Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a couple threads some time back on people researching the possibility of just doing a front lift of about 1" to level the commander. I pulled them up but diddnt find any resolution. I've been off the board for several months, and was wondering if anyone got resolve on this?

The little (very) Off Roading I will do with my Commander will be Beach and some trail to get to bike/hiking trails, so no need for a full lift, but I want to replace the stock tires with a better/high performance all season tire. I want to go wider, so will do spacers and would prefer a little lift in the front. IT isnt necessary, and the "rake" doesnt look bad, but I'd like to if it is possible.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Others will have to direct you to my original posts [ I don't know how] but I have completed a 1" version of same.
Interest has been high enouph to make me believe it is marketable.
I am currently performing destructive testing on the upper mount to satisfy myself that the system will not compromise your vehicle.
I am about 2 weeks away from introduction.
You can read about my initial design by looking up the title, Attitude Adjustment.
If you wish, I can send photos of the 1" version and installed appearance on my Commander.
P.M. Me with your e-mail add. if desired.

..........Rob

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
A 1" front spacer lift is very popular with the 4Runner crowd as well. There are hundreds of 4Runner owners using them without any issues. The lift is nothing more than a 1/2" aluminum spacer that is situated on top of the coil spring. Due to suspension geometry, a 1/2" spacer nets exactly 1" of lift.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
A 1" front spacer lift is very popular with the 4Runner crowd as well. There are hundreds of 4Runner owners using them without any issues. The lift is nothing more than a 1/2" aluminum spacer that is situated on top of the coil spring. Due to suspension geometry, a 1/2" spacer nets exactly 1" of lift.

TR4Runner - This sounds like a possible option. Any Idea if or where available for the Commander? Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

TR4Runner - This sounds like a possible option. Any Idea if or where available for the Commander? Thanks
Are you sure this info is accurate. The only reason I ask is because the BDS lift spacers were exactly 2 inches up front and when installed I gained exactly 2 inches. So I don't understand how a 1/2 spacer will give you 1 inch of lift.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Well, a 1.5" lift will make it dead level.
You need a bit of rake for load. Otherwise, every time you carried people or cargo it would end up looking like rear springs needed.
Also, I think the headlights will knock the birds out of trees.
Currently, it appears all lifts, i.e. 2" and beyond raise the rear as well to maintain that 1/2" rake.
........Rob

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My BDS lift has 2 inch spacers in the front and 1 1/2 inch spacers for the rear to give it a more leveled look. I think that the half inch alone makes a huge difference!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can some one explain to me the reason to buy a 1" lift?

I don't think i would notice it unless i parked beside one with it

Now a 2" i notice that much and it does not affect the cv boots or drive line ?

·
Banned
1,397 Posts

If you do a 2" lift on the front only, your Commander will look like it is sagging in the rear.

The nice thing about the 1" front lift is that you don't have to do anything to the rear. And of course you get rid of some of the rake (jacked up look) from the factory. I think it's a subtle improvement and definitely worth it.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts

Well, I'll try,
My original thread revolved around trying to find out if there was a need for a minor lift.
The motivation was, I felt, and turns out I'm not alone, that the factory rake was excessive to the eye.
I decided to make a minor lift with the following criteria,
1. It must allow the use of stock wheels and tires. Anything past 1" makes the Commander look a bit uh.....dorky to my eye untill larger tires are installed.
2. It will not compromise the ride or handling.
3. It requires simple hand tools to install and can be done by one person, if they are reasonably mechanically inclined and own decent tools.
4. It must be reasonably inexpensive, but of high quality. I will be making these from t-304 stainless.
5. There will be no potential of this midification compromising the safety or integrety of the vehicle.
Number one is the primary answer to your question though, as well as not adding too much difference to getting in and out.
Hope that clarified a bit and thanks for asking!
............Rob

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
robby said:
The motivation was, I felt, and turns out I'm not alone, that the factory rake was excessive to the eye.
I actually like the "rake". To me it makes the Commander look agressive.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts