Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Borla gives me directions using an 06' Commander that comes from the factory with a 2 piece system. My 07' is a 1 piece and I can't get it over the rear axle!!!!! Do I cut it in half, or can someone give me a tip. I'm sure Jeep didn't design the system to be cut out of the car if it needed to be removed.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Do you have the vehicle lifted off the ground in a way that allows the rear axle to droop? If you lift the vehicle using a normal jack /jack stands under the axle then the axle will be compressed up to it's normal position. You need to find a way to lift it without using the rear axle for support. This would allow the axle to droop and possibly give you enough room to manuever the piece through.

Otherwise, you could always cut the piece with the bandsaw or cutoff wheel and weld it back together (be sure to properly ground the vehicle before welding on it!)

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Would taking the right rear tire off help?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the right rear tire and shock off and she won't go. Since I posted this I have talked to an install shop, and they cut the system on Grand Cherokees and Commanders. The Factory system is installed before the axel is on the car, and short of dropping the axel off the car, requring disconnecting break lines, it's imposssible.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I had to cut the factory exhaust off my truck when I installed my Gibson system. This was documented in the Gibson instructions. I also jacked the truck up and let the axle drop to install the Gibson system. This was NOT documented in the instructions but helped a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts