Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got one in today and I got to prep it and roadtest it. One of our other Techs is a die hard Jeep nut who has been ragging on the new Wrangler since the pictures first came out. He was also complaining about pretty much everything they released about it, well seeing one today shut him up good, now he wants one lol. Looks great in person, very tough looking truck, big tires even on the Sahara that we got in. Massive tow hooks in front, the frame looks much stronger then the 06 Wrangler, the suspension is seriously beefed up and looks even easier to lift then the old Wrangler. Everything on the truck is solid, even the doors open and close very smoothly. The ride was much better then the old one and power does feel like it is up a little though it also does feel like it lost a little in the low end torque. There is a large amount of room in front of the engine though, maybe just enough to fit a V8?
The Wrangler is also the first Ive seen with the new radio and it is very nice. I could see some heads turning on the road test, it definitely got noticed in fact my PDI was interrupted several times by customers wanting to look at it. All in all I think Jeep has another big hit, and once the die hard Jeep nuts get a look at it they will like what they see too.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
There are "budget" lift kits out for it already that let you run 35s. :)

AEV, ARB, Mopar, Rancho, etc. are already developing aftermarket components.

People have complaints about the engine but it was probably the best existing, (well tested) engine DCX had in their parts bin. There were concerns about how heavy duty the new 4.0L V6 engine was and whether it would stand up to the abuse that Wrangler engines take.

The driveline has been seriously beefed up. The frame is like 100% stiffer. Federal crash regulations are going to cause that rear muffler to get seriously beat up though (Jeep had no choice about that though as they HAD to move the fuel tank).

The Liberty sales will drop a lot and you will probably see heavy incentives on the KJ. This is not a dig on the Liberty but the Wrangler Unlimited is aimed directly at it's current market. That is part of the reason the next generation Liberty will be moving more upscale and will also be moving to a boxy Commander style.

The old stripped down Jeep packages will be only available in the Patriot and Compass as the "base model" Wranglers, Wrangler Unlimiteds, Liberty, Grand Cherokee, and Commanders are now fairly loaded.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Unlimited Sahara we got in has a sticker of about $28k, it had the soft top only. The 4.0 V6 just has not been proven yet, but is mostly a bored and stroked 3.5L. I think it may not have been ready for the Wrangler release, or they didnt think they would have enough to introduce it in 3 new models in its first year. The 3.7 I thought would have been a more obvious choice since it was allready in a RWD and 4WD applications. The worst part of the 3.7 in Liberty's and Dakota's is the 42RLE trans, in a WK or XK with the NAG it feels like a completely different engine. Liberty sales will probably be hurt more by the Nitro, which is pretty much what the 08 Liberty will become.

The frame looks a lot heavier then the old one and the driveshafts look like very beefy upgrades over the 06. The 255/70 18 tires that came with the Sahara look pretty big, I cant wait to see how the 32s look on the Rubicon. Im also very anxious to get a good look at the electronic sway bar disconnect on the Rubicon. We had one customer in today looking to trade his 06 Rubicon Unlimited in on an 07. He has a growing family and the extra spot in the rear seat will allow him to keep his favorite toy, he was afraid he would have to grow out of the Wrangler it in until he looked at the 07. Quite frankly I liked the old Rubicon, extremely capable off road but you paid a lot for that capabillity and got few creature comforts to go along with it. Now you can have both, those who think its not a real Jeep because its comfortable too should probably buy themselves an old Willys. :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was in Moab, Utah for the Jeep Safari this Easter when they unveiled the Wrangler Unlimited! It was really cool to say that I was one of the first to see it. The only concern that I had looking at it was the extra long wheelbase. It could really help in some situations, but only time will tell. It will be good to finally see them on the road. Overall it looked like a very trailworthy Rig!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Well, if one doesn't want the extra long wheelbase they would select the Wrangler, instead of the Wrangler Unlimited.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks Rubicontrail for putting the photos on here...I really like the long wheelbase model. Lots of space inside and still has the distinctive Jeep styling...that is going to be a winner in the showroom. But I love my Commander and am very satisfied with it for now.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Rubicontrail Thanks for the post, a wealth of information. Cannot wait to see one in person

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got a chance to experience this beast in Sahara attire up close as well. Admittedly I had some prejudiced misconceptions of this vehicle based upon the pictures on the website, but was pleasantly surprised in what I saw when I sat inside. It's very solidly built. and having a real usable backseat is pretty sweet. The dealer told me that all the Wranglers will be this size from here on out. I seriously hope not! I told him I beg to differ. If they do, they'll bring back the short wheel base models the next year. He said, Why? this is what the public is asking for. Power windows and all. I said I don't think hardcore offroaders will be able to find a vehicle capable and with the same or better breakover angle. He looked at me and said. "wha?" At that point I knew it was pointless talking to this Chrylser schlep.... But anyway. it's a nice looking truck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Commander in Jeep said:
He said, Why? this is what the public is asking for. Power windows and all. I said I don't think hardcore offroaders will be able to find a vehicle capable and with the same or better breakover angle. He looked at me and said. "wha?" At that point I knew it was pointless talking to this Chrylser schlep.... But anyway. it's a nice looking truck.
Sad, but he is correct, there just are not enough hardcore offroaders to support the model as just a simple hardcore offroad machine. Jeep sold 98 thousand or so Wranglers last year, they are hoping to sell at least 150 thousand of the new ones and I doubt they will have any problem doing that.

The old machine was very capable off road, but seriously lacked content for what you paid for them, you could easily go over 30k and still not even get power windows or locks. The new model is actually pretty close in price to the old, but you get a lot more content for your money and I think it will actually be even more capable off road.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Wrangler Rubicon is a pretty capable vehicle. I Think that there will always be a want and need for the TJ Wrangler or similar models. The concept of the Unlimited is great though. Each Jeep has its purpose. I'm just happy to see Jeep trying a few different things!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Scoobydew31 said:
there will always be a want and need for the TJ Wrangler or similar models
Hence the reason why they are still making the traditional two-door Wrangler in addition to the Unlimited.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts