Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find what I've been told is called the Junction Box. It's the fuse box under the dash at the drivers left leg. Based on bizarre electrical issues I'm having, a mechanic here has advised me that's the part I need but it's been discontinued from Jeep.

Anyone have a line on one?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been calling, no one has a Commander. I've been told it's the same part from that year's Grand Cherokee, but haven't had luck yet either.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You've helped me before but I'm confused. Is the part you are showing in your pic behind the fuse box that I can see? The attached pic is the part I'm talking about and the one where when I tap on it, the Jeep seems to come back to life.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
You've helped me before but I'm confused. Is the part you are showing in your pic behind the fuse box that I can see? The attached pic is the part I'm talking about and the one where when I tap on it, the Jeep seems to come back to life.
There's quite a bit of rust on that, looks like it has gotten pretty wet at some point in time.

It's not surprising after looking at it, that it's giving you problems.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
The fuses are on the Junction block. The junction block is a circuit board about 10" by 16" and had 2 large plugs of wires on the side visible as installed, there is also a another plug of wires on the back side. On my link "Junction Block Explained" - click on the removal link at the very bottom of that post for better explanation and pictures.
Here is that removal document

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rblapham - I've read over the materials you sent, and what I don't get is that I don't see an actual fuse panel in any of the diagrams like the pic I sent. I have a little drop door that opens to expose the fuses, is that fuse panel just lower and further under than the Steering Column Opening Cover, and that's why it's not shown in the instructions?

As for step 1, isolating the negative, can I just take off the negative at the battery or does it have to happen in the steering column as indicated?

And lastly, tapping on this fuse panel is what brings the Jeep back to life, so am I hoping that somehow it IS actually the junction box, and just my general banging around under the dash is vibrating something that causes a failed connection to make contact again?

Again, thank you for your responses, I'm doing my best to understand so I can either make the attempt myself or at least tell a shop exactly what I need them to do.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
rblapham - I've read over the materials you sent, and what I don't get is that I don't see an actual fuse panel in any of the diagrams like the pic I sent. I have a little drop door that opens to expose the fuses, is that fuse panel just lower and further under than the Steering Column Opening Cover, and that's why it's not shown in the instructions?

As for step 1, isolating the negative, can I just take off the negative at the battery or does it have to happen in the steering column as indicated?

And lastly, tapping on this fuse panel is what brings the Jeep back to life, so am I hoping that somehow it IS actually the junction box, and just my general banging around under the dash is vibrating something that causes a failed connection to make contact again?

Again, thank you for your responses, I'm doing my best to understand so I can either make the attempt myself or at least tell a shop exactly what I need them to do.
Yes the fuses are mounted to the lower part of the Junction BLOCK (a circuit board with fuses, relays. plugs etc) Here is a diagram of the Junction Block from the side by the firewall - page 1 - fuse panel is on the other side - page 2.

Yes just remove the ground at the battery

Since you can just tap the Junction Block you might try removing the plugs to it and see what look like and re-plug them in, they might have a bad connection. Spray contact cleaner might help also.

Did you push open the cover under the steering wheel? It snaps in pretty tight, but just push down on that tab looking extension right under the steering wheel. Attaching a Video on opening it after I load to Utube.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Opening the cover over the Junction Block

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Video is "Private", @rblapham. We can't watch it.
I hate you tube! But I did a Publish on it, could not find any private settings. OK now??
5253 - when you going to allow uploading Video's ??

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I was able to view it on the original post and on 5253's post on the u tube link.
That's because he changed the settings.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I hate you tube! But I did a Publish on it, could not find any private settings. OK now??
Yes, I can see it now. Thanks. I think you can attach videos. I don't believe the forum software allows uploading. It would be up to the administrators to make that change.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I'm fairly certain that video uploading isn't enabled here - that's a feature that's would have to be enabled by the administrators - the moderators have no control over forum options of that nature.

You can post Youtube links and there is a setting where you can keep your video private and only people that you send the link to can view it.

That's what I did with the last video I posted here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts