Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new here. Purchased 07 commander limited 5.7 hemi AWD about 6 months ago (Michigan) has 144,000 miles. Bought it for 5k and have put 5k into it. I believe it sat for a number of years as everything was rotted. (Bought it from a friend who I thought was honest.. lol) anyway.. now that winter is here im having a stall issue. Only on 35 degree or less days and only when the engine is cold and only when coming to a complete stop. It isn't throwing any codes that relate to the issue from my mechanic. Ive been doing research and I see that stalling at high speeds is a common issue for this vehicle, however what mine is doing doesn't seem to fall into that category. I am about to take it for a dealer diagnostic but wondered if you all had any input. Sounds like it could be a million things. The crank shaft position sensor, the trans filter not being OEM, the idle air speed sensor, the MPS.. lol. Spark plugs are new, not sure if they are black top, which could be another possible issue..Anyone have any input?

·
Registered
215 Posts
It is most likely an issue with the transmission not the engine or sensors. The 545 RFE transmission in the Hemi commanders are very sensitive to air getting into the transmission fluid from either a leaking transmission pickup screen filter or the seal where the pickup filter engages into the transmission valve body. If air enters into the transmission fluid the transmission will not disengage from the torque converter and this causes the engine to stall when coming to a stop. Usually this happens when the transmission is cold and may only happen once or twice until the transmission heats up a little. This is caused usually by using an aftermarket transmission filter kit because the pickup screens on aftermarket kits have a very non-pliable seal where it installs in the valve body. This poorly fitting and sealing seal allows air to enter into the transmission fluid as it is being drawn into the valve body and this causes the stalling issue. As the transmission warms up the seal becomes more pliable and it begins sealing and the problem stops happening until it cools down again and the problem starts over again. It can also be caused by a cracked pickup screen body as it is made from plastic and these have been known to crack in earlier transmissions. If you have the transmission serviced and use an OEM Chrysler transmission kit with the proper seal the problem will go away.

Dan

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm pretty sure that this is the problem being that I had this happen to me. I also did not get any DTC error codes when this happened. It took me a while to figure out that the stalling was caused from the transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi! Im an leaning toward something different. This only happens when it's cold and when I completely brake. Low idle, the rpm's flutter then it stalls. When I restart it, it's totally fine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Tha
Hi! Im an leaning toward something different. This only happens when it's cold and when I completely brake. Low idle, the rpm's flutter then it stalls. When I restart it, it's totally fine.
That is exactly how it will act if the transmission fluid pickup filter screen is leaking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is most likely an issue with the transmission not the engine or sensors. The 545 RFE transmission in the Hemi commanders are very sensitive to air getting into the transmission fluid from either a leaking transmission pickup screen filter or the seal where the pickup filter engages into the transmission valve body. If air enters into the transmission fluid the transmission will not disengage from the torque converter and this causes the engine to stall when coming to a stop. Usually this happens when the transmission is cold and may only happen once or twice until the transmission heats up a little. This is caused usually by using an aftermarket transmission filter kit because the pickup screens on aftermarket kits have a very non-pliable seal where it installs in the valve body. This poorly fitting and sealing seal allows air to enter into the transmission fluid as it is being drawn into the valve body and this causes the stalling issue. As the transmission warms up the seal becomes more pliable and it begins sealing and the problem stops happening until it cools down again and the problem starts over again. It can also be caused by a cracked pickup screen body as it is made from plastic and these have been known to crack in earlier transmissions. If you have the transmission serviced and use an OEM Chrysler transmission kit with the proper seal the problem will go away.

Dan
Hi there! So guess what I found to be the problem with the stalling?!? The battery was the culprit! I got a new diehard and several of my problems went away! My last car was a 2003 mitsubishi.. not computerized.. lol.

·
Administrator
6,712 Posts
Hi there! So guess what I found to be the problem with the stalling?!? The battery was the culprit! I got a new diehard and several of my problems went away! My last car was a 2003 mitsubishi.. not computerized.. lol.
@Nicole 72;

Glad you got it sorted out; Thanks for the update.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts