Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to swap my limited stock chrome rims with some rugged black steelie rims, but can't seem to find black steelies in the same size (17x7.5). I have a 2" lift and am running the 32" BFGoodrich Mud Terrain tires and currently have close to no rubbing. I would like to find a black rim that I can use with my same tires and lift and still have no rubbing.

1. Has anyone seen black steelies in 17x7.5?
2. If they do come in that size, would it be safe to assume my tire wouldn't rub if I make the swap?
3. Would my current tires fit on a rim slightly skinnier or wider (i.e. 17x9 or 17x6)?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Here is an example of the type of black rim I am looking for.

·
Registered
104 Posts
won't work, i bought 17x8 cragar soft 8's...the front calipers rub. u can run 1/4" spacers but it rides like crap, or u can try grinding down your calipers..... but it does looks bad tho...

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I personally wouldnt run those BFGoodrich MT's on a 17x9 wheel. The tires are to narrow for that width. Just my opinion. It can be done though.

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Those look like the Nato wheels for a land rover. Looks different for sure! I think with a 4 inch lift those would look good. I like the spoke style of the stock rim better for a milder lifted rig. That's while I chose to paint my rims black,but I'm also cheap. Put them on there so we can see something different!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of those wheels on a JK Wrangler

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, the black steel wheel on the jeep accessories website is not near as cool.

I found a picture of this jeep on another thread and although it's not quite what I was looking for, it still looks pretty sweet. I read through all the posts on the thread where I found this picture and no one seemed to know exactly which wheel it is. I would be content puting on this wheel if it is 17x7.5.

Anyone know exactly what wheel is on this jeep???

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
i think discount tire has a 17X8 black rock wheel with the right amount of backspacing and your tire should fit (244 to 265) their about $119 each im sure once their you can try to get a deal they always try to hook you up....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your replies fellas. I've found a few different brands that make a 17x8 black steel rim, but I'm a little confused on how much backspacing I would need for my current lift and tire size.

I purchased my Commander used about 5 months ago and it came lifted. It looks to me like a 2" lift. I'm also running the BFGoodrich Mud Terrain 255/75 R17 tires. I also have what looks to be 1.5" wheel spacers.

For a 2" lift and 32" tires, how much backspacing would I need on a 17x8 wheel to have no rubbing? I would like the backspacing to allow me to take off my current wheel spacers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just read through some very informative threads that "I think" answered my question regarding backspacing. Anyone interested in learning all about lifts, tire sizes, and wheels should read this thread. Very informative!

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8393

Since the stock rim has 6" of backspacing, I would want to find a rim with 4.5" of backspacing, since I'm already running 1.5" wheel spacers. I'm not sure, though, if an 8" wide rim would affect rubbage compared to the stock rim which is 7.5". I wouldn't think so, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I think I'm going to get the Rock Crawler Series 52 Black Powder Wheel (17x8, 5x5 bolt pattern, 4.5" backspacing). Here is a link to the wheel.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Rock-Crawler-Series-52-Black-Powder-Wheel.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=209&t_pt=100021&t_pl=100347&t_pn=PCW52-7873

If you know of any reason why this wheel wouldn't work on my jeep, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I just read through some very informative threads that "I think" answered my question regarding backspacing. Anyone interested in learning all about lifts, tire sizes, and wheels should read this thread. Very informative!

Since the stock rim has 6" of backspacing, I would want to find a rim with 4.5" of backspacing, since I'm already running 1.5" wheel spacers. I'm not sure, though, if an 8" wide rim would affect rubbage compared to the stock rim which is 7.5". I wouldn't think so, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I think I'm going to get the Rock Crawler Series 52 Black Powder Wheel (17x8, 5x5 bolt pattern, 4.5" backspacing). Here is a link to the wheel.
In theory, that wheel/tire combo should only stick out 1/2 inch further then your current setup. If you have absolutely no rubbing now then you should be fine. How close are your tires to the fender flares and plastic inner fender well?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a little over 4" from the top of the wheel to the bottom of the flair, and about 2" from the front and rear part of the wheel to the sides of the flair. The only place I am slightly rubbing is on the passanger side rear fendor when turning sharply to the right.

Would a rim .5" wider cause the tire to rub any worse? I can't see how it would. Another question I just thought of; will the TPMS system still work with new rims?

·
Registered
104 Posts

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Rock-Crawler-Series-52-Black-Powder-Wheel.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=209&t_pt=100021&t_pl=100347&t_pn=PCW52-7873

If you know of any reason why this wheel wouldn't work on my jeep, please let me know.

These wheels won't work, they will rub ur front calipers... don't say I didn't tell u so....
I bought mine online then had to sell them at a loss the next day

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These wheels won't work, they will rub ur front calipers... don't say I didn't tell u so....
I don't understand why these wheels would rub the calipers and the stock rims don't. What is different about these rims that would cause them to rub against the calipers?

Do you think a tire shop would throw on a wheel before you buy so that you can see how it looks and to see if you would have any rubbing with the calipers or wheel well?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't understand why these wheels would rub the calipers and the stock rims don't. What is different about these rims that would cause them to rub against the calipers?

Do you think a tire shop would throw on a wheel before you buy so that you can see how it looks and to see if you would have any rubbing with the calipers or wheel well?
Yes if u buy them from a store sure, they can test fit them. I bought them online to save a few bucks so there was no test fitting. It looks like the mounting surface on these steel wheels is where it is rubbing against the caliper. I actually read about this problem from another user on this forum but I had to try out for myself. I should have listened to him. You should listen to me!!! lol The other guy on here that tried those wheels is lumberjim, u can ask him about his experience. The rear doesn't rub, just the front calipers... I threw on 1/4" spacers and it fixed it but the vibration from the spacers was unbearible... so i ended up buying new mags.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
That weird that those wheels wont fit. You had those exact Rock Crawler Series 52 Black Powder Wheel 17x8, 5x5 bolt pattern, 4.5" backspaced wheels. There should be plenty of back spacing on those to clear the caliper.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Man, I love those blacked-out wheels on that Wrangler. I am a cheap [removed] and those were the same price as the ones I wound up w from DT. Wish I would've seen those first.:(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts