Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Positive:
Have not found any quality problems so far. Everything is in place and car drives very nicely, a real pleasure on the road. Even greater pleasure to look at and I get lots of admiring WOWs.

Negatives:
1. UNDERSIZED GAS TANK. Mileage is about 13.5 in combined city/hwy (4.7 V8). There is no way to come even close to advertized 19 mpg on hwy. This would not bother me so much as I wasn't buying a VW Golf. But what does concerns me is a terribly undersized gas tank. If all I can do is 230 miles on a gas tank, this car has not meant my expectations. There are no cars out there that cannot go 300 miles on a gas tank. They don't put Camry's tanks into Hummer, right? Dealer says the mileage will improve with time. It may (or may not) by 1 mph or so but the gas tank will not get bigger with time. The car designer should have not just "recycled" the Cherokee's gas tank but had to fit a bigger vehicle with a bigger gas tank. In a "trail-rated" "go-anywhere" Jeep, this is a major undersight. You can go anywhere as long as it is not too far.

2. PASSENGER SEAT TOO LOW. The advertized design concept of "theater seating" is a fiasco to be sure. The 2nd and 3rd seat passengers (a rare passenger in 2nd row for me and never anyone in 3rd seat) get a nice look of the road. My wife, who is 5'-7" can see only the top the dash but not the road from the front seat. She instantly declared that she "hates this thing". Passenger seat is height is unujustable as with a height change the rear passengers will no longer be in the theater (and that would so terrible of course). Driver's view is fine as the seat have vertical adjustment. If your wife is 5' tall she will see only glove compartment and the sky.

3. SHOPPING FLYING OUT FROM THE BACK.
If you open the back liftgate you'll see that with the 3rd seat down (it is always down for me) the surface is raised over the bumper about 3 inches. With the shopping getting jammed against the back liftgate, be extra careful opening the back liftgate or the contents of the shopping will be all over the driveway once the liftgate goes up - glass jar first. What I do is open the back window first, stick my head into car, "unjam" items pressed against the back door, close the back window and ONLY THEN carefully open the lift gate. There are some hooks there but Jeep was too cheap to get some kind of back mesh to keep the stuff in. Isn't this something?

4. 3RD SEAT NOT REMOVABLE.
Let's make it clear - the 3rd seat is a kiddie seat and was never intended for anyone traveling long distances and that's fine. It's just a way to get half the soccer team home from practice. Jeep should have given a thought to the fact that some of the car buyers may desire to temporary or permanently remove the 3rd seat to gain extra storage . Seat should have been easily removable. It is not.

OTHER THAN THAT, IT'S AN AWESOME TRUCK!
I apologize if I got some people upset but I have to put the facts on the line.
Thank You

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been reading several of the present and past threads about mileage etc. on the 4.7L Commander. I personally do not own one yet, but would really like to buy one. I was just curious to ask what your driving habits are? Are you the type of driver that is content to keep your foot out of the accelerator or do you like to get where you're going rather quickly?

It seems odd that some of you get between 17-18.5, while you get only 13.5 or so.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Agree on #1. I was really surprised to see how small the tank is. Wouldn't have kept me from buying it had I noticed before but still annoying. I've read that less than 5% of SUV owners ever go off-roading, so while a valid point about going anywhere as long as it's not too far, it won't affect enough people to matter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with everything.
Pros: I love it, great truck.
Cons: all the above and more.

Couldn't they have tiped the windshield back a bit? It seams like a design flaw that I have to lean forward to see the stop light.

There should always be an mp3 player connection in every radio.

I have to pull the driver seat way to far forward for someone to sit in the 2nd row.

To many gaskets, foam spacers and plastic trim. that stuff will not stand the test of time.

the storage, with the high floor, sure seams alot smaller than my 2002 Grand Cherokee.

The middle 2nd row seat should also tumble not just fold.

I am dumbfounded I had to adjust headlights.

Thats all I have....for now

·
Registered
114 Posts
I definitely agree with the gas tank size -- 25 gallons should have been the minimum. I'd like to get 400 miles to a tank of gas...

On mileage, with 4.7 V8, a question: if you reset the MPG calculator on the open freeway, set the cruise at 70mph and let it hold for a while, on mostly level roads, what do you get? Mine says I'm getting as high as 22.4 mpg in those circumstances pretty consistently. Passing, hills, etc, take the calculation down to the 18.5-19.0 range. I'm happy with that, and feel it's such apples to oranges to compare our various lead footedness and driving circumstances in city driving that I'd be curious if others would calculate as above and weigh in about highway only mileage.

I absolutely agree about the 3rd row -- it should be slickly removable; I didn't want it and still bought the vehicle. I fear DC might be hesitant to offer that option because that blurs the distinctions between the Commander and the Grand Cherokee. I for one will be looking at taking the 3rd row seats out this Spring.

Thanks,

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bet an after market floor will come out, that you can replace the 3rd row with. If it had a flip up panel at the back to get at the jack & stuff it would be great.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To answer a query regarding my driving habits.
My mileage have never been any different from advertized figures on 2 Exporers and 1 full size Montero I owned.
On Montero, it was listed ad 14mpg/18mpg city/hwy. I was getting 14 to 15 in city and just about 18-19 on hwy depending on a car load.
I customarily traveled 380 miles on highway on that car and averaged 300 miles in the city.
Now I got stuck with this 230 miles thing and it is horrible.
As far as highway, I traveled to Galena cruising about 72 mph and the mileage went "all the way up" to 14mpg.
Being furious is an understatement to say the least.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Commo said:
I definitely agree with the gas tank size -- 25 gallons should have been the minimum. I'd like to get 400 miles to a tank of gas...

On mileage, with 4.7 V8, a question: if you reset the MPG calculator on the open freeway, set the cruise at 70mph and let it hold for a while, on mostly level roads, what do you get? .
As I posted in another thread my mileage over a stretch of 1000 miles of hwy driving was as follows: (5.7 L engine)

at 65 MPH: 18.5 MPG.
at 75 MPH: 16 MPG.
at 85 MPH: 14.5 MPG
at 90+ MPH: 13 MPG

This was what I noted on the MPG calculator while driving on cruise at the mentioned speeds. This was also with 2 passengers, suitcases, ski equipment, a 70lb dog, ie a lot of wieight which probably lowered my numbers somewhat.

In the city with nobody but me and no cargo I'm getting around 12.5 MPG.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ok, not too far from my numbers...especially with that load. Anyone else got some data points for this little comparo?

Another detail we've not mentioned: remember in a lot of the country the gasoline changes (for the worse mileage-wise) in the winter months. Not sure why; I believe it has something to do with cold-weather combustibility of the gas. It might have to be more volatile in winter to get us the cold weather performance we want. Or something like that! Some engineer, fill us in on winter v. summer fuel, please?

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
274 Posts
We are getting 280 to 290 miles per tank, in town. 1100 miles on it, and getting better. This is my wife's Commander, we have about the same driving habits. We aren't lead foot's or light foot's on the pedal. Sometimes I kick it, (can't help it, it sounds so cool), so that's factored into the tank of fuel also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
mikey said:
2. PASSENGER SEAT TOO LOW. The advertized design concept of "theater seating" is a fiasco to be sure. The 2nd and 3rd seat passengers (a rare passenger in 2nd row for me and never anyone in 3rd seat) get a nice look of the road. My wife, who is 5'-7" can see only the top the dash but not the road from the front seat. She instantly declared that she "hates this thing". Passenger seat is height is unujustable as with a height change the rear passengers will no longer be in the theater (and that would so terrible of course). Driver's view is fine as the seat have vertical adjustment. If your wife is 5' tall she will see only glove compartment and the sky.
My wife and I just got back from looking at the Commander again...we are waiting to place our order for a 2007 model....and we don't have any idea what you are talking about in reference to the passenger seat.

She is 5'6" and I am 5'7" and neither of us have a problem seeing out. The view is fine and we can both see the road along with everything else. Does your wife have the seat tilted way back? We love the Commander and can't wait to get back to the States and get ours.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found no problem with lights, either low or high beams and don't believer there is any. Fogs are very functional as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good for you and your wife. As I said before, the front seat is too low and no, it was not tilted back. It is a design flaw.
I didn't notice anything specifically bad with gaskets, though the liftgate gasket does have minor misalignment, purely cosmetic, I think.
Actually, aside from that 220 miles on a tank (which totally maddens me) it is a very well made car, powerfull, smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Man, you are determined that this is a "design flaw." Is this your opinion or do you have some factual data that this is a "design flaw?"

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is my opinion.
But the design flaw happens when a designer gets a great idea in his head (like the theater seating) and forgets what consequences it will have.
As a result of this concept, the passenger seat has been placed too low and mad unajustable. I sat in it myself and while being 5-11 it is borderline for me but my wife at 5'-7" can see the hood but not the road.
Actually this is kind of minor flaw. The undersized tank is a total travesty.
In all-city driving all I can do is 200 miles on a tank and I never had a car that would do less than 280. And it ain't my driving habits.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have just broken 2,000 miles on my commander with the 4.7 and on average on the highway I have seen anywhere between 13 and 16 mpg on the onboard computer. Alright call me crazy here but I found in the warmer weather we are having here in the northeast (yeah 45 is warm for this time of year) that if you put the sunroof into the up position and drive with the drivers window about half open the fuel mileage actually increases!
Today going to work on the highway at about 75 with the sunroof up and the window about halfway open I was enjoying the sun and warmer temps and noticed the average MPG was up to 17.9. Temps were only 50 but it was a nice change from the single digits we had over the weekend. Has anyone else found this trend to be true about the window arrangment?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with most of your comments overall... but the great thing about the Commander, is for every not-so-great feature, there is a great feature to compensate. AND, just about all of the weaknesses can be addressed by improvements.

1. UNDERSIZED GAS TANK
I went in with my eyes open knowing that the JC didn't have great gas mileage, but then it's not a small run-around car that gets scared at the sight of a dirt road. I do wish Jeep had put a bigger gas tank in.. but oh, well - design / size contraints won out. We are considering putting the spare tire on the a swing gate on the back, and putting a gas tank in the spare tire hole (will fit 27 gallons).

2. PASSENGER SEAT TOO LOW.... Lift kit! (and a pillow for your wife). It may not help your wife, but it would make the JC ride a bit higher. We're looking at the 2-1/2" lift kit from Superlift, as it isn't such a complete overhaul of the springs, tires, etc.

3. SHOPPING FLYING OUT BACK - Jeep offers a cargo net that works pretty well. The cargo liner on the other hand was a huge disappointment, we'll be taking it back.

4. 3RD SEAT NOT REMOVABLE - we took our 3rd seat out (4 bolts) fairly easily, and are in the process of building a cool box to fit 'stuff' (camping gear, etc.) in the back. We've made it of diamond plate aluminum and Rhino-coated it so that it is skid proof. It fits in the hole where the 3rd seats were, and allows us some extra storage space, but also allows a flat surface on top for whatever purchases. We have put D-rings on the top and sides, so that you can tie bungees across it to hold your cooler, waterjug, etc. in place. It is a great addition.

There are tons of other features that the JC has that most cars don't have, that set it apart from the others. Love the Nav System, and the U-Connect hands free (I went out and bought a bluetooth just for the hands free .. it's very cool).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am impressed by your know-how.

GAS TANK. Let me know how fitting a bigger tank works. If you do it, I'd appreciate any tips. I am sure you have to go to the custom shop to do it. So let me know how you did it and the costs involved. This seems though as major car modification!
THIRD SEAT. Again, thanks. I'll remove mine and store it and then figure out some removable lid to gain storage. This third seat is really for birds!
Many Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure what cargo liner you are referring to as being "a dissappointment". Can you explain?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jeep sells two cargo liners (or mats). One which covers the span from the second row of seats folded down all the way to the back, and folds up against the 3rd row of seat when folded up. There are some comments on this site for that one.
The one I bought was the shorter version ($85) which goes from the third row of seats to the back. I expected a thick rubber mat, and instead got a thin plasticish molded liner with a lip around the edges. I expected something a little more robust.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts