Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im very new. First post :) picking up my commander Friday.

Anyway, I've been reading alot about different lifts and trying to find the best option for me. I just want a 2" lift so I can put some 265 70/17s on and make this jeep look like a jeep not a soccer van.

It will be a daily drive. However, I will be taking it off roaD. Hunting and fishing plus back trails to the beach front. Should I get spacer lift or Ome springs and bilstein shocks for front and back?

Also will.be replacing the front bumper with a steel one wit a winch and curious which front springs/shocks would be best up front to keep it from sinking in the front.

Last question belongs In another spot but ill ask it.here.to.save space. Where do you buy the wider fender flares for The commander?

Thank you and looking forward to some good answers ;)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have not seen aftermarket flares for this vehicle, some were custom made for one, but I don't think they were ever made available. Some of them come from the factory with faux rivets in them, they may be wider than the ones without.

Some members have cut their flares and that looks good with a big tire and lift. Paging sal-xk

*Edit*
if your getting a heavy duty bumper and winch I would go with the OME HD springs definitely.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Thank you for.the help. Does the ome springs with shocks give same lift as a spacer lift? I don't want any rubbing at all.
OME springs will lift 2.5-3" depending on MD or HD (HD being higher) and weight. You may lose a bit of height with bumper and winch (but not much since thats what the HD was designed for), and you could counter that with strut plates if you so choose. Either way you'll get more height with the springs than you would with stock springs and a spacer lift. With or without the bumper and winch.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-spacers-strut-plates-xk-wk.html

Instead of the strut plates you could use bilstein 5100 struts @ the lowest setting, which lift an additional .75," known as the "Modified OME lift."

http://www.crawl-offroad.com/#!product/prd1/1493608595/modified-ome

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for.the help. Does the ome springs with shocks give same lift as a spacer lift? I don't want any rubbing at all.
OME springs will lift 2.5-3" depending on MD or HD (HD being higher) and weight. You may lose a bit of height with bumper and winch (but not much since thats what the HD was designed for), and you could counter that with strut plates if you so choose. Either way you'll get more height with the springs than you would with stock springs and a spacer lift. With or without the bumper and winch.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-spacers-strut-plates-xk-wk.html

Instead of the strut plates you could use bilstein 5100 struts @ the lowest setting, which lift an additional .75," known as the "Modified OME lift."

http://www.crawl-offroad.com/#!product/prd1/1493608595/modified-ome
That kit you linked Shows rear spring spacers? Does that increase lift even more? I'm really only looking for a couple inches. I do not want to mess with having to replace alot of underbody stuff because of to high of a lift.

Just enough to fit 265 70/17s without rubbing woth spacers and a higher stance.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
That kit you linked Shows rear spring spacers? Does that increase lift even more? I'm really only looking for a couple inches. I do not want to mess with having to replace alot of underbody stuff because of to high of a lift.

You either need wheel spacers or wheels with less backspacing for 265 most likely or you can cut back the UCA bolt a bit.

OME lift springs are more than enough to clear those tires.

Yes that link has rear spring spacers and bilstein 5100's up front. This increases the lift more than the OME springs alone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You either need wheel spacers or wheels with less backspacing for 265 most likely or you can cut back the UCA bolt a bit.

OME lift springs are more than enough to clear those tires.

Yes that link has rear spring spacers and bilstein 5100's up front. This increases the lift more than the OME springs alone.
So ome HD springs front and back, bilstein shocks up front. Does it replace the rear shocks too?

I've seen some videos where they replace control arms. Is that something that should be done too?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
So ome HD springs front and back, bilstein shocks up front. Does it replace the rear shocks too?

I've seen some videos where they replace control arms. Is that something that should be done too?
That lift does, bilstein 5100 rear shocks.

Control arms aren't required, but typically @ this point people consider their UCA's @ EOL and figure they might as well replace them while they have the suspension in pieces.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

That lift does, bilstein 5100 rear shocks.

Control arms aren't required, but typically @ this point people consider their UCA's @ EOL and figure they might as well replace them while they have the suspension in pieces.
Sounds like that kit is the best kit for me than. A little spendy but itll be nice to have all new suspension parts than just putting a spacer in.

What's the difference from the Ome 2.5" lift to the Ome modified lift . Both you can choose HD springs . I'm confused on why one is better than the other

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Sounds like that kit is the best kit for me than. A little spendy but itll be nice to have all new suspension parts than just putting a spacer in.

What's the difference from the Ome 2.5" lift to the Ome modified lift . Both you can choose HD springs . I'm confused on why one is better than the other
The "modified" version is running bilsteins all around, and is .75" higher in the front and 2" higher in the rear than the non modified version. (monotube shocks)

The non midified OME lift is rubbing OME shocks, which are a fine heavy duty shock, although a bit softer than Bilstein (twin tube shocks), and does not include an additional spacer for the rear, or adjustable strut spring perches in the front.

http://www.kyb.com/knowledge-center/shock-tech-for-pros/monotube-vs-twintube/
Keep in mind this description is trying to sell you on the increased cost of monotube shocks vs typical low end Twin tubes so it may be a bit biased and does not account for a custom HD tqin tube shock such as the OME shocks packaged with their kit. It should give you an idea of the advantages of a monotube design however.
TWIN-TUBE SHOCK OR STRUT HAS TWO CYLINDERS:

The inner, or working cylinder, is where the piston and shaft move up and down. The outer cylinder serves as a reservoir for the hydraulic fluid. There are fluid valves in the piston and in the stationary base valve. The base valve controls fluid flow between both cylinders and provides some of the damping force. The valves in the piston control most of the damping. The term Gas Shock usually refers to the same twin-tube design, but with one improvement. Low pressure Nitrogen gas is added to replace any oxygen air. The effect lessens aeration and performance fade.

THE MONOTUBE DESIGN HAS A SINGLE CYLINDER:

The cylinder is divided into sections: A fluid area and a gas chamber. The piston and shaft move in the fluid portion. It uses a single fluid valve assembly in the piston. The diameter of the single working cylinder and piston valve is larger than in a twin tube even though the outside dimensions of each may the same. There is no need for an air or gas in the fluid area so the valve can operate more responsively and without any aeration or performance fade. The high pressure gas chamber is separated from the fluid area by a floating piston & seal. That provides an expansion area for the excess fluid movement during the compression stroke. On more aggressive movement the floating piston is pushed further into the gas chamber which increases gas pressure quickly and provides additional damping force. Because of its higher performance capabilities, the monotube design is used as original equipment on some vehicles and offered as an upgrade on vehicles that came equipped with the twin tube design.
Simple Facts:
Why Bilstein 5100 Series Leveling Shocks are far superior to coilover spacer kits:
http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/Bil_LevShks_WebArticle.pdf

I have heard members are quite happy with both setups. I have bilstein 5100 struts for my front lift @ 1.5" and like them a lot.

"ride quality" is pretty subjective, many people like a softer ride and the standard OME HD lift would be softer than a bilstein equipped one.

Bilstein charges less for their shocks than OME. Though adding a rear spacer to keep a bit of rake on this vehicle increases the cost of OME springs + bilstein shocks combo so overall its very similar in cost. OME springs level the vehicle and bilstein 5100 struts @ their lowest setting would make the vehicle sit nose High, unless you added lots of weight to the front (bumper and winch) but YMMV there.

The difference between HD and MD springs is spring rate (stiffness) HD should leave you with a slightly higher overall static height, and will handle increased weight like bumpers and winches, and towing loads much better. Most recommend to go with HD unless you have a v6 vehicle and dont plan to add any weight.

Hopefully that clears some things up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the v6 version and will only be towing a light trailer with 4 wheeler and nothing more. I will be placing a heavy duty front bumper and whinch on the front in the future.

Last question I promise. What Is the overall lift on the rear if you add spacers to an already higher lift? The ome 2.5" lift is, well, 2.5 inches lol. How much lift total does the modified ome lift equate to?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have the v6 version and will only be towing a light trailer with 4 wheeler and nothing more. I will be placing a heavy duty front bumper and whinch on the front in the future.

Last question I promise. What Is the overall lift on the rear if you add spacers to an already higher lift? The ome 2.5" lift is, well, 2.5 inches lol. How much lift total does the modified ome lift equate to?
Exact numbers are going to vary a touch. 2.5" spring lift + 2" spacer should be ~4.5" by my calculations :SM127:

Hah :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Exact numbers are going to vary a touch. 2.5" spring lift + 2" spacer should be ~4.5" by my calculations

Hah
Doesn't everyone recommend the skyjacker lift if going 4"? I only want two inches. Not 4.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone have a link that shoes the difference from a 2" lift and 4" lift? Google uses alot of the same images for.both. it's rather confusing.

I might go 4" if it's not overly drastic. I just want bigger tires mostl.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would suggest you get the OME HD struts/springs, as it will handle the weight of a steel bumper very well. This will net you around 2.75"-3" of lift, and if the bumper is especially heavy you could add an on top of strut 3/8" spacer for a bit more lift; this is the setup I ran for years and its definitely the highest you can safely go. Beyond this, the front is maxed out and can only be increased with a full on Superlift including diff drop brackets and spindles to correct tie rod angles. Mainly for the front you just need to remember not to go over 23" hub to fender. The rear is much easier and has a few more options to gain max height\travel. You can run OME HD springs to match the front, or go for an inexpensive 4" lift with one of these options:

1.) Combine OME HD springs with a 2" spacer (rear only!!). CoreXK has done this and gained similar results to using Superlift springs

2.) Swap in 4" Superlift springs

Keep in mind, going 4" in the rear as opposed to ~2.5"-3" requires a few considerations as far as shocks and bumpstops, but it gives the most lift without having to shell out $1400 for the full Superlift kit. My rear height was 39" ground to fender with 4" SL springs + 265/70/17's, and the front was at 38" w\ OME HD spring + HD struts + 3/8" strut spacer. This was definitely the max for the front, as I could feel the CV's slightly bind when turning at full lock and giving it hard power. Even so, this truly transformed my Commander into a JEEP, with tons a travel in the rear and max height in the front.

Either way, I ran the OME HD kit on my V6 and it was perfect as far as height. It fit 265 duratracs just fine and could have fit 285's no problem. Hell, 07jeepxk fit 305's with this OME+SL setup and trimming. I'd say just don't get MD, especially with a steel bumper in the future, as that's what the HD is made for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Where are you seeing super lifts for 1400? The few I've seen are around 22. If i could find a set for 14 that would be an option too. Been reading alot more into lifts and a 4" isn't out of my realm of possibilities.
However, having to pay someone to do it for me would.get expensive.

Would take about 7-10 labor hours and I'm unsure what shops charge by the hour.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Does anyone have a link that shoes the difference from a 2" lift and 4" lift? Google uses alot of the same images for.both. it's rather confusing.

I might go 4" if it's not overly drastic. I just want bigger tires mostl.
You have the less expensive option of running OME springs, bilstein 4600HD struts, and bilstein 5100 shocks in the rear. This costs less than OME shocks and springs, and would net you 2.5-3" lift and give you the more sporty bilstein shocks. Not to mention you could do this install yourself.

You'd have to purchase the springs and shocks separately of course.

Because you have a v6 I wouldn't plan on Huge tires. I have 32's and I am happy with the look, and performance hit was minimal, much more than that and your really going to be down on acceleration and MPG

Ill get you some pictures.

This is Omelets build, his log is nuts, its a great read.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/omelets-build-thread-aka-bison-1309254/
Its a WK, but same suspension and chassis.
Stock

OME MD 255/75r17's

OME HD front springs same tires (he added armor and thus weight, felt he needed HD coils now)

Nitto Trail Grapplers in the hefty 295/70/17.

Superlift: (gained 3" of droop) Plus cut down OME springs IIRC. so slightly taller than base superlift

Modified Superlift on 37"s, JBA 6" rear coils

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The more I see superlifts, the more I want to go that route. Why is everything so expensive. Any one have an idea how much shops charge for a superlift install?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts