Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our 06 Commander at times goes into limp mode, usually on hot days. Turn it off for a few and then it is fine. Nothing pops up on the dash

What could be the culprit and what is the solution?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found this... any thoughts?

Delayed engagement of the automatic transmission may be due to a faulty internal cooler return filter. Our technicians tell us all cooler filters with the "AB" suffix on the part number are suspect and should be replaced.

RepairPal Verified Average mileage: 91,085 (20,018–163,186)
Drive Trains affected: 2WD, 4WD
3 model years affected: 2006, 2007, 2008

·
Registered
571 Posts
im pretty sure this info applies to the trans fitted with the 4.7l engine. Ours do not have the internal filter on the cooler lines.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The 3.7L come with the NAG1/W5A580 trans, the Mercedes 5spd, it only has one filter at the pickup. The warning you're reading is for the V8's trans, the 545RFE, it has two filters, a pickup and a canister filter that is the return from the cooler lines. Some of the filters cracked, letting all the fluid drain when the vehicle sat overnight and even some malfunctions in use because of pressure leaks in the system.

Have you checked your fluid level? Unfortunately, if you have the NAG1, you probably haven't, cause it is a dealer only service item.

If you've gone into limp mode, there should be some stored diagnostic codes. You can do the key dance and see what codes it spits on the EVIC/Odometer. You need the dealer special diagnostic tool to read all the codes stored that are NOT OBDII.

The key dance and scan tools at your local auto store only read out the OBDII codes, which is all the emissions and engine that effects emissions. On Chrysler vehicles, they will read out some of the most serious trans codes, but far from all the trans codes. Again, the dealer has the tool, perhaps a few big independent shops have the tool to read the other codes.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The 3.7L come with the NAG1/W5A580 trans, the Mercedes 5spd, it only has one filter at the pickup. The warning you're reading is for the V8's trans, the 545RFE, it has two filters, a pickup and a canister filter that is the return from the cooler lines. Some of the filters cracked, letting all the fluid drain when the vehicle sat overnight and even some malfunctions in use because of pressure leaks in the system.

Have you checked your fluid level? Unfortunately, if you have the NAG1, you probably haven't, cause it is a dealer only service item.

If you've gone into limp mode, there should be some stored diagnostic codes. You can do the key dance and see what codes it spits on the EVIC/Odometer. You need the dealer special diagnostic tool to read all the codes stored that are NOT OBDII.

The key dance and scan tools at your local auto store only read out the OBDII codes, which is all the emissions and engine that effects emissions. On Chrysler vehicles, they will read out some of the most serious trans codes, but far from all the trans codes. Again, the dealer has the tool, perhaps a few big independent shops have the tool to read the other codes.

Mongo knows whats up. :woot:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know these threads go waaaay back. This weekend, I found a solution to the Limp Mode problem. I have a 2008 Commander with the NAG1 transmission. It has been in Limp Mode for over a week. Now it isn't.

A couple things first.

Right off the bat, the internet and the autoparts places are an abundance of misinformation. For one thing, this is a solution for the NAG1 transmission. Every other thread I read talked about replacing the speed sensors and how easy peasy that would be. Not so with the NAG1. In this particular transmission, the speed sensors are internal. According to the transmission shop guy, they are pretty hardy and hardly ever go out. You can easily get 300k out of them, says he. The wiring harness is usually the culprit, which is also up and inside a seriously over-engineered piece of machinery.

The NAG1 transmission is excellent. Mercedes makes them. The transmission guy says they are quality.

So why limp mode?

Simple. All the wiring that goes into the transmission is routed there via a cannon plug. Inside, the conduits are exposed. Water can get in and thanks to a lip around the base of the cannon plug, the hole in this $4 piece of plastic isn't in the right position to let water drain out.

What was estimated to be a $800 transmission job was fixed with a $6 can of WD-40 and some silicon goop to keep more water from getting in. Also the hole is now bigger so water can get out. Car shifts and runs great now. The $3500 transmission is little more than a paperweight because someone didn't put the drainage hole in the right place on the cannon plug.

So, all the guys with snorkels on your Commanders, all the people on the East Coast in all that water. That's your problem right there. Squirt some WD-40 into the drainage hole on the cannon plug that goes into your transmission (maybe some conduit cleaner first) and see if that helps before you pay someone to rip your Jeep apart.

Codes pulled: P0717.
Also, check engine light was on.
And limp mode (you cannot miss this).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know these threads go waaaay back. This weekend, I found a solution to the Limp Mode problem. I have a 2008 Commander with the NAG1 transmission. It has been in Limp Mode for over a week. Now it isn't.

A couple things first.

Right off the bat, the internet and the autoparts places are an abundance of misinformation. For one thing, this is a solution for the NAG1 transmission. Every other thread I read talked about replacing the speed sensors and how easy peasy that would be. Not so with the NAG1. In this particular transmission, the speed sensors are internal. According to the transmission shop guy, they are pretty hardy and hardly ever go out. You can easily get 300k out of them, says he. The wiring harness is usually the culprit, which is also up and inside a seriously over-engineered piece of machinery.

The NAG1 transmission is excellent. Mercedes makes them. The transmission guy says they are quality.

So why limp mode?

Simple. All the wiring that goes into the transmission is routed there via a cannon plug. Inside, the conduits are exposed. Water can get in and thanks to a lip around the base of the cannon plug, the hole in this $4 piece of plastic isn't in the right position to let water drain out.

What was estimated to be a $800 transmission job was fixed with a $6 can of WD-40 and some silicon goop to keep more water from getting in. Also the hole is now bigger so water can get out. Car shifts and runs great now. The $3500 transmission is little more than a paperweight because someone didn't put the drainage hole in the right place on the cannon plug.

So, all the guys with snorkels on your Commanders, all the people on the East Coast in all that water. That's your problem right there. Squirt some WD-40 into the drainage hole on the cannon plug that goes into your transmission (maybe some conduit cleaner first) and see if that helps before you pay someone to rip your Jeep apart.

Codes pulled: P0717.
Also, check engine light was on.
And limp mode (you cannot miss this).
Where is this plug located. Im
Having same issue and have replaced everything but that as I didn’t know about it. It drives 35-40ish tho

·
Registered
2008 3.7 v6 145,000 miles
25 Posts
Where is this plug located. Im
Having same issue and have replaced everything but that as I didn’t know about it. It drives 35-40ish tho
Ever find out where the plug hole is?
Mine is doing same thing last night. But no codes.

·
Administrator
7,103 Posts
@KalebG @Don p

It's not a plug-hole per say, he was talking about where the cannon plug for the transmission wiring harness plugs into the transmission;

This is what the plug itself should look like - or at least similar to it;

You should be able to simply follow the wiring harness down to where it plugs into the transmission itself and that's where the cannon plug - and the area in question, would be located.

This video might help you;

How to unplug a jeep transmission main wire harness - YouTube

Also, some good information in here for those of you with the W5A580 NAG-1 transmission;

·
Registered
2008 3.7 v6 145,000 miles
25 Posts
@KalebG @Don p

It's not a plug-hole per say, he was talking about where the cannon plug for the transmission wiring harness plugs into the transmission;

This is what the plug itself should look like - or at least similar to it;

You should be able to simply follow the wiring harness down to where it plugs into the transmission itself and that's where the cannon plug - and the area in question, would be located.

This video might help you;

How to unplug a jeep transmission main wire harness - YouTube
So if I pop the plug, I should spray electronic cleaner or wd40 into the hole and on the plug?
Thanks for the video

Also, some good information in here for those of you with the W5A580 NAG-1 transmission;

1 - 10 of 10 Posts