Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forums! I've only owned my Commander for 2 weeks and I've already learned so much thanks to all of you sharing your experiences and knowledge. Thank you moderators for working to keep this info out there!

So about my Jeep: I got a really good deal on a 2008 Limited Commander (5.7L HEMI 4x4 QT II) with 131K. I was waiting for "the other shoe to drop" so to speak when the CEL came on. Not surprisingly (to a serial used car buyer) it needs a catalytic converter (or something in the immediate orbit). I say not surprisingly because that's exactly the kind of thing that convinces people who get cars serviced at the dealer that it's time to get a new car that doesn't need work that supposedly costs over $2 grand [steps off soap box]. The O2 sensor looks brand new, so now I'm just looking around for someone to install the bolt-on Bosal cats that I got for $500. I'm not installing myself because I'm recovering from back surgery (and if I'm honest because I don't really like working on 12 year old stock exhaust systems anyway).

My question about this situation is mostly about satisfying my curiosity. In the experience of Jeep owners, is this about the normal lifetime of the cats on this engine? ...or do I need to be looking into why they are failing. Seems about typical to me, if maybe a little on the premature side. One thing I'll probably do is inspect the spark plugs (or maybe just replace them since it won't cost much). How hard are they to work on in this engine bay? I haven't even taken the engine cover off yet...

Sorry for the wordy first post... I'm sure I'll have more questions come up, so thanks in advance!!

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
Hello Forums! I've only owned my Commander for 2 weeks and I've already learned so much thanks to all of you sharing your experiences and knowledge. Thank you moderators for working to keep this info out there!

So about my Jeep: I got a really good deal on a 2008 Limited Commander (5.7L HEMI 4x4 QT II) with 131K. I was waiting for "the other shoe to drop" so to speak when the CEL came on. Not surprisingly (to a serial used car buyer) it needs a catalytic converter (or something in the immediate orbit). I say not surprisingly because that's exactly the kind of thing that convinces people who get cars serviced at the dealer that it's time to get a new car that doesn't need work that supposedly costs over $2 grand [steps off soap box]. The O2 sensor looks brand new, so now I'm just looking around for someone to install the bolt-on Bosal cats that I got for $500. I'm not installing myself because I'm recovering from back surgery (and if I'm honest because I don't really like working on 12 year old stock exhaust systems anyway).

My question about this situation is mostly about satisfying my curiosity. In the experience of Jeep owners, is this about the normal lifetime of the cats on this engine? ...or do I need to be looking into why they are failing. Seems about typical to me, if maybe a little on the premature side. One thing I'll probably do is inspect the spark plugs (or maybe just replace them since it won't cost much). How hard are they to work on in this engine bay? I haven't even taken the engine cover off yet...

Sorry for the wordy first post... I'm sure I'll have more questions come up, so thanks in advance!!
@jhelm007; Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you can;

Here are some links if you need to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.c...unt/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

4 inch XK Superlift; Superlift Suspension Lift Kit

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read the new member required reading below if you haven't done so already; lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

As far as your question about the Catalytic Converters - it's really hard to say, but, 12 years seems like a pretty good amount of time for the stock Cat Converter to last - plus you don't know what kind of fuel the previous owners regularly used in the engine, how often the fuel system was flushed/serviced and what kind of driving conditions your XK was previously exposed to, which could all factor in to the life expectancy of the converter to some degree.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a few shots of the Commander on our maiden voyage with the new travel trailer. The pics are from Danish Alps recreation area in Nebraska. We stuck close to home since I'm still not 100% sure I don't need to add an extra transmission cooler or work on the suspension, but we didn't have any problems towing the 21 miles out and back.

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
Here's a few shots of the Commander on our maiden voyage with the new travel trailer. The pics are from Danish Alps recreation area in Nebraska. We stuck close to home since I'm still not 100% sure I don't need to add an extra transmission cooler or work on the suspension, but we didn't have any problems towing the 21 miles out and back.

View attachment 41196 View attachment 41197 View attachment 41198
Very nice, what's the length/weight of your trailer?

I'm looking to get a smaller one, 14 or 15 ft.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
When changing the spark plugs, use only the stock Champion Copper plugs as others have caused problems with the Hemi. My copper ones I change every 50,000 miles and they look new. Get this socket as it helps a bunch GEARWRENCH 3/8" Drive 6 Point 5/8" Magnetic Swivel Spark Plug Socket 6" - 80546 - Socket Set With Spark Plug Socket - Amazon.com
Also use a little anti seese on the threads and dielectric grease on the boots. 16 plugs took me about 2 hours.
Do a search on "hemi spark plugs" on this forum for tons of info.

Reactions: jhelm007

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When changing the spark plugs, use only the stock Champion Copper plugs as others have caused problems with the Hemi. My copper ones I change every 50,000 miles and they look new. Get this socket as it helps a bunch GEARWRENCH 3/8" Drive 6 Point 5/8" Magnetic Swivel Spark Plug Socket 6" - 80546 - Socket Set With Spark Plug Socket - Amazon.com
Also use a little anti seese on the threads and dielectric grease on the boots. 16 plugs took me about 2 hours.
Do a search on "hemi spark plugs" on this forum for tons of info.
Thank you so much, this is very helpful!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts