Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I filled up the XK this morning and noticed that the display on the dash read "147 Miles To Empty". I thought, 21 gallon tank-full? Something is not right. That would be 7mpg. What am I missing here?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
That is based on your average MPG if you have sat at an idle for some time prior to fill up then it would read lower than actual. Did you try to reset the computer in the info center to clear out the average MPG?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
In case you do not know, all you do is go to the screen where it displays the average MPG and push and hold the reset button until it clears to 0.0

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I tried to reset the computer but the manual states that "The DTE(Distance to Empty) cannot be reset through the Function Select button. But it alows me to reset the Avg. Mpg display. The display then read AVG MPG 6.0. This is with the A/C running,

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
That screen is new to me. How did you get that screen up?

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ranger, that screen is totally different from my 2008 XK. The manual says you change all the settings using the buttons on the steering wheel which controls the display on the Instr. cluster.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
OK, thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Well, I tried to reset the computer but the manual states that "The DTE(Distance to Empty) cannot be reset through the Function Select button. But it alows me to reset the Avg. Mpg display. The display then read AVG MPG 6.0. This is with the A/C running,
The average of 6MPG is probably correct. consider that if you sit in your driveway for 5 mins with the engine at idle it will read 0.0MPG for those 5 mins. If you then drive down the street you may be getting 12MPG but since the computer averages it out then it will not read the 12MPG unless you reset it while driving.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The average of 6MPG is probably correct. consider that if you sit in your driveway for 5 mins with the engine at idle it will read 0.0MPG for those 5 mins. If you then drive down the street you may be getting 12MPG but since the computer averages it out then it will not read the 12MPG unless you reset it while driving.

if you are cruising on highway with a figure of 24.9 mpg resetting the display can get you a mpg figure of nearly 40 until the puter catches up with real life.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have an '06. Last night, the miles to empty was at 22. Then I merged onto the freeway, and it dropped to 9 miles to empty, and the low fuel warning started dinging. Once I let it sit, and reset the avg mpg, and it showed 21 miles to empty. So I quit watching and switched to the compass mode.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
John the system guesses based on est. fuel left, your acceleration, and the avg mpg that the computer shows. So you will see that vary depending on the driving conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
try to reset the average MPG while going down a big hill. I can get up to 80MPG so that would be about 1200 miles to empty. HAHAAA TAKE THAT ALL YOU HYBRID OWNERS!!! LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts