Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm wondering if this is something I should be worried about. Last month I bought an 07 commander v6 with all time 4WD and so far I love it. I have noticed though on numerous occasions where I'm doing 45mph on flat road or downgrade and when approaching and incline I press the gas and it doesn't seem to have any power. I've tried pressing harder and still nothing for about 10-15sec then boom it downshifts TWO gears and RPM's spike up to 3500-4k. Anyone else have this same problem.

SIDE NOTE: I have noticed as peculiar as this may sound that at night I have some lights out behind my heat/ac knob and AS I WAS DRIVING the light behind the knob illuminated and the problem seemed to have went away. I cannot reproduce this, since that one time, the lights are dimmed if not off and the issue persists but it varies with speed between 40-50mph. I always keep it in drive and typically don't use the electronic downshift but once when it did happen I attempted to downshift using the electronic shifter and nothing seemed to happen...any ideas?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would guess guess the electronic conductor plate in the trans. they seem to be the weak spot in the v6 tranny. it controls the shifting with speed sensors. I've had shifting issues related to this and had it replaced. I had a dtc pointing at the speed sensors also. I'm guessing there are no codes thrown. this probably won't happen til you get stuck in limp mode, went you stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear. I 'd shut it down and restart. it would go back to normal and happen again. Had this fixed in december.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds expensive =/ Is it something a mechanically inclined person with no lift can do on their own? I looked up the part its just over $100 but the labor I'd rather do myself if its easy and doesn't require removing anything major. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
571 Posts
If you found the part for around 100, I'd be tempted to do this myself. Theres a video on utube on how to remove the valve body on the NAG1 tranny, which is Mercedes. chech it out and see what you think. You must remove the electrical connector left side of tranny. This is what powers the conductor plate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*UPDATE* So it happened a couple more times and it doesn't seem to correlate to the speed sensor. I'm told there's usually a code thrown if this fails. On the way home the other day, it bogged down. I was coasting at just under 50 and when I hit the gas it seemed like it just LOST power. It down shifted and the RPM's went to just under 3k but no power...then just like clockwork about 10-15 sec later the power came back. After that I started smelling fuel, really worried what would cause this. I'm thrown for a loop and it ONLY seems to happen between 40-50 MPH when I'm coasting down hill then press on the gas. When I smelled fuel it wasnt RAW gas it smelled like any SUV/TRUCK does if they floor it and your behind them...like rich, spent, exhaust. Still think its the Electronic Conductor Plate?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Its really surprising how many different issues occur when electronic parts malfunction, especially related to the NAG1 trans. I think a bad conductor plate would cause erratic shifting all the way around. I'd definately take it to the shop, explain issues and let them take it for a drive. Call around and ask if they're familiar with our tranny and go from there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I called a Jeep dealer but without Diag Fee's they don't want to give you ANY info. Still intermittently happening but it's not putting a damper on my driving. I even went to OBX last month and took it out on the beach. FUN TIMES! I'll post update once I found out more. I was hoping to get confirmation prior to shelling out the $$ for the electronic conductor plate. Sorry for the delayed response, haven't been on in a while

1 - 8 of 8 Posts