Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning light comes on when I try to use low range--going to dealer but need some advance advice to be prepared as to possible cause. Dealer replaced the 4wd pump 6 months ago under extended warranty--4wd worked OK after repair--not now,

BCB

·
Administrator
15,241 Posts
Did you have the N23 recall performed ? If so, that is your problem.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I've had to go back 4 times for the same problem.
First they changed the "solenoid" (?) that sucks it into low.
That worked for a week. Then they checked the connections and cleaned them. 2 Wks.
Then they say they went thru it from top to bottom and cleared all the codes.
Codes : C1405 - Transfer Case Range Position SensorCircuit & C140f -Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Erratic. Good luck!

·
Registered
139 Posts
They did the software update on my 5.7 and the same thing happened to me, the only thing was that I realized it after I left for VA .
For those having this issue try this
Turn off car
Take out fuse 25(one labeled fdcm/ediff) it's different on different years
Turn on car drive forward a few feet and reverse a few feet. Turn off car and plug in the fuse.
Turn the car on and test the 4lo

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Did you have the N23 recall performed ? If so, that is your problem.
I did have that cursed recall done and brought her in for the same annunciation shortly after. It's been since summer since the service 4wd system message. I tried the #25 fuse trick to no avail. Anyone have any other suggestions? Cheers. Jorge

·
Registered
954 Posts
There was a TSB that was released that addresses the issue with Jeeps having had the N23 recall performed. They released a new flash version that fixes it. There's a thread all about it here: N23 Recall Flash.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Warning light comes on when I try to use low range--going to dealer but need some advance advice to be prepared as to possible cause. Dealer replaced the 4wd pump 6 months ago under extended warranty--4wd worked OK after repair--not now,
NO---appreciate your reply,
When a vehicle is inducted for Service, the Dealer usually checks if there are any recalls or software updates for the vehicle and performs them. I "think" wiTECH tool they hook for diagnostics automatically checks and tells them to do the updates, but I don't know that for sure. As well, there are some service things you might go to a dealer that they never have to hook up a wiTECH (like an oil change) and the Dealer might NOT do the checks and updates then.

So, if you brought you vehicle in within the last year to have the drivetrain repaired, it is very likely they hooked up the wiTECH machine and did the updates, that includes the N23 update. The Dealer likely just never told you about it, and many times they don't.

Ummmm, whats a 4WD pump? Could you be envisioning the XFR Case shift motor?

Bring the new TSB with you when you go to the Dealer the next time, ask them to check and update to the latest software. They shouldn't charge you for that, if the problem is it's only needs the software update.

If you bring your vehicle to the Dealer have them update the software, when it doesn't have a problem NOR part of a recall, many Dealer's will try to charge you for updating the software.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Just got her back from the dealer. Yesterday, the service advisor said the mechanic diagnosed the transfer case clutch as bad and the bill comes to $2700 for a new t-case plus labor. I tried to speak with the guy, but he doesn't work on Saturday. So, if anyone could illuminate me on a couple of things, I would be really grateful: 1) Is the issue limited to 4 low? The car drives normally, so I don't know if the bad clutch affects daily all-wheel-drive driving or only 4 low. 2) Can a non-dealer shop give me a second opinion or I'm I stuck with the dealerships? 3) What if I don't fix it the 4 low issue, will the t-case strand me? 4) Does it make sense to buy a remanufactured t-case or go with a new one?
Thanks in advance. The wife wants me to ditch Large Marge and get another Jeep. I can't bear the thought of parting with her (the Jeep, not the wife; OK, not the wife either) but Large Marge's clock is running slightly south of 120K miles and I don't know what's going to give up the ghost next.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've had this problem before and it's not related to the N23 recall.
Just before Xmas I was on a big day out 4Wding with the boys. The first big hill climb came up and the TC would not shift onto Low range. So I did the "pull fuse 25" and it worked .
This is the second time in the last 2 years this has happened. It's just a simple glitch. The poor old ECU gets confused so you pull fuse #25.

As mentioned below:
"Turn off car
Take out fuse 25(one labeled fdcm/ediff) it's different on different years
Turn on car drive forward a few feet and reverse a few feet. Turn off car and plug in the fuse.
Turn the car on and test the 4lo"

Bingo and away you go in Low Range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts