Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Any updates or issues? Waiting on new strut mounts and isolaters before I put the 5100's in. Already have RC lift and MLL's and not liking the rake they added

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went with a 2" budget boost and the bilsteins 5100 at 1.5" and the Ford F-150 load levelers 6 mile drive to the alignment shop and got 2 busted ball joints

Attachments

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I went with a 2" budget boost and the bilsteins 5100 at 1.5" and the Ford F-150 load levelers 6 mile drive to the alignment shop and got 2 busted ball joints
Your likely past the magical 23" hub to fender height. This causes issues. Try the bilsteins on their lowest setting. Also your ball joints were probably on their last leg anyways, and this just put them over the edge. Get some greasable Moogs, or even better JBA ($$$) ball joints.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I tried putting them on with the RC in front at 1.5 absolutely a no go. I was informed that even at the .75 setting they Will not work, without extreme rubbing of the spring perch. I'm just gonna take off the RC, bump them up to 2" then stack a 1/2" spacer on the mount

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I tried putting them on with the RC in front at 1.5 absolutely a no go. I was informed that even at the .75 setting they Will not work, without extreme rubbing of the spring perch. I'm just gonna take off the RC, bump them up to 2" then stack a 1/2" spacer on the mount
Really? I was under the impression that it has been done before.

·
Registered
97 Posts
wish there was an exact answer... i've heard yes and absoulutely no, for me it isnt working. ome here i come

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bilsteins at .75 with RC does fit just for info, no rubbing or binding like the 1.5 setting.
Put on new control arms also the ball joints were shot.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You got any pics 8ball3290 of the new setup also close up pics of the ucas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wanted to ask you guys, I have an RC lift 2.25 lift and need to replace the o.e.m. shocks as the rear two are already dead I will just go ahead and replace all four around. My I'm mainly road use. Is it better to go with Bilstein 4600's or try these 5100's, or just replace them with stock or stock equivalent?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I wanted to ask you guys, I have an RC lift 2.25 lift and need to replace the o.e.m. shocks as the rear two are already dead I will just go ahead and replace all four around. My I'm mainly road use. Is it better to go with Bilstein 4600's or try these 5100's, or just replace them with stock or stock equivalent?
5100 struts (fronts only) @ minimum will lift the front end .75", they are adjustable for 1.5" and 2" lift as well. The lower spring perch is raised on them. If no lift is wanted 4600HD would be preferred in front.

5125 (rear) shocks can be ordered a bit longer for lifted vehicles.

If your not the kind of guy that runs swaybars disconnected for extra travel then you probably wouldn't benefit from running longer shocks.

You should start your own thread though :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well just hit 15k with 2"bb 5100 at 1.5 jba uca and f150 load levelers.. Power steering rack started leaking and front sway bar bushing are shot also changed out the jba ball joints 500 miles ago. granted the truck has 120k

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I added an extension in the rear because i disconnected my rear sway bar. I haven't done it to the front yet because i am running stock UCA's and don't want to break anything because at full downtravel droop the knuckle hits the spring when they are disconnected
Are you still running trouble free? I have 2" spacers with 5100 set to 1.5 and so far i have broke 2 tie rods, 2 cv shafts, mine is a lot higher then yours for some reason. this weekend i plan on removing the front 2" spacer to see if it levels me out

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are you still running trouble free? I have 2" spacers with 5100 set to 1.5 and so far i have broke 2 tie rods, 2 cv shafts, mine is a lot higher then yours for some reason. this weekend i plan on removing the front 2" spacer to see if it levels me out
Curious if these actually broke while driving or wore out to the point of having to replace them?

·
Registered
16 Posts

Curious if these actually broke while driving or wore out to the point of having to replace them?
One was new the other Factory but good shape. They didn’t break at joint they broke where threads are while off-roading at 2 different times on stuff I been driving for months only thing changed was shocks(1.5). You are probably safe if you not lift wheels off the ground going over stuff and super flexing the suspension

I just broke month old Oreilly cv axle so putting factory Jeep cv axle back in. Big difference in quality

21 - 40 of 40 Posts