Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, taxes are in and it’s time to revive my beast next weekend

I recently got a ’06 5.7l Hemi QDII with 120k. I am currently averaging 12.4 MPG and I have no history on servicing so I’m going to a complete servicing. I have done a lot of research and I think I have it all worked out but wanted to ask y’all to look my plan over and make sure I’m right in all areas.
DIY Oil Change: swap from conv. To Full synth. Thinking Pennzoil Plat. and a High Quality Filter.
DIY Air Filter Change: was thinking of a K&N Drop in but from research not worth the money. Better off getting a Good Paper filter?
DIY Spark Plug Change: I know there are 16 of them and I know I need Champs. But I want Long Lasting and Better Performance. Should I go with DBL Plats or Iridium’s?
DIY Coolant Flush and reload: any specific needs for the Hemi’s?
DIY F&R Diff Oil Change: Need Info on best way and fluids
I’m Getting A Professional Trans Fluid and Filter Change done, so not worries about that.
What about Fuel Filter, O2 Sensor, and PVC sensor?
Anything Else I’m Missing Please Point it out… Thank You.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You should consider swapping your transfer case fluid, power steering fluid, and break fluid as well but mainly the transfer case i think. When i got mine i also cut the tapered end off the front two sun roof drain line end grommets which fixed my water leak. You have to pop a couple peices of trim but it is an easy task. I recently did all this to my 06 4.7L at 109k including the k&n air filter and a good bit of injector cleaners and my gas mileage did not improve significantly. It is still a fairly consistent 13.3 mpg. I am skeptical that there is anything you can do to improve your gas mileage much at this point

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Plugs, stay with Champs - copper OEM. I changed mine at 55K and the old ones looked new. There are problems with other plugs. Do not flush coolant, just drain and refill, also do not have a flush of the trans done. On the how to's - search the posts and all the answers are there.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Plugs, stay with Champs - copper OEM. I changed mine at 55K and the old ones looked new. There are problems with other plugs. Do not flush coolant, just drain and refill, also do not have a flush of the trans done. On the how to's - search the posts and all the answers are there.
Any reason not to flush the coolant? I had mine flushed at 130k because the previous owner never changed it. Guy said chunks of some crud came out when he did. I haven't had any issues and I'm at 140k now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
flush the coolant if the system was neglected. IF not, simple drain and re-fills will do. If you flush, it will be almost impossible to get all the water out of the system. Then getting the 50-50 ratio of water to coolant will be harder to obtain.

·
Registered
556 Posts
great advice bigpav!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Make sure you get your plugs from dealer...folks on this forum have shown how exact same plug number are not the same when you open them up...and it WILL make a difference for the Hemi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts