Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2006 had an issue a few days ago where the battery was slowly going bad. I pulled the old battery but had to replace it while I got the correct battery size. When we started it up it would not shift into gear. When we placed in park in gave off a loud squeal/gind noise from the tranny. Had it towed. Mechanic said that issue was a low voltage reading to the tranny module. CarMax warranty said it will not cover problem. Not a big deal money wise but here is my problem. Since when does a dying battery cause a problem like this? Is this an isolated problem? We have had issues with the 4 wheel drive warning light coming on due to a faulty module code. Are the 2 related? One mechanic pulled a bad bearing code for the front dif when we were on the road one time. Doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Did you check to see if this is covered by the original powertrain warranty?

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Sounds like a coincidence to me. Even if a bad battery caused a low voltage problem to the trans module, it should be corrected as soon as you installed the new battery. And if there was a fault code stored, it certainly should have cleared itself since you said that you removed the original battery for a while before installing the new one.

And you mentioned a bad bearing code? That's a new one to me....I've never even heard of that before. I don't even know how there could be a sensor that determines if a bearing is bad or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A dealership in Arkansas pulled two codes when the "Check 4 Wheel Drive" light came on and then stayed on during a long road trip. I am pretty sure that one of the codes did indicate a worn bearing going bad. It stuck with me as very odd but who knows I may have misunderstood him. He got the warning light to stay off while we finished our trip back to Atlanta.

CarMax only found one code and it was a sensor. Not sure why they did not pick up the second code. Light stayed off for a while then resurfaced about 2 weeks before our tranny incident. I'm perplexed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.