DVD PLAYER INSTALL how to/pics

10K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  karl 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally got my my Clarion dvd player in. Here's the pics along with narration.

1.)

Unscrew hex's on dash, remove. You might as well pull the main AC/accessory panel now cuz it's splicin time and it's easier to thread your e-brake wire (or not)

2.)

Remove the old radio with the 4 black screws in each corner. I'm going from a 1.5 DIN to a 2 DIN. It's the stock 1 cd/radio. I purchased my wiring harness and CAN bus adapter, pre-wired them with each other and the dvd player. (makes it easier to do it outside the car than inside) If you don't know how to splice wires, dont attempt this, jus go to ur car audio installer. Quick-Lock splicers made this a lot faster (red rectangles).

3.)

This is the antenna adapter after i cracked the black circular tube in half with pliers. the white tip is what needs to go into most aftermarket players. I sealed it with heavy gauge electrical tape

4.)

This is what happens when you do not connect or improperly connect your parking brake dvd wire. *WHAT IM ABOUT TO EXPLAIN HOW TO DO IS ILLEGAL IN MANY STATES* take your ebrake wire and splice it with any dead wire while the car is on, until something is switched on a circuit. (i.e. my fog light switch) on most new players with this function it HAS to be a dead wire until after the player has turned on and registered all output. I tried just wiring it to my neg 12v socket but it never worked until the cd player had turned on first than i spliced. Really you could make a toggle switch if you felt the need but in the commander your already installed aftermarket parts, not on the CAN bus system are the fastest most reliable way to get rid of that damn ebrake guard.

5.) It says i can only add five images, and this would b five...so i dunno wont let me post finished
Fully installed with dash. I had to do a grip of trimming on the dash, about 1/2" on the bottom, to the pocket on the top, and to the outside circle of both sides. I got a little carried away on the left side and made a 1/4" too big slot, but a dash kit to repair it is in the works so i'm not too worried. it's done, it works, sounds great and i wont have to take the entire thing apart until next month when i put in my sub :mofo:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
AHAHAH i jus realized my needles are in one of those pictures, i'm diabetic for the record, no drugs

#4 ·
nice work, post a pic when you finish putting the dash back on.

#6 ·

you can see the left side has an issue but overall i dont really care. I'm pulling it out in a week when i get the ipod adaptor figured out, i want it through the glove box but that will involve a lot of awkward drilling. I'll add a small black trim kit to the inside of the dash where it really needs it. I also need to run my RCA's back to behind the middle row seats.

#10 ·
The girlfriend is, this is one of the only car jobs she's approved

#8 ·
Looking forward to wrap up pics. What model DVD did you end up installing?

#9 ·
Clarion MAX385vd. payed 360+shipping on ebay new in box. I have the infinity upgrade speakers in the jeep. Wired to this thing it makes a HUGE difference over stock in clarity and loudness. Bass quality is also significantly improved. The only problem i have with it is that with mp3 and data dvd's you can only scroll one at a time in a list viewing of 4, so it takes forever to seek through 150+songs. The xover frequency for bass is at 60khz which is fine for mids but when i get a sub in i question the ability of the head unit to get down to around 50-55khz which is where i usually tune my subs at (i like deep bass instead of the hammer to the head crap). It'll be a few months before i can afford 2 S15L7's and 2 hifonics amps. overall it's a very good unit for the price and video quality is comparable to alpines and kenwoods ive seen for 1000+

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.