Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 06 Commander Its the tanish gold color like on the webpage header....Killer deal and of course it needs tires ASAP so i figured might as well take some more money and blow it on nice wheels and tires

Now, see i don't know what kinda look i should do yet either just big ass rims with low profiles, or get some nice size rims with medium low rugged looking tires

Issue is i want a good deal on stuff I'm trying to keep it under 1200 for all this

Let me know if anyone got ideas or recommendations

·
2,248 Posts
Again there is a huge amount of information available to you by using the search function. Check your other thread for how to search.

Tire selection has a great deal to do with how you intend to use your Commander. Offroad use would support larger tires with lots of sidewall for flex, cushion, and grip when aired down for maximum traction and comfort. The narrow sidewall like you see with ultra low profile tires is best left for on the street, and even then it is much easier for a pothole to ruin a wheel because of the lack of rubber cushion between the road and your wheel. There are many consideration that go into selecting the tires that are best for you. Spend the time doing research using the search capabilities of the Forum.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'll agree that DUB wheels look out of place on the Commander, but I'll plug my +30 Hankooks on stock rims with wheel spacers. Same footprint/outside diameter as 20-22" rims with low profile tires, but with the utility/comfort of some nice sidewall. Tread pattern has a nice aggressive (street) look, but deep sipes are M+S rated and have been great in all sorts of weather. $500/4, shipped.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I paid over $600 on off the rack all terrain tires.

For $1200 remember, good tire and wheel combos are not cheap. Cheap tire and wheel combos are not good.

Same advice I got when getting a tattoo. :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
"Big Rims Look Horrible" I find that offensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im looking for nice rims maybe not 22's but like 20 with an all terrain tires .. but idk where or which would be good.. but im also considering just getting some 30s on stock wheels and maybe getting the skyjacker lift or exhaust and intake system to up the mpg, any input?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I love my 22's

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would rate priorities as follows:

Lift
Tires (on stock wheels)
Intake
Exhaust

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sorry, MPG's were so low on my list they fell down here. :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Tire/ wheel combos are endless. It comes down to what YOU like, not everyone else. Most of us here like the Jeep because it's a Jeep, not a sport truck or sports car. We like the off-road capabilities. But who cares what we like, its your vehicle. If you want 22s, get 22s. My issue with the big rims is having the short sidewalls on the low profile tires that you will have to run. They dont ride nearly as nice and they are very expensive. A pothole or curb will destroy the wheel in a heartbeat. Remember that the Commander is a lot heavier than a little import sports car and wont like the low-pro tires much. Think about what you intend to use the Jeep for. I think this will have the most impact on what wheel/tire combo is best for you. Good luck with which ever way you decide to go.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I cant choose tires or wheels for you but I recommend any of the 17" KMC XD series in their special/limited edition bronze color. I think that would look amazing on that color vehicle. Maybe even an 18 but no bigger. Then an all-terrain tire.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well put Smitty. I do only sand off roading in my Jeep. But to do that I take off the 22's and put on my stock rims with Toyo At's.

But as far as ride quality, I disagree with you. I have a set of Boss 329's and the tires are Hankook Ventus St Rh06, 265/35ZR22 102W. I love them. They have a very very aggressive tread. I will agree that a curb and a pothole will do some damage, I understand that. But they ride very smooth. I would put money on they ride as good if not better than my Toyos. On a side note, last night, at a party, many people parked in the grass. Through the night and some rain, 3 people got stuck, one being a 4x2 chevy. I popped my Jeep in 4 low and got everyone out no problem. Little mad about getting new 22's muddy but w/e. Performed like a champ.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ripthesix, I want to see pixs of your 22" setup. Those are the same tires I have, but it would be cool to see them in the low-pro size. Will agree that they are an awesome tire, though!

·
Registered
423 Posts
^ I agree with you completely. Anything over 18's is a bit ridiculous unless you're wrapping them in some big tires. If that's the case you'll need a lift, spacers, etc...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts