Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2006 Jeep Commander with the 5.7L Hemi. It's the limited model with Quadra Drive II system. I have never owned a Jeep before or an AWD vehicle. When I drive and get up to 25mph, at 25 a front vibration occurs. It feels like it's maybe in 4WD mode? My tires don't look great so that could maybe be it or it could be a driveshaft issue or wheel bearing or transfer case or something else. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe it's just normal for this vehicle?

When this noise kicks in at 25mph, it still vibrates as I'm accelerating. But whenever I take my foot off the gas, the sound and vibration immediately go away.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Can you go faster than 25? if it is in 4 wheel drive low you will only go about 30 MPH wide open. The Commander is full time 4 wheel drive all the time, just not 4WD-lo. Does sound like something in the drive line needs to be checked, like u-joints, drive shafts (3)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Stock tire size, your wheels will turn about 5 times a second at 25 mph. If the vibration is a very low frequency then its likely between the differentials and the road, front CVs, wheel hubs. Everything between the differentials and the transmission it turning about 4 times faster (3.73 to be exact) so around 20 rev per second for drive shafts and transfercase. A bad ujoint will often click or vibrate 2 times per rev. Have you tried putting it in first gear and going 25 mph to see if the vibration still happens?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I just bought a 2006 Jeep Commander with the 5.7L Hemi. It's the limited model with Quadra Drive II system. I have never owned a Jeep before or an AWD vehicle. When I drive and get up to 25mph, at 25 a front vibration occurs. It feels like it's maybe in 4WD mode? My tires don't look great so that could maybe be it or it could be a driveshaft issue or wheel bearing or transfer case or something else. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe it's just normal for this vehicle?

When this noise kicks in at 25mph, it still vibrates as I'm accelerating. But whenever I take my foot off the gas, the sound and vibration immediately go away.
4x4 Jeep Commanders are in 4-HI all the time, you're never in 2WD no matter what speed you're driving at.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it vibrates at 25mph and higher while not in 4WD LOW. Maybe it's an AWD thing or maybe it's a simple as needing new tires because they don't look the best. But the sound always starts at exactly 25mph and when I let off the accelerator at any time, the vibration goes away which leads me to believe it is not tires.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It looks as if you are tipping 190K miles. Without more descriptive information, there are lots of possible problems. Vibration is not a normal thing in any well running car, even in an AWD. Likely worn parts that might need replaced are front axles(CV do go bad or the rubber boots rip), Rear drive shaft (non-greaseable and non repairable u joints), Front driveshaft (I think your year had a CV at the transfer case side and a u joint on the differential side so both previous possible problems), If your tires are different sizes front to back (even just worn down differently) the Limited slip differentials and limited slip transfer case are fighting each other which can change between load and coast, Bad wheel speed sensors can cause the ABS to activate which people have described as vibration. Those are the easy to replace parts that I can think of that will exhibit differently between load and coast. There are many other possibility, without being there to stick my head out your car window, I would start with these.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it vibrates at 25mph and higher while not in 4WD LOW. Maybe it's an AWD thing or maybe it's a simple as needing new tires because they don't look the best. But the sound always starts at exactly 25mph and when I let off the accelerator at any time, the vibration goes away which leads me to believe it is not tires.
It looks as if you are tipping 190K miles. Without more descriptive information, there are lots of possible problems. Vibration is not a normal thing in any well running car, even in an AWD. Likely worn parts that might need replaced are front axles(CV do go bad or the rubber boots rip), Rear drive shaft (non-greaseable and non repairable u joints), Front driveshaft (I think your year had a CV at the transfer case side and a u joint on the differential side so both previous possible problems), If your tires are different sizes front to back (even just worn down differently) the Limited slip differentials and limited slip transfer case are fighting each other which can change between load and coast, Bad wheel speed sensors can cause the ABS to activate which people have described as vibration. Those are the easy to replace parts that I can think of that will exhibit differently between load and coast. There are many other possibility, without being there to stick my head out your car window, I would start with these.
Thank you for the reply. When changing the oil I looked underneath and the transfer case or whatever the big rod going from the back of the Jeep to the front, looks like it has been replaced because it's a much newer color with a sticker on it. Other than that I'm not a mechanic. This vibration is minor IMO. It's not really noisy and I don't think you could hear it outside of the window. The best way to describe it is that is feels like my old Nissan Xterra when I enabled 4WD on dry pavement which was a no no for that vehicle. I had an older Blazer that also acted funny if put in 4WD on dry pavement. My mechanic is moving shops and won't be available until December 31st. Bad it's not my primary vehicle and I have other things I can fix on it while waiting to diagnose the vibration.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the very same issue last spring and after a long series of replacing things in a panic it was drive shafts. Even if they look good/new check them!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
@tedh1979; Just out of curiosity, when is the last time you had a proper alignment & wheel balance done??

·
Registered
5 Posts

~Slide under the Commander and twist-wiggle-push-pull and slide the front constant velocity joint on the front of the driveshaft going to the front axle. I'll bet that has some movement in it. And I'll bet the rubber boot is torn. Very Typical.

~We are not talking about the half shafts driving the wheels, but those could be worn out too. Check them for worn CV joints ... just the front CV joint.

I was quoted $170 at the parts houses ... don't pay that~!~! Look at AM- Autoparts.com ... $30.99 for a Dorman replacement made in China but they work and hold up as the original part does. ... AM part number is --> AM-30303764 <-- YouTube videos show the Remove and Replace how to's.

One side only of the transmission/transfer case SUPPORT BEAM [16 mm nuts/bolts] must be loosened enough and just the beam, not the trans/case which remains supported with a jack is allowed to drop down on ONE SIDE ONLY.
You do this to get the diameter of the driveshaft past the lowered beam. You'll have to loosen the nuts and bolts on the side that stay 'up' on the frame but we are not about talking too much trouble. Hit these fasteners with penetrating oil and come back the next day and start cranking ... Get all 4 wheels up on tall jack stands [remember you are picking up 5,000 lbs] and start cranking ... should take about 2 hours in the driveway on your back if all the tools are correct. Look at the replacement part online and figure out what you need. -->
<-- [Personally I don't like the 5.7 Hemi. Too hard to change all the 'twirly stuff, I do like my 4.7]

·
Registered
5 Posts
~Slide under the Commander and twist-wiggle-push-pull and slide the front constant velocity joint on the front of the driveshaft going to the front axle. I'll bet that has some movement in it. And I'll bet the rubber boot is torn. Very Typical.

~We are not talking about the half shafts driving the wheels, but those could be worn out too. Check them for worn CV joints ... just the front CV joint.

I was quoted $170 at the parts houses ... don't pay that~!~! Look at AM- Autoparts.com ... $30.99 for a Dorman replacement made in China but they work and hold up as the original part does. ... AM part number is --> AM-30303764 <-- YouTube videos show the Remove and Replace how to's.

One side only of the transmission/transfer case SUPPORT BEAM [16 mm nuts/bolts] must be loosened enough and just the beam, not the trans/case which remains supported with a jack is allowed to drop down on ONE SIDE ONLY.
You do this to get the diameter of the driveshaft past the lowered beam. You'll have to loosen the nuts and bolts on the side that stay 'up' on the frame but we are not about talking too much trouble. Hit these fasteners with penetrating oil and come back the next day and start cranking ... Get all 4 wheels up on tall jack stands [remember you are picking up 5,000 lbs] and start cranking ... should take about 2 hours in the driveway on your back if all the tools are correct. Look at the replacement part online and figure out what you need. -->
<-- [Personally I don't like the 5.7 Hemi. Too hard to change all the 'twirly stuff, I do like my 4.7]
And here is some general Jeep info http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#FAXLE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts