Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at the possibility of a roof rack and metal bumpers in the near future, but this is how it sits:

06' Commander 5.7 Hemi limited

3.5'' Lift up front:

2'' rough country lift
+ Billstein 5100 series strut @1.5''

Part number for billsteins is 24-225793

2'' lift in the rear
Ford F-150 Load leveling rear shocks (2'' longer)

Part number: Monroe 58643 Sensa-Trac load adjusting shocks
THESE ARE SOLD IN PAIRS!!!

Small note on the rear shocks, they helped lift the car about 1'' in the rear when installed. This is could be the fact that they are longer Or my oem shocks were blown.

Goodyear wrangler MTR w/ kevlar 265/70/17
1.5'' Hub centric wheel spacers|

UPDATE 7/30/14 NOW WITH 33's

Videos:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Looks good. Very similar setup to what I was running before swapping to OME + spacer up front... and soon to be 5100s + OME MD springs (then the SL).

Plan on ordering some UCA's soon (recommend JBA). My stock uppers didn't last long when at 3"...

Got some pics on flat ground?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's dark now but I will get some tomorrow morning, no ucas right now mine aren't bad *yet and the angles look good. If they go out I'll get new ones

·
Registered
405 Posts
Did you have any issues trying to install the bilstein 5100 struts or is it the same as replacing them with the 4600 ones? Also if you can can you take a side pic on a leveled surface that way I can get a better picture of how leveled the jeep looks. Thank you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you have any issues trying to install the bilstein 5100 struts or is it the same as replacing them with the 4600 ones? Also if you can can you take a side pic on a leveled surface that way I can get a better picture of how leveled the jeep looks. Thank you.

I never used the 4600 just oem. They slid into the clevis pretty easy. Lots of swearing getting the whole strut/spring/lift spacer back into place.

I can set them to the 2" setting and still be under the 22.5" from center hub to fender. I like the way it sits now, I don't think I'll change it.

Tomorrow I'll get you guys a bunch of pics from different angles

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I never used the 4600 just oem. They slid into the clevis pretty easy. Lots of swearing getting the whole strut/spring/lift spacer back into place.

I can set them to the 2" setting and still be under the 22.5" from center hub to fender. I like the way it sits now, I don't think I'll change it.

Tomorrow I'll get you guys a bunch of pics from different angles
That's weird. All I have up front is OME HD coils and I'm exactly 22.5 inches from the center of the hub to the fender flares.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That setup looks so much better than the stock commander, I have always liked that "desert brown" color.

I just measured 23" from hub to fender flare and I'm only running OME HD + 1/4" spacer. Is 22.5" the max safe distance before front geometry comes into play?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just measured 23" from hub to fender flare and I'm only running OME HD + 1/4" spacer. Is 22.5" the max safe distance before front geometry comes into play?
From what i've read, yes it is. Things will begin to fail, steering rack, ball joints, cv's etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm looking at the possibility of a roof rack and metal bumpers in the near future, but this is how it sits:

06' Commander 5.7 Hemi limited

3.5'' Lift up front:

2'' rough country lift
+ Billstein 5100 series strut @1.5''

Part number for billsteins is 24-225793

2'' lift in the rear
Ford F-150 Load leveling rear shocks (2'' longer)

Part number: Monroe 58643 Sensa-Trac load adjusting shocks
THESE ARE SOLD IN PAIRS!!!

Small note on the rear shocks, they helped lift the car about 1'' in the rear when installed. This is could be the fact that they are longer Or my oem shocks were blown.

Goodyear wrangler MTR w/ kevlar 265/70/17
1.5'' Hub centric wheel spacers

When I read this I became interested but am wondering what issues may come of this. Do you or does anyone else have any input? I.e CV, steering rack etc issues? I am asking that assuming you are saying you now get 3.5" f/3" r lift? Is it possible to only do UCA without causing other more major issues or rapid wear?

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Another update, I built my own brake line extensions.

Sorry no pics but it's a 4" long by 1" piece of metal with two 1/4 holes on either end.

Disconnect the factory brake line mounting braket, you'll need to Bend the line down, then using factory hardware connect one end of the extension to the vehicle chassis.

after that I used 1/4 by 3/4 bolts and lock nuts to secure the OEM brake line bracket to the extension. The driver side is slightly more complicated because the gas tank is in the way however once you work yourself around it its pretty self explanatory exactly the same process as the passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
I was reading the same setup in a WK and they state that the uca angles are way to much they gained alot of height combining the struts with the RC lift do you think maybe the wight of the XK is what keeping everything with in resonable height?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I seen his XK in person on Sunday but didn't think to look at the upper ball joint angles. But either way with that lift he will burn through ball joints faster than just running a spacer lift

·
Registered
30 Posts
Somewhere I thought I read that if you go over the 2 inch lift you need brake line extensions? Is that right? Just wondering because I was planning on getting the adjustable struts soon to pair with my daystar lift because it sags in the front. By the way your jeep looks great!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just reached the 10k mile mark No issues so far, Steering rack is still in proper working order. Ball joints are still good, I'll get pics of the angles for you guys tomorrow. Also, i've up'd the front struts to the 2'' position, i now have 4'' of lift up front and have had no immediate problems. I will continue to update this when / if something fails.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Somewhere I thought I read that if you go over the 2 inch lift you need brake line extensions? Is that right? Just wondering because I was planning on getting the adjustable struts soon to pair with my daystar lift because it sags in the front. By the way your jeep looks great!
I added an extension in the rear because i disconnected my rear sway bar. I haven't done it to the front yet because i am running stock UCA's and don't want to break anything because at full downtravel droop the knuckle hits the spring when they are disconnected

1 - 20 of 37 Posts