Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would towing a loaded ZJ (stock) behind my 08 XK be too much for it?

Also, anyone know what setup I would need for the ZJ?

Thank you.

·
2,248 Posts
I used my Commander to go to California and get my Bracket race car and tow it back to Phoenix on the trailer that I usually carry the car on. I had not trouble towing it. I did have a weight equalizing hitch and a sway control attachment on the hitch. I am sure that the two together weighed over 4,000 pounds. Here is a picture of the car and trailer.

Attachments

·
2,248 Posts
I used my Commander to go to California and get my Bracket race car and tow it back to Phoenix on the trailer that I usually carry the car on. I had no trouble towing it. I did have a weight equalizing hitch and a sway control attachment on the hitch. I am sure that the two together weighed over 4,000 pounds. Here is a picture of the car and trailer.

·
2,248 Posts
I have also flat towed my TJ easily with the 4.7 Commander. Here is a picture of it.

·
2,248 Posts
Sorry for the double posts. still getting the hang of how this works. Here is the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rubicontrail.net said:
Flat tow, or on a trailer? What kind of terrain. Do you have a brake controller?
with a towbar and mostly level terrain. will be about 50 miles or so through Ute pass in Colorado - which is straight up.

no brake controller.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HueyPilotVN said:
I have also flat towed my TJ easily with the 4.7 Commander. Here is a picture of it.
looks good. since the XK is heavier than the ZJ i would not expect it to push much if at all. what sort of baseplate (if any) would i need to get? never mounted a towbar to a vehicle before.

·
2,248 Posts
The TJ connection for a tow bar is pretty simple and can usually be welded to the front bumper. I am not sure about a Cherokee. A couple of sites that you might check out are Blue Ox and Roadmaster. Do a search and they will list towbars and baseplates. You might even check the local U-Haul dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts