Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a 4.7L intake and EGR valve from any 2008+ model Chrysler work or do I need a plenum and EGR valve from a 2008+ Commander only? I have the Throttle Body Adaptor already.

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
354 Posts
Not sure what you are trying to do here, are you trying to get your 07 4.7 to a hi-po spec? if you have an adaptor already, why not leave it with the original intake? i am not aware of any significant intake improvements.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you are trying to do here, are you trying to get your 07 4.7 to a hi-po spec? if you have an adaptor already, why not leave it with the original intake? i am not aware of any significant intake improvements.
The 2008+ 4.7L intake plenums are an updated design and the intake alone adds approx 15HP at the rear wheels from what I understand. The Throttle Body on 4.7's in 2007 and earlier is a throttle cable design. 2008 and later is an electronic throttle body so to use the updated plenum from 2008+ on a 2007 and earlier you need a adaptor to put your cable throttle body on a plenum meant for an electronic throttle body. And you need a 2008 and later EGR valve as well. This is my understanding of the whole issue. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 2008-2011 intake is worth 25-30RWHP on over the 1999-2002 Intake manifold.
The 2008-2011 intake is worth 15-20RWHP over the 2003-2007 Intake manifold.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats the adaptor

·
Administrator
7,992 Posts
Will a 4.7L intake and EGR valve from any 2008+ model Chrysler work or do I need a plenum and EGR valve from a 2008+ Commander only? I have the Throttle Body Adaptor already.
@Klaus Bartelt ;

I had to re-read your post a couple of times, to figure out exactly what you're trying to do, but, I think I have a handle on it now.

You have a 2007 4.7L V-8;

There were 2 major design changes to the 4.7L in 2008;

The re-designed intake was one change (and probably the biggest performance enhancer) & the 2nd change was, adding an extra spark plug per cylinder;

So, instead of the normal 8 Spark plugs that the 2006 & 2007 4.7L's came with, the 2008 & beyond 4.7L's have 16 spark plugs.

If you are trying to complete a full intake upgrade to replicate the power & air flow improvements of a 2008 4.7L V-8, then yes, you should stick with a plenum and EGR valve from a 2008+ Commander only .

I'm sure this will help your performance quite a bit, but, you still only have 8 spark plugs, as opposed to the 16 spark plugs that the 2008 & beyond 4.7L's came with.

How big of a difference does that make in performance?

I honestly don't know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@Klaus Bartelt ;

I had to re-read your post a couple of times, to figure out exactly what you're trying to do, but, tI think I have a handle on it now.

The re-designed intake was one change (and probably the biggest performance enhancer) & the 2nd change was, adding an extra spark plug per cylinder;

So, instead of the normal 8 Spark plugs that the 2006 & 2007 4.7L's came with, the 2008 & beyond 4.7L's have 16 spark plugs.

If you are trying to complete a full intake upgrade to replicate the power & air flow improvements of a 2008 4.7L V-8, then yes, you should stick with a plenum and EGR valve from a 2008+ Commander only .

I'm sure this will help your performance quite a bit, but, you still only have 8 spark plugs, as opposed to the 16 spark plugs that the 2008 & beyond 4.7L's came with.

I honestly don't know.
@Klaus Bartelt ;

I had to re-read your post a couple of times, to figure out exactly what you're trying to do, but, tI think I have a handle on it now.

I honestly don't know.
[/QUOTEWe
@Klaus Bartelt ;

I honestly don't know.
Well I did it, installed a intake from a 2008 Durango with 4.7., EGR from a 2010 RAM with 4.7 and a new EGR tube for a 2008 4.7L intake, and the appropriate throttle body adaptor so I could still use my stock three bolt cable driven TB. Im waiting to have put a full weeks worth of driving on it to see if MPG changes in any way. Normal driving I don't notice much if anything but when throwing the gas pedal down I believe I can tell it has more power than pervious.
Total $ spent
adaptor (new) - $210
intake (used from 2008 Durango) - $110
egr (used from a 2010 Ram 1500) - $40
egr tube (new) - $20
egr gasket (new) - $5

intake gasket set (new) - $20
$405 total give or take a few bucks and almost four hours of my time on a sunday night.
Is it worth it? Probably not. Was a learning experience a bit though, and now my Commander probably has more power than any other 4.7L Commander in town. Small badge of honour. Just one more reason Ill drive this beast till the frame rusts out.

Reactions: patf111

·
Administrator
7,992 Posts
Well I did it, installed a intake from a 2008 Durango with 4.7., EGR and tube for a 2008 4.7L intake, and the appropriate throttle body adaptor so I could still use my stock three bolt cable driven TB. Im waiting to have put a full weeks worth of driving on it to see if MPG changes in any way. Normal driving I don't notice much if anything but when throwing the gas pedal down I believe I can tell it has more power than pervious.
Total $ spent
adaptor (new) - $210
intake (used from 2008 Durango) - $110
egr (used from a 2010 Ram 1500) - $40
egr tube (new) - $20
egr gasket (new) - $5

intake gasket set (new) - $20
$405 total give or take a few bucks and almost four hours of my time on a sunday night.
Is it worth it? Probably not. Was a learning experience a bit though, and now my Commander probably has more power than any other 4.7L Commander in town. Small badge of honour. Just one more reason Ill drive this beast till the frame rusts out.
Glad to hear you were successful;

Nice work @Klaus Bartelt ;

1 - 8 of 8 Posts