Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! New to the forums but not to Jeeps!

I have been searching all over the web, talking to dealerships and local shade treeirs. I have some questions that I think I have the answers to BUT....

#1= The motor runs rough and misses. The codes are P0032 and P1128. So with research I have found the it is the O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1. I have bough all new O2 sensors and plan on replacement today, if the weather holds. In my past experience with Jeep the O2 sensor will cause all kinds of issues, to include the rough and miss running. THE question is... Would it also limit the RPMs to 4k (or less)?

#2= The motor has an small oil leak on the drivers side at the base of the oil fill neck. I have not taken anything apart yet to see if it is cracked or just a seal. Is this a common leak? No mention of it on the engine posts.

#3= The Nav screen does not work. I have found all kinds of suggestions for "quick fix" none of it works. Can I just replace it with a new one from Crutchfield of BestBuy ETC? What will be the issues that I have with doing a replacement?

#4= This Jeep has the DVD/Screen in the back. Can this be removed? My kids are not little and they have ZERO interest in using this thing. What parts would I need to cover up the holes? I cant seem to find that anywhere.

Last question whats a good "Book" for diagrams and pictures of breakdowns of parts and stuff for this Jeep? I have had Chiltons manuals since I was able to hold a wrench but they seem to have fallen off in popularity for YouTube and the Web.

Thank all that read. And Double thank you for anyone responding! :D

Patrick

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there.
#1. It sound like you might be in limp mode because of the bad sensor(s). I would replace all the O2 sensors at the same time. Hopefully that will make the engine happy.
#3 The radio screen can easily be replaced if you can find the part. There are also companies who repair your existing radio for about $200. Google Infotainment. You can put an aftermarket double din radio in as a replacement. Crutchfield is a good company that can help you with information on any cables you need to do the swap.
#4 There will be a big square hole on the headliner when you remove the VES. It may also hurt your resale price if you ever sell your Commander since it was a upgrade option. I would just fold it up and forget it.
John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also, you can get service manuals on disc on eBay. I don’t know how good they are but they are described as factory service manuals.
John

·
Registered
179 Posts
ive looked everywhere for a chiltons/haynes, and they do not exist for the commander. I bought the Ebay pdf version of the factory service manual, but at 5700+pages, its not the most intuitive thing to use for repairs. However, once you find what you need the info is Plentiful!
The other option is buy the chiltons for a grand cherokee, they are very similar mechanically, and would likely get you through most repairs.
I agree with John. would not remove the DVD player, its not even in the way. If you get one of those little ataris or NES, they can be gaming back there too using the RCA Inputs!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

My O2 sensors are driving me batty. Im a BIG guy (6'5" 325lbs) I CAN NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME get my fat ass arm in to unplug the sensors. I got the drivers side with little issues. The passenger side ones are killing me. I guess I will have to get creative ;) Once they are changed do I need to "reset" the system to get it out of limp mode? or will it just fix itself? My WJ 4.7 did this to me once and after turning it off and back on it seemed to fix that.

After talking to my wife we are going to just leave the DVD player in place. I may try to find a local aftermarket shop that may do a custom install of something but that's kinda expensive and not really a bit deal right now.

I think I will order the PDF Factory Service manual. I LOVE having plenty of info.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
17 Posts
It should reset its self on start up after you install the new sensors. You might unhook the negative battery cable for a bit to reset the computer. After you complete a “driving cycle” and it doesn’t go back into limp mode you should be good. A driving cycle usually takes a day or two of normal driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if anyone is following this..... I changed the spark plugs. They where black that base and the tip was browns and chalky looking. Nothing bad but looks like they where the original plugs. With only 122k on it and the last owner being a young lady that was GIVEN the Jeep, I would say they where original.

Next. I still CAN NOT get the O2 sensors on the pass side. The Upstream on the pass side and both downstream. Do I have to drop the Y pipe to get these?
ALSO: The code keeps coming back as P0032 (Only code I have now) That is listed as Bank 1 Sensor 1.... I changed the driver side upstream. I was able to get to that one. Is the driver side Bank 1? or is the pass side Bank 1?

The motor will not go over 4k. Ive reset the codes, I disconnected the battery for 30 mins. I started it back up. Engine light came on RIGHT away with code P0032 and it wont rev past 4k. The limiter starts to kick in at 3500 and it wont go over 4k. Is this normal for a having a code? or is this the normal limiter for the motor?

Thanks again

Patrick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I knew the "book" was wrong lol. I guess I am dropping the Y pipe sometime this week when I get my buddy to come over and give me a hand. We drove it tonight with out any issues. It even got 14mpg in the mountains. Figured out the 4k rev issues. The MDS system kicks in if your sitting still. Who knew? Well the internet of course. So when it is running on the MDS system it limits the free rev to 4k. Well that is what the post i found buried said.

Thanks again. And Ill let you know what I end up doing to get the sensors

·
Registered
3 Posts
@cjxjman

I have a factory dvd/GPS unit I pulled out of my 2007 a few weeks ago. Works perfectly, just upgraded to an aftermarket. You can have it if you want to pay shipping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Wallygator801 Thanks. She has her heart set on a "New" fancy unit.

Update on the issues. I got the two upstream O2 sensors changed. Still have the P0032 Code. Now I have four other codes to go with them. P0300 P1128 P2110 one other that I cant seem to find where I wrote it down. Ill have to pull them again.

It now idles like S#$T. Hesitates on acceleration. But once above 1000 to 1200 rpm it runs better. Only stumbles once in awhile. But stopping and at idle it wants to cut off. Oh and I cut off at 65 on me. My daughter was with me and she was like what happen all worried. Told her it stalled out. She now doesn't have as much interest in driving it lol.

I like the Jeep but man the people who had this thing before me didn't care for it. I'm finding little things all over it that show they just didn't care. I did call the dealer and found that all the recalls that are for this Jeep have been done so.

·
Registered
391 Posts
See here to download pdf service manual

·
Administrator
6,657 Posts
@Wallygator801 Thanks. She has her heart set on a "New" fancy unit.

Update on the issues. I got the two upstream O2 sensors changed. Still have the P0032 Code. Now I have four other codes to go with them. P0300 P1128 P2110 one other that I cant seem to find where I wrote it down. Ill have to pull them again.

It now idles like S#$T. Hesitates on acceleration. But once above 1000 to 1200 rpm it runs better. Only stumbles once in awhile. But stopping and at idle it wants to cut off. Oh and I cut off at 65 on me. My daughter was with me and she was like what happen all worried. Told her it stalled out. She now doesn't have as much interest in driving it lol.

I like the Jeep but man the people who had this thing before me didn't care for it. I'm finding little things all over it that show they just didn't care. I did call the dealer and found that all the recalls that are for this Jeep have been done so.
@cjxjman And this is the problem of being the 3rd or 4th owner of a 12-14 yr old SUV. If you find one that is cherry and was well taken care of, you'd probably be in good shape.

Unfortunately, sometimes I think just having the "Jeep" emblem on the hood, inspires people to abuse them and not take care of them properly - particularly younger owners - either out of ignorance, or just not caring.

I hope you're able to see it through and get all of the bugs worked out. I'd be interested in hearing about your progress. But it's tough when the previous 2, 3 or 4 owners have neglected a vehicle for so long.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you! One more step closer to fixing it!

See here to download pdf service manual

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another Heep update..... So now I am having random stalls, sometime even when its just started. It still runs rough ounce it warms up. Also the Trans Over Temp keeps coming up. I drove it for like 30 mins. It sat for an hour got in and it wouldnt start. Showed trans over temp and now Im getting Transmission codes P0846, P0871, P0988, P0876, P0882, and a pending U0002. All seem to be connected to the TCM/TCU/PCM. It finally started but now I'm afraid to take it anywhere. (AND ITS THE FIRST WEEKEND IN MONTHS NO KIDS!!!)

The P0032 Code is not showing anymore. Im sooooooo over chasing electrical.

What is the possibility that the trans filter/seal was done wrong? It shows signs of leaking and that it has been replaced.

What else should I be looking at?

Thanks for ANY advise

Patrick

·
Administrator
6,657 Posts
Another Heep update..... So now I am having random stalls, sometime even when its just started. It still runs rough ounce it warms up. Also the Trans Over Temp keeps coming up. I drove it for like 30 mins. It sat for an hour got in and it wouldnt start. Showed trans over temp and now Im getting Transmission codes P0846, P0871, P0988, P0876, P0882, and a pending U0002. All seem to be connected to the TCM/TCU/PCM. It finally started but now I'm afraid to take it anywhere. (AND ITS THE FIRST WEEKEND IN MONTHS NO KIDS!!!)

The P0032 Code is not showing anymore. Im sooooooo over chasing electrical.

What is the possibility that the trans filter/seal was done wrong? It shows signs of leaking and that it has been replaced.

What else should I be looking at?

Thanks for ANY advise

Patrick
Patrick; If it was me, I'd have the transmission fluid & filter changed at a reputable Chrysler/Jeep dealership and see where you are when the dust settles.

This might help you;

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yeah drop the pan and change the filter making sure that pesky seal is right.

Theres 2 filters, might as well change them both. Ive used the wix filter kit from rockauto, pan gasket and all.

Fyi dorman makes a pan w/ drain plug if you want to swap it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. I am going to look into the Dorman pan for it. Any brand filter to avoid with these?

I now found a water leak. Its on the Top of the water pump. Leaks out of the seal when I squeeze the upper hose. So now that needs replaced.

AND my WJ decided that it wanted attention too. SOOOO it needed a new battery. 8 year old battery in a Jeep that I only drive once every two weeks? Not bad. lol

I did find that the braided copper ground straps on the XK for the motor FELL apart when I moved them. The one at the firewall literally fell apart as I pushed it back to move it out of the way to follow the wire harness. So now I'm adding in 4ga grounds to the motor and the transmission now.

Can I ground the ECU/TCM/PCU (Computer) to the firewall where it is? or does it HAVE to be to the motor?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE: Got a new PCM/ECU/TCM and everything seems to have resolved. The only issue I still have is the P0032 code comes back up. And it is immediate. Not after a few mins or what not. As soon as the code is cleared the light comes back on. I believe the wire is broken or maybe a back heater circuit.

The next thing I have an issue with is that when I am sitting still at idle I can not turn the wheels. There its like the power steering is turned off. Step on the gas and you can turn the wheel as long as you rev up the motor past 1k rpms.

Also the trans has stared to shift hard when under a load (Heavy pedal use to accelerate) If you take it easy or just normal it shifts fine. Any ideas for me to look at? I have the Trans filters and fluid to change tomorrow and the oil also. HOPING that will fix it.

Thanks again in advance for any ideas or help!

Patrick

ps Wife agreed to let me put a 2" spacer lift on it and more aggressive tires. She says that its a family car not an off roader. So I guess I will have to look at my WJ for off road 4" Lift Bigger tires... New axles .... lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts