Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and I'm thinking about purchasing an 08 Commander Sport 4X4 with the 4.7 V8 with tow package. I'm wanting to tow my 25' Tracer Ultra Lite travel trailer that has a base weight of 4,920 lbs. I know the Commander has a tow capacity of 6,500 pounds. I do have a weight distribution hitch and will add a brake controller. Will the Commander be able to handle this camper well? What are some things I should be aware of? Any recommendations would be appreciated - thanks!

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
I'm new to this forum and I'm thinking about purchasing an 08 Commander Sport 4X4 with the 4.7 V8 with tow package. I'm wanting to tow my 25' Tracer Ultra Lite travel trailer that has a base weight of 4,920 lbs. I know the Commander has a tow capacity of 6,500 pounds. I do have a weight distribution hitch and will add a brake controller. Will the Commander be able to handle this camper well? What are some things I should be aware of? Any recommendations would be appreciated - thanks!
I used to tow a 26' with no problems, I added a Prodigy brake controller.
I installed it in the little recess to the left and below the steering wheel.
Best to load up the trailer with everything and take it to a scale and find out what the actual weight will be.
Add up your fresh, Grey, black water capacities in gallons and times 8 lbs will give you that weight to be added also.
Oh, and when you add your brake controller, look for a loose green wire under the dash near the fuses and OBD port.
That's your brake control wire back to the 7 pin connector.
Might want to add an external transmission fluid cooler. I did.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to tow a 26' with no problems, I added a Prodigy brake controller.
I installed it in the little recess to the left and below the steering wheel.
Best to load up the trailer with everything and take it to a scale and find out what the actual weight will be.
Add up your fresh, Grey, black water capacities in gallons and times 8 lbs will give you that weight to be added also.
Oh, and when you add your brake controller, look for a loose green wire under the dash near the fuses and OBD port.
That's your brake control wire back to the 7 pin connector.
Might want to add an external transmission fluid cooler. I did.
Okay, thanks a bunch for this information!

· Premium Member
Dallas TX
722 Posts
you should have the 4.7 with the redesigned heads and more power. as @jklightner mentions, the trailer can get seriouly heavy with all your stuff so be aware of that. when hauling i did my best to make sure my grey/black tanks where emptied as often as i could to get a better balance on the trailer and remove that weight (my specific one had tanks further back so lightened the tounge load a bit)

· Registered
06 _ 5.7L _QD2 _ 142k _ 5100s 2.5" _ 265x70x17 _ stock wheels
332 Posts
I only tow water if i cant fill up where im goin. On a typical 40g tank, towing the water adds way more than i care to pay for in mileage. PS. you should be dumping grey/black before towing home. So you dont need to count that.
Vehicle Car Gesture Water Motor vehicle

· Registered
54 Posts
I've been towing a similar trailer for several years now, and I think you'll be fine. The only issue I've had is ascending maybe 3,000 feet up Mt Rainier on a hot day. When I got to the top my cooling fan was spinning a scary high speed that I'd never heard before and I smelled burning oil. I didn't have any engine lights nor did the temp gauge indicate a problem. A couple days later I started getting "service 4WD system" with DTC code C1438 which indicates a worn clutch or something related, but long story short that never materialzed into transmission work and I haven't gotten it again in over a year. So JK's suggestion of bolstering your trasmission fuild cooling is a good idea, expecially if you're traveling to any mountains. A couple other suggestions... Jeep doesn't make extendable mirrors for the Commander. I've been using these clip on extensions and recommend them. I've used in high wind and they don't budge. Also I tried a couple weight distibution hitches and this Anderson one is awsome. Easier to hitch up and disconnect, and lighter than the older styles.
Cloud Sky Water Tire Wheel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts