Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. New to this forum and a first ever jeep owner. So we have a 2006 commander limited that we have been working on to get up to par or better and the factory nav is just a white screen noise. Wanting to replace it and looking at a Kenwood ddx9903 but was wondering if this can be synced up with the rear dvd player that is in the vehicle? Thanks for any help and suggestions. Not set on the radio yet but it does have apple car play and about a $450 price point. OK and one other issue. Have charged the ac system and it seems to blow cool near cold but we noticed when you hit the button to go from outside air to inside air there is no difference. Again any help would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
Hello everyone. New to this forum and a first ever jeep owner. So we have a 2006 commander limited that we have been working on to get up to par or better and the factory nav is just a white screen noise. Wanting to replace it and looking at a Kenwood ddx9903 but was wondering if this can be synced up with the rear dvd player that is in the vehicle? Thanks for any help and suggestions. Not set on the radio yet but it does have apple car play and about a $450 price point. OK and one other issue. Have charged the ac system and it seems to blow cool near cold but we noticed when you hit the button to go from outside air to inside air there is no difference. Again any help would be much appreciated.
jromo;

Welcome to the forum;

Here is another option for you if you want to replace your stock head unit;

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/10-electronics-nav-discussion/60954-bluetooth-mp3-upgrade-2006-a.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for that. Now to process all that and see which way we wanted to go. !250 is a lot to get the factory look with all the extra features. I'm pretty savy on installing this stuff but am really wanting a system like our QX60 where the front screen will play the same as the back screen and having a hard time finding info on doing that.

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
Thank you very much for that. Now to process all that and see which way we wanted to go. !250 is a lot to get the factory look with all the extra features. I'm pretty savy on installing this stuff but am really wanting a system like our QX60 where the front screen will play the same as the back screen and having a hard time finding info on doing that.
Have you looked through this sub-forum?

Electronics / NAV Discussion - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

You are restricted to posting in the new member section until you reach a certain post count - you still have a few posts to go before that happens - but I think the link will still work for you, you just can't post there yet.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Kenwood DDX9903s

So I bit the bullet and replaced the factory nav with a kenwood ddx9903s that has apple car play and viper remote start security system 5706v. Spent 1100 for everything installed and it looks and performs awesome. Had to get a radiopro4 rp4-ch11 to use the factory amp and steering wheel controls and the system sounds awesome. It sounds so much better than the stock system and nothing but the radio was added. My wife who has a 2017 infinity qx60 fully loaded said she wanted the radio in hers when she saw all the features the radio has. She wants to take the jeep every where now. It was definitely worth the upgrade. Oh and that price also included a back up camera installed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So I bit the bullet and replaced the factory nav with a kenwood ddx9903s that has apple car play and viper remote start security system 5706v. Spent 1100 for everything installed and it looks and performs awesome. Had to get a radiopro4 rp4-ch11 to use the factory amp and steering wheel controls and the system sounds awesome. It sounds so much better than the stock system and nothing but the radio was added. My wife who has a 2017 infinity qx60 fully loaded said she wanted the radio in hers when she saw all the features the radio has. She wants to take the jeep every where now. It was definitely worth the upgrade. Oh and that price also included a back up camera installed.
Nice sounds like a great choice. Welcome aboard.

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
How about a link to the radio you bought - and some pics??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Apple CarPlay is amazing and with the factory amp the system rock. Still have steering wheel controls and now I can answer and make calls from the radio. Can even send messages and when a text comes in Siri will read it to you. My wife loves riding in this and she has the infinity. The guy said for 50 dollars he could incorporate the rear DVD with this unit but figured I would leave that alone. Got the Kenwood DDX9903s and the Viper 5706v alarm and remote start.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
The Apple CarPlay is amazing and with the factory amp the system rock. Still have steering wheel controls and now I can answer and make calls from the radio. Can even send messages and when a text comes in Siri will read it to you. My wife loves riding in this and she has the infinity. The guy said for 50 dollars he could incorporate the rear DVD with this unit but figured I would leave that alone. Got the Kenwood DDX9903s and the Viper 5706v alarm and remote start.
Very nice jrromo;

So that is actually a Kenwood DDX9903?

Is that the model number of the head unit?

What did you pay for the Kenwood head unit if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it is a Kenwood DDX9903s head unit.I got the unit and remote start all for 1100. Went to the shop for a viper remote start for 400 and was looking around and saw the radio. Got to talking to the guy and they did the radio with the back up camera and installed the 2 usb units from the back of the radio in the right side of the dash for 700. Have found the head units for about 450-500. Now I also had the metra 996510 dash kit and the rp4-ch11 install kit to keep the factory amp and steering wheel controls. The dash kit it about 10-15 dollars and the kit is about 65-120 dollars. Oh and I did cash. He wanted 1250 but cash is king.

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
Yes it is a Kenwood DDX9903s head unit.I got the unit and remote start all for 1100. Went to the shop for a viper remote start for 400 and was looking around and saw the radio. Got to talking to the guy and they did the radio with the back up camera and installed the 2 usb units from the back of the radio in the right side of the dash for 700. Have found the head units for about 450-500. Now I also had the metra 996510 dash kit and the rp4-ch11 install kit to keep the factory amp and steering wheel controls. The dash kit it about 10-15 dollars and the kit is about 65-120 dollars. Oh and I did cash. He wanted 1250 but cash is king.
I'm going to look into getting that Kenwood DDX9903s head unit in a couple of months when I go home;

You also referred to a radiopro4 rp4-ch11 to hook up the factory amp?

I'm guessing that's some kind of adapter?

I've had pretty good experiences with Kenwood in the past and I'm ready to ditch this factory head unit as this is my second re-conditioned MyGIG unit and they just don't last.

Being down in Florida, it's been my experience that the factory MyGIG head units don't stand up to the heat very well.

I'd rather replace it with something new and reliable before it starts giving me problems - which is only a matter of time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The radiopro4 rp4-ch11 is the adapter to connect to factory amp and the steering wheel controls. The system sounds amazing now. Now also realize to get the apple carplay function of the radio you have to have usb adapters coming from the back of the radio. I had the installers put mine on the bottom of the dash on the passengers side. If you look in the previous pictures you can see them in the bottom right corner of the picture.

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
The radiopro4 rp4-ch11 is the adapter to connect to factory amp and the steering wheel controls. The system sounds amazing now. Now also realize to get the apple carplay function of the radio you have to have usb adapters coming from the back of the radio. I had the installers put mine on the bottom of the dash on the passengers side. If you look in the previous pictures you can see them in the bottom right corner of the picture.
I have a Sport - not a Limited, which means I don't have the steering wheel controls;

So I'm assuming I don't need the radiopro4 rp4-ch11 adapter, if that's its sole purpose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
don't quote me lol but I think it also integrates the factory amp that is in the vehicle. I went by car toys and had them tell me what I needed then went and bought the stuff myself. Saved a lot of money that way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
for an additional 50 dollars the guy could of integrated the rear dvd into the system but I left it alone. can add it later if we want.

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
don't quote me lol but I think it also integrates the factory amp that is in the vehicle. I went by car toys and had them tell me what I needed then went and bought the stuff myself. Saved a lot of money that way.
So the radiopro4 rp4-ch11 is the adapter to hook up the factory amp to the Kenwood DDX9903s head unit.

That makes sense to me.

So, I'll definitely need those 2 components.

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
for an additional 50 dollars the guy could of integrated the rear dvd into the system but I left it alone. can add it later if we want.
Hey jrromo;

One other thing, do you have a back-up camera?

Any issues integrating the back up camera with this Kenwood DDX9903s head unit?

I'm also reading alot of mixed reviews on this unit - some are not very flattering and there are more negative reviews than positive ones - and they also point out that this unit has already been discontinued;

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DDX9903S-eXcelon-Double-DIN-CarPlay/product-reviews/B01D3SH5H6/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent#RXPWZQ0WDZYXH

After reading all the reviews, I will probably just hold off on this for now and do some more research.

I don't want to jump into this - and then wind up regretting it after the fact, because I didn't do my homework.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do have a back up camera but don't know which one the shop installed. I do know it mounted on top of the plate and I'm not liking that design as when I washed it the other day I moved the camera. My wife did say the camera is better looking than the one that is on her 2017 infinity qx60. So far the system is great. As far as screen glare you really don't get much sunlight that comes into the commander as the way all the windows sit. It does sound awesome when you crank it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts