Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove to AZ from CO this past week, and enjoyed a whopping 12 miles per gallon on the way out! When I reset the trip computer before we left, I was at 13.5 which is 95% city driving, so my 800 mile trip actually decreased my gas mileage! Now, it was cold out, we drove through the night, there was a very strong wind which was never behind us, and the XK was loaded including 2 suitcases on the roof, but still not what I was hoping to see. But with gas being ~$1.50/gallon, it makes the sting of 12 mpg much easier to stomach. I got 13.4 on the way home. I was going to take photos of the XK at the gas stations on the way back, but it was way too cold.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I had similar mileage going from Denver to Vegas. It sucked.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
What speed were you each driving?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Between 65 and 74 - I passed 2 cops on the way out and wasn't worried about a ticket.

·
2,248 Posts
If you think that a headwind is bad in a Commander, try it in a large RV. It can make up to a 20% difference in MPG.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmmm, on my return trip from IL to WI I got 20.3 mpg. Just to compare, I also have a 2006 with a 3.7, I had my wife with me, two 85 lb dogs and a back end full of luggage and gifts. I drove 58 mph in the 55 zones for roughly 65 miles of the trip and 68-70 mph the rest of the way, around 225 miles total. It was about 32 degrees out the whole trip and there was a pretty good wind in our face for the last 70 miles. However on the trip there it was about 1 or 2 above zero with patchy ice covered roads and I only got 17.5 mpg. I think the big difference between the trips though was the fact that on the way down I used gas with up to 10% ethanol and on the trip back where i got 20.3mpg I used regular fuel without ethanol (easier to find in Illinois than Wisconsin).

Not much help I know, but a comparison nonetheless

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Wind speed and direction of course, luggage on the roof, going up and down grades, and varying driving speeds and driving over 70, all contribute to higher gas consumption. If you have time to spare, next time try setting the cruise at about 63. You'ld be amazed at the difference in mpg.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My buddy has a 5.7 in his Dodge pick up and gets 10 MPG ... but he constantly drives at 140 KPH ... that's what about 90 MPH.

I can get my Tracker down to 16 MPG by driving at flat out at 130 KPH all day.

Try crusing at 55 mph ... you'll should get in the high teens

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I was going the speed limit or slightly under... now, I've learned that 67.435 is best for my MPGs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My wife and I just got back from a round trip to Detroit from Chicago....we averaged roughly 20 MPG with and with out head winds and being loaded with our 1 year old, 85 lbs Black Lab and luggage. Cruise control was set at 75 almost the entire way. I would have to say that your MPG might mean you had really terrible gas or something wasn't clicking right. We have our maiden voyage to South Carolina in two days so I'll post our MPG results.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I used to get 22 MPG regularly between Cleveland and Columbus before my tire upgrade. Now I average about 19 after correcting for tire size. Lifts and tires will definitely affect the mileage. My city mileage is about 13.3 now down from 15-16.

I can't wait to see what the Surco rack will do!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a 5.7 HEMI, i get 17 to 21 MPG on the freeway at speed of 65 to 68 MPH. MPG drops to 14 to 16 at freeway speed of >70MPH. Of course many factors can affect your fuel consumption. When I bought the commander I didn't expect to have good milage, I just want the power and performance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hmmm, on my return trip from IL to WI I got 20.3 mpg. Just to compare, I also have a 2006 with a 3.7, I had my wife with me, two 85 lb dogs and a back end full of luggage and gifts. I drove 58 mph in the 55 zones for roughly 65 miles of the trip and 68-70 mph the rest of the way, around 225 miles total. It was about 32 degrees out the whole trip and there was a pretty good wind in our face for the last 70 miles. However on the trip there it was about 1 or 2 above zero with patchy ice covered roads and I only got 17.5 mpg. I think the big difference between the trips though was the fact that on the way down I used gas with up to 10% ethanol and on the trip back where i got 20.3mpg I used regular fuel without ethanol (easier to find in Illinois than Wisconsin).

Not much help I know, but a comparison nonetheless

I think it is definitely the gas. I drive the 5.7.

Tailwind with a tankful of 89 octane 10% Illinois craponol from the NW burbs of Chicago to South Haven MI - 14.4 MPG @ 65mph.

Headwind on the way home from MI with a tankful of MI $1.55 89 octane, stop and go through ice and snow - 16.9 MPG for a trip that took twice as long as usual with lots of stop and go.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Before the lift, tires and the rack - I got about 19 on a trip in CO of about 500 miles - plus, I do have the baby 3.7, so I didn't expect much to be honest, but didn't expect it to drop from what I was getting in town...and I wasn't complaining as much as just posting because I thought it was kind of funny - we all love to post when we're getting good mileage. I am due for my tranny and diff. fluid changes, but everything else is up to date including upgraded spark plugs about 6,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My wife and I just got back from a round trip to Detroit from Chicago....we averaged roughly 20 MPG
Great! ... is that with premium gas?

My brother claims premium gas is actualy a bargin with some vehicles ... as you get much more miles per tank.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wow! 12 MPG is pretty good!!:rofl: Gotta love the aero's, on these baby's! With my 4.7 before K&N, E-3's, and Lucas I was getting 12 while pulling a trailer with a motorcycle on it while doing 65 MPH! Now I'm getting 16.5 city-18.5 HWY.:) Next week I'm switching over to Syntec Full, with Lucas Synthetic stabilizer...we'll see if the 65.00 oil change is worth it!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Wow! 12 MPG is pretty good!!:rofl: Gotta love the aero's, on these baby's! With my 4.7 before K&N, E-3's, and Lucas I was getting 12 while pulling a trailer with a motorcycle on it while doing 65 MPH! Now I'm getting 16.5 city-18.5 HWY.:) Next week I'm switching over to Syntec Full, with Lucas Synthetic stabilizer...we'll see if the 65.00 oil change is worth it!
OK I know what the K&N is, but the E-3 and a Lucas? Can someone translate?

·
Registered
5 Posts
With my 4.7 which is stock all the way with less than 1,500 miles on it I get 14 MPG city, 19 MPG Hwy (65MPH) and towing with a 4,500 lb trailer and a 13 foot boat on the roof I get 12 MPG (no standard speed contains everything from interstate roads to two lane back roads).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Made a trip to Charlotte, NC from Pittsburgh over the holiday weekend & got 19 m.p.g. on the road!!! 500 mile trip & VERY happy with this mileage as I thought we would get no better than 12-15 m.p.g.! 4.7L with Q.T. II, me, wife, 2 kids, luggage & cargo, I am REALLY impressed as my '03 Liberty Sport 4x4 only gets 11-12-but is lifted, bigger tires & safari rack, lights & etc.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts