Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to share some info-on a recent trip to the Jersey shore my 06' Commander decided to eat a water pump stranding my family on the side of the road, not cool (4.7/ 27K) has this been a common reported issue or one off, I owned over a more than my share of vehicles, from daily drivers to all out track vehicles and have lost only one pump other than this one and it was electric, also worth mentioning is the air selector is not working consistently, one of the rear passenger doors is not unlocking properly and no its not the child safety feature, its only on the drivers side, odd? Also the vehicle vibrates upon hard breaking as well as squealing again I had this checked at the dealer and they claimed to have lubed all the brake components and that the pads are fine but my experiance this is telling me warped rotors/bad pads or a combo of both, as I mentioned this vehicle has only 27K and is not a daily driver, it's a mall rat for the kids, weekend away ect... and it seems like it's one thing after another, this is my first Jeep and I have to say the quality seems to be questionable, any info would be helpful. Thank you.

As a side note- Freehold Jeep in Freehold, New Jersey, The service dept. was able to get us repaired the following day which was great as we were stranded, but the service manager was such a huge ass, my only hope is someone treats him and his family as he treated us in a similar situation, I would not recommend buying or servicing from them on this factor alone, as the post above shows your going to need service at some point and dealing with BS attitude is just not worth it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry you are so unhappy with your purchase. We have only had minor problems with our '06, that were promptly repaired...ie. Battery went out, pass. window regulator, and passenger mirror vibrating.

It sounds like you know enough about cars to tell when your rotors are bad...so I would suggest being a jerk to your service dept, and insist they correct the problem under warranty (under the old addage "the squeeky wheel gets the oil").

I hope you get the problem fixed so you can just enjoy driving your Commander...After all, that is why you bought it, right?

Good Luck, and happy Jeeping!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
follow up report....

Well dropped the Jeep off today for all the service issues mentioned above to the list you can add the service lights came on two weeks ago on my way back from Boston and haven't appeared again but I had them check. The rear drivers side passenger door has a bad actuator, not in stock but not a huge deal in tomarrow so a saturday morning in the dealership in a few weeks, the A/C controls apparently had a melted wire harness, nice, the excuse/fix was to add a resistor, now if someone can tell me how thats going to help, please let me know, or it's BS and they just plugged it back in, as of a month ago my pads and rotors were fine according to the dealer but the brake assembly needed to be lubed, fine, as of today I needed 700.00 of new pads and rotors for both the front and rear due to warpage, again this is on a 30k vehicle that has never seen off-road, I was told the service lights I saw were in memory but there were no current codes. Now with all this said I not a Jeep hater but I'm getting close-I could almost tolerate the BS milage to get the all weather capability and room for weekend trips but with all the service issues it's just not dependable and frankly I don't trust it. As a side note today I rented a 07' Dodge Durango with 10K on it, what a POS, now it's a rental but man it rattled, it shook, it needed shocks, com on' it's got 10k on it, proving to me the quality runs the same through the line. It's time to take the financial hit and move on. Good luck everyone. Todd A

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Da wife took a trip to La. in march. On the way back she noticed a whining sound from the engine. when she got home, I noticed pinkish spray throughout the engine compartment and noticed it was coolant. took it to the shop and the water pump was busted, got replaced. This evening I was washing the mud out of the engine compartment and saw that the coolant res. was empty. The radiator cap was dirty and the stuff was pinkish. Bad Rad. cap? at 33,000 miles? Not overheated, temp gague normal. What's your opinion? Will be taking her to the dealer's tomorrow anyways.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
My guess is that the level was low due to the leak and then the resevor emptied bringing they system back up to full. I would fill the resevor and monitor it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
that much drainage? I made sure the mechanics at the dealer's topped off all the fluids before I took my Jeep. 3 weeks ago I noticed a slightly low level of coolant in the res. tonight it is empty. please keep in mind the pinkish junk on the rad cap only. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Broken water pump. That would be pump No. 3 for my Jeep. The service manager says that the pumps carry a 12 monty 12K mile warranty. Don't the local auto parts dealers like Auto Zone carry pumps with a lifetime warranty, and cheaper?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Broken water pump. That would be pump No. 3 for my Jeep. The service manager says that the pumps carry a 12 monty 12K mile warranty. Don't the local auto parts dealers like Auto Zone carry pumps with a lifetime warranty, and cheaper?
Autozone does have parts with lifetime warranties but as for a waterpump for the Commander you will have to check with them. With three broken pumps you may want look for something that could be causing the problem. What kind of coolant are you using ?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It's running with whatever coolant the Jeep/Chrysler dealer uses. I haven't had to change it myself. I agree that there may be something causing the pumps to break, but I don't see or hear anything out of the ordinary. Service manager said it could have just been a defective pump. Dunno.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Not sure, but would a bad A/C compressor/pulley throw the rest of the belt system out of whack? There are tension dampenrs down there, but I have noticed some vibration that goes on when I turn the A/C on, for about 5 seconds at dead stop, and sometimes whenever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts