Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was servicing my XK today and noticed that the waterpump is dripping. It looks to be pretty easy to get to it to change it. It almost looks too easy. Am I missing something? Any suggestions or preferences for the waterpump?

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I found a 5 part video on Youtube replacing a waterpump on a Liberty 3.7 that was very informative and I'll be changing mine soon. When I looked it over,it seemed too good to be true and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Hopefully, the weather will warm up a bit and I can get it done in the next week or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got up early this morning and decided I needed to get this done and here's what I found. The waterpump is fine. It was weeping around the o-ring even though everything was tight. Now,replace the waterpump or clean everything up and apply some RTV and re-assemble? Has anyone else found this issue? It only has 50K on it....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Id replace it. My truck has 47k and noticed same thing you did. I let it go a week and then replaced. The waterpump was loose as hell. For as cheap as it is might as well do it and save yourself a headache.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Id replace it. My truck has 47k and noticed same thing you did. I let it go a week and then replaced. The waterpump was loose as hell. For as cheap as it is might as well do it and save yourself a headache.
That's what i've decided to do - replace it and be done - hopefully. I am concerned that it was the o-ring leaking and not the pump itself. It would only leave a spot on the garage floor about the size of a fifty cent piece occasionally but after searching on the net and some Youtube videos I was afraid I would find that the bearings were shot.It will take longer to go get parts than the R&R. It's super easy and simple on the 3.7 without the towing package(no fan/fanclutch) to change the waterpump.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice.. I did mine a few months ago, piece of cake.. Did my sisters on her 96 grand cherokee 4.0, what a nightmare that was, no room at all..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 4.0 waterpump aren't hard , just time consuming and a little rough on your forearms........

·
Registered
114 Posts
The 4.0 waterpump aren't hard , just time consuming and a little rough on your forearms........
No water pump is hard, it's just the amount of things that need to be removed on different vehicles.. I owned a bunch of Jeeps in the 80's and 90's and changed plenty of them..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts