Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Greetings! I have an 08 Commander and suddenly the rear hatch won't open. I pull the handle and it appears to be locked. I've unlocked it via the key fob as well as the switch, but still won't open. This happened suddenly, as I had opened it 5 minutes earlier.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to get to the mechanism with the hatch shut?

BTW, Commander Sport, 5 passenger.......

Thanks in advance!

Dave

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Well, I know the hatch will not open if the back window is open. Maybe try openning the back window and reclosing it.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I just thought of something else that might be effecting it. I'm not sure, but there might be a lockout if the back wiper is on. I seem to remember something about that, but that might just prevent the back window from openning.

Let us know if you get it open or not and what you did to solve it.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I just checked. With the rear wiper on, the window will not open, but the hatch will. With the rear window open, the hatch will still open. Hope this helps.:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Oops. Sorry 'bout that. I was going by memory. I should have tried it like dhh3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately, still not working.....

There's a small dummy piece of plastic in the back....gonna pop it off and see what I can find.

Stay tuned....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rear hatch issue -- update

Well, I popped off the little access panel on the rear hatch and found the problem. the connector that the solonoid cable connects to in order to pop open the hatch is broken (very flimsy plastic).

Time for a warranty repair!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Good find. Thanks for letting us know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine isn't working either - i'm thinking it might be what someone else had mentioned - "the connector that the solonoid cable connects to in order to pop open the hatch is broken" does anyone know where I'd buy this part? would I just go to a jeep dealership?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Mine isn't working either - i'm thinking it might be what someone else had mentioned - "the connector that the solonoid cable connects to in order to pop open the hatch is broken" does anyone know where I'd buy this part? would I just go to a jeep dealership?
Your best bet is going to the Jeep/Chrysler dealership.

They may not have it in stock, but, I'm sure they can order it if that does, in fact, turn out to be your problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts