Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just told that I need to replace the front drive shaft on my 06 4.7 QDII that was replaced in Nov. 2012. Is there a better place to buy one than from the dealer or at least a dealer who does not want to rip you off?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes there is a better option than the dealer - contact Carolina Driveline. Just Google the name. They can help you with a replacement driveshaft with replaceable joints.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I would ask why your Commander is eating up front driveshafts? It may just be a coincidence that the last one had some sort of defect and that is why it failed so soon, or there might be another problem causing the driveshafts to fail early. Keep in mind, the environment and usage is a big factor as well. You get water or sand in some equipment it will fail.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can replace the rear joint. No need to replace the entire shaft.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Got mine from eBay. It didn't list the commander but it listed it for the grand cherokee

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes there is a better option than the dealer - contact Carolina Driveline. Just Google the name. They can help you with a replacement driveshaft with replaceable joints.
Turns out that my front shaft was a secondary problem, They rebuilt my front differential and most of the noise went way. After doing this the dealer told me that my front shaft was in trouble but not critical at that point.

Well I just returned from a week on the sand on the OBX and now I have grinding and vibration which I am sure is from the front shaft.

Now to my question. When I contacted Carolina Driveline they tell me I need to remove the shaft to measure it. Can someone tell me why? I know I can't drive the XK once the shaft is removed, and I hate to remove it to measure and then reinstall only to have to remove again when the new shaft arrives.(73 years old) I have no lifts 06 Limited 4.7 V8 QDII transmission does anyone know what length to order for OEM replacement.

·
Registered
120 Posts
bump bump bump
Just measure it in the jeep. It's at its rest state when it's installed. Considering the front diff doesn't move like a solid axle does it will only need a minimum amount of "slip".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts