Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm looking for some direction/advice for my problem.

My 08 3.7 6 cyl. commander was diagnosed with a bad rear differential last year. It sat for several months before I could afford the parts/repair. It was recently completed the shop called said all done I went and picked it up while driving away I noticed it wasn't right, wasn't accelerating properly so I returned to the dealer explained the issue and left it to check out.
They said since it sat for awhile that the transmission went bad.
I talked to a transmission shop, they said just sitting wouldn't make the transmission go bad but maybe the computers for transmission could have gone dead and need to be reflashed.

I took it in but on test drives it wont accelerate all the way which prevents him from properly diagnosing if anything is going on with transmission.

He says maybe the throttle body is a problem but they only do transmission
stuff not engine.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Wont accelerate all the way?

That sounds like limp mode.

Any codes?

Sitting for a few months wont cause that. I would force the shop to repair the problem on their dime since it obviously was given to you in non operable condition as soon as you picked it up.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Wont accelerate all the way?

That sounds like limp mode.

Any codes?

Sitting for a few months wont cause that. I would force the shop to repair the problem on their dime since it obviously was given to you in non operable condition as soon as you picked it up.
I agree sitting for a few months won't cause transmissions and computers to fail on its own. Now if the rear axle isn't done correctly that would cause issues. You could try rebooting the computer by disconnecting the battery for five minuets. Now if you have a dying battery that could cause a host of issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a commander 2006, 3.7L and I have similar issues. Would not accelerate well and at 60MPH she would run at 3000RPM and would not shift. Transmission guys serviced it and said the trans is good. She ran better but within a day or two the same thing started happening again. Here is the crazy part, if I pull over and shut down the jeep for 5 seconds and start it up, she works perfectly. So I pull over everyday on my way to and from work and shut it down after a couple of miles. Any advice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a commander 2006, 3.7L and I have similar issues. Would not accelerate well and at 60MPH she would run at 3000RPM and would not shift. Transmission guys serviced it and said the trans is good. She ran better but within a day or two the same thing started happening again. Here is the crazy part, if I pull over and shut down the jeep for 5 seconds and start it up, she works perfectly. So I pull over everyday on my way to and from work and shut it down after a couple of miles. Any advice?
J Ripa- did you find a solution to your problem? I am having the same issue

·
Administrator
15,529 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar issue several years ago when I would accelerate to around 35mph the rpms would would start to fluctuate between 3500 and 4000 preventing me from going any faster. This would happen a couple times a week and each time I would have to pull off the road and disconnect the battery to reset the computer and I would be good to go for another day or two. I did a little research and came to the conclusion (with around 70%ish certainty) that the problem was the grounding plate in my transmission. Around the same time I was about to pay $500 for a new one the problem miraculously disappeared never to return. I hope you have the same good luck I did.. (and that I'm not jinxing myself by sharing this little mechanical miracle)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts