Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys ...

First post .... and .... I know very little about the Commanders and have never worked on one except to change spark plugs and filters. So I come to the experts for thoughts and advice.

Daughter has an 06 Base, 3.7, 4x4, pure stock, no mods at all.

There is a growl/roar in the RH front that increases in volume and intensity as speed increases. I do not hear clicking as in a typical worn CVJoint on straight or turn. The growl/roar diminishes slightly when backing off throttle.

The Commander has brand new standard size tires installed within the past week. The growl/roar was present before new tires.

My thoughts are either the CVJoint is on its way to the dust bowl or the hub/bearing has seen better days.

What would your thoughts be?

Appreciate your time and ideas.

Chap
Kentucky

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
While it is painful to admit this, I set my jeep down and forgot to tighten the bolts on the wheel. Couldn't figure out why it was making a grinding noise particularly when gas was applied. Sure enough, the wheel was a short ways from coming off.

Other than a dumb move like this one, you are probably right on your guess (cv). Bearing would most likely get louder at speed and be somewhat throttle independent.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Speed related and not rpm related?

Based on your description my guess would be wheel bearing. They tend to growl in my experience

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Does it have Aluminum Wheels? Most Commanders do.

Aluminum wheels can have properly torqued lug nuts work themselves loose with heat cycling, and it is the summer months. Its rare, but it has happened to me on '99 Dodge Neon R/T.

I agree, its likely a bad wheel bearing, but it costs nothing to take a torque wrench or lug wrench and double check the lug nuts to eliminate that as a possible cause.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts