Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 06' Jeep Commander 4.7 l limited to the dealer the other day after i just purchased this vehicle for the 141,000 mile service and they put the wrong coolant in my jeep. I had tried to drain and flush woth distilled water but i can only get approx 1 gallon out through the peacock on the radiator is there a better way to do this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would take it back and let them correct their mistake. Now, if you want to do it yourself...

Remove the lower coolant hose (2 bolts). This will also allow you to take out the thermostat. Also, remove the coolant bleed screw. It is near the top of the coolant hose where it connects to the timing cover. You will need an Allen wrench to remove it. Be warned, that bleed screw is in there tight. This should allow the engine block to completely evacuate all of the coolant. Now if you have rear air/heat, it may not get all the coolant out of the rear coolant hose that service this area, so I would stick a garden hose in the lower opening of the block where you removed the lower coolant hose and attempt to flush it that way. Good luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
@DanielDD I've tried sticking a hose up there to evacuate my rear (pun definitely intended) and it didn't do... anything.

If he hasn't turned on the rear air, he's likely ok. If he has, well then they need to pull the hose off the thermostat housing (or cut it, I did that) and get 'er flushed good and proper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took my 06' Jeep Commander 4.7 l limited to the dealer the other day after i just purchased this vehicle for the 141,000 mile service and they put the wrong coolant in my jeep. I had tried to drain and flush woth distilled water but i can only get approx 1 gallon out through the peacock on the radiator is there a better way to do this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
1~Try this for more responses.
2~You should remove the bottom radiator hose. It will be messy.
3~Raise the rear end up with a floor jack Let gravity work for you.
When filling back up YOU MUST GET EVERY BIT OF AIR OUT OF THE COOLING SYSTEM.
Start by removing the hex plug neat the top radiator hose. Shut off the rad petcock. Jack the front of the Commander up a little bit. Fill the radiator, fill the overflow catch tank. Of course, you have a tiny little funnel that will screw into the hex plug you took out. Fill everything best you can. Put about an inch of HOAT coolant into the funnel. Start the car. A slight bump in idle speed will suck the coolant out of the funnel. Keep filling at about 1,200 rpm. Hold that rpm after no more coolant can be added and screw in the hex plug. Watch the jar and temp gauge. Let it cool and check the overflow catch tank. Mark the level stone-cold and at temperature with a magic marker. You can't really screw this up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts