Jeep Commander Forum banner

Flat tire inner .. and an fender liner

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  jeep5253 
#1 · (Edited)
I went on a LONG road trip today in the Commander 350 miles out and 250 back! left at 3 AM did two jobs and got back before dark. averaged 19 MPG too.

Unfortunatley a big muffler clamp got stuck in my right rear tire at 60 MPH ... the released into plastic the fender well, shattering it ...

There's a hole in the tire 2" wide right in the middle of the tread and a hole in the plastic right rear fender well liner a foot long :(

Oh well I got the spare put on and was back on the road in 15 minutes or so ... that long sectional jack handle works not too bad ...

... now I'm going to go scrap yard hunting for a P245/65R17 105S GoodYear Fortera .. and maybe a fender well liner too, if a new one is too pricey.

#3 ·
Did the TPMS do their job and warn you on time?

#4 ·
Not right away but after it was very helpfull

I looked over my shoulder to see what happned and seeing nothing pulled over right away.

When I got out to look (I though the fender flair was going to be cracked by the sound of it) the tire was still letting some air out ... so the air seconsr did nto have time to react I guess

the way the chunk of steel went into the tire was on an angle and it kind of sealed up a bit I guess and it was not really a blow out.

After I switched the tire with the spare it kept saying "Right Rear is low '0' PSI" ... then at some point it figured it out and reported the new tire as "right rear" as 28 PSI.

So I got air in it ASAP

I never checked yet to see if it knows the spare is low ... I put it back underneath for now as my wife used the XK today and she needed the space in the back.

#6 ·
I had a quick delivery at one job and it was kind of on the way only a 100 miles extra.

On the way from that job to the next I narrowly mised running into deer as well.

I was only going about 45 mph and it was still dark, the der turned and tried to run into the side of the Commander .... but I leaned on the hord and it hesitated enough to miss me entirely (seemed close but was probably 3 or 4 feet away)

#7 ·
If the spare is low it should give you the chime automatically. Every year when it starts getting cold, mine comes on until I put air in it. You might have a bad TPMS.

#8 ·
What PSI should it come on? .. it was down to 28 PSI.

I don't think the TPMS is bad because it's working fine now the spare is reading as right rear now at 40PSI after I put air in in it. (it knows how to learn where the tire IS I assume?)

I have not been back in thre Commander yet to see if it's reading the spare as Zero NOW ... it was when it was in the right rear position AND while I had it in the back for a short time before it figured out I swaped the spare

#9 ·
I went on a LONG road trip today in the Commander 350 miles out and 250 back! left at 3 AM did two jobs and got back before dark. averaged 19 MPG too.

Unfortunatley a big muffler clamp got stuck in my right rear tire at 60 MPH ... the released into plastic the fender well, shattering it ...

There's a hole in the tire 2" wide right in the middle of the tread and a hole in the plastic right rear fender well liner a foot long :(

Oh well I got the spare put on and was back on the road in 15 minutes or so ... that long sectional jack handle works not too bad ...

... now I'm going to go scrap yard hunting for a P245/65R17 105S GoodYear Fortera .. and maybe a fender well liner too, if a new one is too pricey.

I know this is an old post but did you or anyone else find the left rear fender well liner? I had a high speed blowout and the liner was destroyed. I can’t find it on line or at the local Jeep dealer. I’m sure it doesn’t help that the Jeep has been out of production for 10 years. If anyone had a solution it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

#10 ·
@Russ Your only option to get a fender liner is going to be a salvage yard.

#13 ·
Good luck! Let us know what you find.

#15 ·
@Flex Links would be very helpful.

#17 ·
Here is the Rock Auto link.

Here is the Mopar Parts Giant link. $56.25

Amazon $63.83.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.