Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone Im new to the Forum but a decent shade tree. Recently put a 2inch R/C on and Looking at some wheels and tires 265/70/17 Nitto grapplers and mounting them on a 17x9 with a -12 offset has anyone tried this combo? I understand there will be some mods that need to be done to the pinch weld but I am worried about the flares dont mind a small amount of trimming but I want tit to be unoticed. I used the calculator and come up with 4.5 backspacing and pushing the wheel out 2.7 inch farther then stock 245/65/17 any help would be appreciated. i am looking at the Ballestic Jester wheel in black if curious

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wouldn't!!! I have a 4 in lift, mickey thompson classic ii wheels which have 4.5 in of back spacing with -12 offset. I have modified my wheel wells so much that I am still rubbing. As of right now, if I turn on a slight incline my tire hits the exterior fender trim. I know some members are using a 17X8 with 4.5 in of back spacing, not sure on the offset, but are having more luck than I with a 17X9.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I think you might be alright, because that's almost exactly my setup.

Read my post in my Garage thread for further details:
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showpost.php?p=104578&postcount=26

I've had absolutely no rubbing issues.
Ummmm, the reason you have no rubbing issues is because your running a 275/60R17. That tire is only 30 inches tall. Im running 265/70R17 which measures a hair under 32 inches tall and would have had crazy rubbing if I didnt bend over the pinch weld and re mold the plastic inner fender well. I still get monor rubbing when wheeling hard. And im only running 1.25 inch spacers. Those 17x9's with that back spacing will sit out a lot farther then my setup.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm with 07JeepXK!

·
Registered
480 Posts
That is my exact setup- I have trimmed the fenders and they grab a little at about 80-85 percent turn. It is a little annoying but I'll just let it push me towards the 4" lift. It grabs the actual plastic flare in the front and will sometimes pop the plastic rivet off. I have cut sections out of the plastic inner well which helped a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So back to square one what is a recommended rim then already have the tires but I dont want wheel spacers would like a wider stance but dont want a bunch of issues with the rubbing. I want black wheels would a 0 offset work or do i need to go with a +25 wheel I like the look of the XD's and ballistic wheels and some of the Helo's

·
Registered
288 Posts
Look at the 17 Inch Ultra Thunders. They have some in 17X8 with 5 1/8 and 5 3/4 backspacing that would work good.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Here is a before and after shot with the ultra thunder wheels and 2 in lift.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Ummmm, the reason you have no rubbing issues is because your running a 275/60R17. That tire is only 30 inches tall. Im running 265/70R17 which measures a hair under 32 inches tall and would have had crazy rubbing if I didnt bend over the pinch weld and re mold the plastic inner fender well. I still get monor rubbing when wheeling hard. And im only running 1.25 inch spacers. Those 17x9's with that back spacing will sit out a lot farther then my setup.
Er ya, I misread his tire size, my bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
17x8.5 -6 offset

Anyone running a 17x8.5 ATX Thugs with a -6 offset and 265/70 nittos I am looking at doing this but I have only have a 2 inch lift already jumped the gun and bought the tires but I am still looking for rims. Would appreciate any input before I order on what would need trimmed down or any issues I may run into.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any wheel that is 17x8.5 with a +25mm offset. No trimming at all with a 265/70-17 tire with 2" lift. Anything on the - side or 0 is going to need trimming.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have tried a 17 x 8 with a +30 offset and the 265/70 only just touches the plastic inner fender.

Forgot to mention that is with a 2" lift

·
Registered
266 Posts
hope to see pictures .....the set up i will be going with is going to be 1.5" spacers or now and 265X70/17 micky thompson ATZ's.....then hopefully the Pro Comp 6099 or the 6007 series with 4.5 backspacing and 0 offset...

i also have RC 2"lift with an added 1.4" up front to level.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got my tires and wheels mounted up today 2inch R/C with a homade 1/4 spacer on top of that. Pro comp 17x8 with 0 offset no spacers and 265/75 Nittos looks good and I have no rubbing I will post a few pics when I get a chance

·
Registered
266 Posts
I got my tires and wheels mounted up today 2inch R/C with a homade 1/4 spacer on top of that. Pro comp 17x8 with 0 offset no spacers and 265/75 Nittos looks good and I have no rubbing I will post a few pics when I get a chance

looking forward to it .......and you went with procomp nice. :icon_cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im pretty sure you meant 265/70 Nitto's.

Also did you bend over the pinch weld and remold the plastic inner fender well? If not then they must be making tires smaller and smaller everyday. The reason I say that is because if I didnt bend over the pinch weld and remold the inner fender well I wouldnt be able to turn left or right due to the tire size. And your tire package sits out about a half inch further then mine which in theory makes it worse.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i'm runnung that setup with 265/65 nitto's and it rubs when i'm at full turn 265/70 nitto will rub all over the place.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
i'm runnung that setup with 265/65 nitto's and it rubs when i'm at full turn 265/70 nitto will rub all over the place.
Maybe he accidently wrote 265/75 and meant 265/65. That would make more sense if he doesnt have any rubbing. But he definately doesnt have 265/75's.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree with you 07jeeepXK any bigger than 265/70 would rub badly. When they are on a 17 x 8 +30 rim they just clear the bolt comfortably and rub the inner fender lightly. Any less offset or a bigger tire is going to rub badly on the inner fender.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts