Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuel Beast 17x9, backspacing 5"/offset 1. 2.25" RR lift. Must do the pinch mod to work, got 1/2" clearance in the pinch weld area after mod. Front fender flare/bumper clearance is fine.

If I had to do it all again, I'd get one of the lifts off ebay that are 3" in front and 2" in the rear to level it out a little more. Another benefit I've noticed with the 2.5"-3" front spacer lifts, is that you don't have to cut off the bolts on your front strut. Guess I could always add a spacer on front as others have done, but I'm satisfied for now.

Also added stainless steel d-rings on the front. Used a piece of clear tubing 7/8" ID and cut to approx 3/8" to take up the slack on each side between the d-ring bolt and mount so it won't clank.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Fuel Beast 17x9, backspacing 5"/offset 1. 2.25" RR lift. Must do the pinch mod to work, got 1/2" clearance in the pinch weld area after mod. Front fender flare/bumper clearance is fine.

If I had to do it all again, I'd get one of the lifts off ebay that are 3" in front and 2" in the rear to level it out a little more. Another benefit I've noticed with the 2.5"-3" front spacer lifts, is that you don't have to cut off the bolts on your front strut. Guess I could always add a spacer on front as others have done, but I'm satisfied for now.

Also added stainless steel d-rings on the front. Used a piece of clear tubing 7/8" ID and cut to approx 3/8" to take up the slack on each side between the d-ring bolt and mount so it won't clank.
You must be talking about the "Heavy Metal" (sold under other names too) branded ebay clevis lifts. IIRC they don't lift as much as advertised.

Commander looks real good! Nice wheel and tire choice. :wink3:

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still nose down...just don't like the rake. I'm either going to put a small spacer up front or possibly lower the tail end an inch.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Still nose down...just don't like the rake. I'm either going to put a small spacer up front or possibly lower the tail end an inch.
What is your measurement from axle centerline to fender lip? I'm guessing the weight of the hemi is why you are a little low in the front still.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was nose down from the beginning. The RR lift got 2 3/8" in front and 2 1/4" in rear, so it's still raked. 21" axle to lip. Measurement difference front to rear of the plastic under doors yields 1 3/4" difference.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
It was nose down from the beginning. The RR lift got 2 3/8" in front and 2 1/4" in rear, so it's still raked. 21" axle to lip. Measurement difference front to rear of the plastic under doors yields 1 3/4" difference.
Interesting. I'm not quite as familiar with the RR outside of the fact that I know it is similar to the RC. The RC is more like 2.25 in the front and 1.5" in the rear, so it levels it a bit more.

Yeah, your options are to try and find a 1.5" rear spacer, cut down your current one, or consider stacking the +.5" RC strut plate. That strut plate is the cheapest option.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. I'm not quite as familiar with the RR outside of the fact that I know it is similar to the RC. The RC is more like 2.25 in the front and 1.5" in the rear, so it levels it a bit more.

Yeah, your options are to try and find a 1.5" rear spacer, cut down your current one, or consider stacking the +.5" RC strut plate. That strut plate is the cheapest option.

There are some 1.5" rear lift spacers for the rear on ebay. I thought about the front, but then I'd have to realign. It's much easier to just swap rear spacers.

I love that front bumper! where did you get it?
4xguard.com Bought the platform and hoop bar, then added stainless steel d-rings

Reactions: Kemmer and cgajes

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I couldn't stand the 1.5" rake anymore. I ordered Rusty's 1/2" spacers. My buddy has the same setup as me and his axle/fender measurements were the same as mine, guess it's the extra weight of the hemi, as luckyse7ens suggested, that causes the extra rake. Took about 1 1/2 hours and another $100 alignment. Interestingly enough, only the toe had to be adjusted. It didn't seem to change the camber. So with the RR 2.25" lift and Rusty's 1/2" spacer up front, I actually got 2 7/8" in the front and 2 1/4" in the back and sit 1" raked to the front. Front axle/fender measurement is approx 21.5" now. I'll let it soak in for a bit, but I foresee swapping out the rear lift spacer to a 1.5" go get it closer to level.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the same problem with the RRO lift, since day one. I added the 3/8" strut spacer from RRO and it brought it up a little, it looked level for about a month. I'm getting ready to pull it out, I have the Rusty's 2" front and rear springs I will be putting on in a couple weeks.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called RR and asked them what lift the two Commanders pictured on their website used, because it surely isn't just their 2.25" lift. They said both of them are raked 1.5" just like mine, it's just the angle of the picture that makes them look level and their kit was not meant to be a leveling kit. If you google lifted commanders, that black one on their website shows up with a side angle shot. It looks pretty level to me, not raked like mine is. Just a little bit of deception in my books. Would have saved the time spent having to go back and add a spacer, realign, and now probably change out the rear to get it to look like the picture on their website. Pretty disappointed with them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts