Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, you read it right. Finally got my rough country spacer lift done
Also had the Monroe load levelers put in on the back and Monroe quick struts up front..
Getting my 255 75 kenda klever mt put on today also. So I'll have a pic with those later too.
(Theyre just under 32" I think like 31.8)

My guy said it was more like three inches lift after install, and it does look like it (never measured) but I'm sure it's just cause nothing is settled yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nice looking commander let us know if you have any issues with the tire size and if you are going to use spacers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went with 1" spacers off eBay. They're hub centric, came in a set of four. Nice quality of you ask me. Real happy with the look of the commander now and it still handles awesome. Seems way higher then 2-3 inches tho especially up front when standing next to it.. one thing tho is my shop told me they weren't able to do a full factory alignment because the spacers had maxed everything out so all they were able to do is tow in the front wheels a little bit

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Went with 1" spacers off eBay. They're hub centric, came in a set of four. Nice quality of you ask me. Real happy with the look of the commander now and it still handles awesome. Seems way higher then 2-3 inches tho especially up front when standing next to it.. one thing tho is my shop told me they weren't able to do a full factory alignment because the spacers had maxed everything out so all they were able to do is tow in the front wheels a little bit
I'm not sure that I believe them.

most places dont know were to adjust the camber. just tell them to its in the lower a arm

there are two bolts in the LCA to loosen.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Those look great and you didn't even have to do any trimming to fit them I might consider that size next time I need new tires.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hmm ok.. that being said it does seem to be driving fine so far . And holds a straight line pretty well
Definitely looks like positive camber in that picture from the front. You'll wear the outside edge of your tires that way.

Otherwise, looks awesome! Reminds me of mine, only taller!

I love how you blacked out the COMMANDER lettering on the side! I plan do DIP that whole chrome strip whenever I get around to it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, no rubbing on the road yet. Might possibly have a bit if I'm off tilt and full turn but I don't think so. I think it has a lot to do with 1" wheel spacers.. I kno of a guy with same setup as me except 1.5 wheel spacers and he rubs.. as for alignment I agree.. I'm thinking I'm gonna take it back or to a different shop and see if they can align it better. Weird thing is the place I went to actually deals with a lot of lift installs and off road products

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And thanks for noticing the lettering. I couldn't understand why that was left matching the strip. Looks much better now

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yea, no rubbing on the road yet. Might possibly have a bit if I'm off tilt and full turn but I don't think so. I think it has a lot to do with 1" wheel spacers.. I kno of a guy with same setup as me except 1.5 wheel spacers and he rubs.. as for alignment I agree.. I'm thinking I'm gonna take it back or to a different shop and see if they can align it better. Weird thing is the place I went to actually deals with a lot of lift installs and off road products
Apparently it is super common to run into that with alignments on these vehicles.

"set the toe and let it go!" is a term I have heard...

And the 1" spacers are probably perfect. They should come from the factory like that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that quote lucky.. sounds like a bad shop term ha. He did say
As long as I rotate with oil changes it shouldn't be a problem? but I'm not sure I'm ok with how it looks from the front. (Although how often do I look at it from the front really) I agree with you too on the spacer comment.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Thanks for that quote lucky.. sounds like a bad shop term ha. He did say
As long as I rotate with oil changes it shouldn't be a problem? but I'm not sure I'm ok with how it looks from the front. (Although how often do I look at it from the front really) I agree with you too on the spacer comment.
I don't think its noticeable enough to bother me based on looks, but proper camber is better for handling, and tire wear would be something that I would be concerned with certainly.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/camber-adjustment-29296.html

Camber adjustment is made at the LCA (lower control arm) The bolts that anchor the LCA are in slots. Loosen and you can slide it in and out.

CAMBER, CASTER AND TOE ADJUSTMENT
Camber and caster angle adjustments involve changing the position of the lower control arm with the slots in the frame brackets to move the lower control arm inwards or outwards for proper adjustment. This can be achieved by using a long pry bar with a curved tip and inserting the pry bar into the lower control arm frame brackets and prying inwards or outwards.

NOTE: Camber and caster adjustments must be made at the lower control arm. Do not use the upper control arm for Camber and Caster adjustments.

NOTE: When the lower control arm pivot bolts are loosened the lower control arm will normally go outwards automatically with the weight of the vehicle.

CASTER
Moving the rear position of the lower control arm at the frame in or out, will change the caster angle significantly and camber angle only slightly. To maintain the camber angle while adjusting caster, move the rear of the lower control arm in or out. Then move the front of the lower control arm slightly in the opposite direction.

CAMBER
Move both the front and rear of the lower control arm together in or out. This will change the camber angle significantly and caster angle slightly.

After adjustment is made tighten the lower control arm bolt & nuts to FRONT169 N·m (125 ft. lbs.) and the REAR 88 N·m (65 ft. lbs.).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just called the shop and asked about the adjustment bolts on lca he said that is what he was taking about when he said it was maxed out and on a commander they are the only thing for adjusting so it couldn't be moved anymore than a slight toe . He said it's maxed because it's a spacer lift

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Just called the shop and asked about the adjustment bolts on lca he said that is what he was taking about when he said it was maxed out and on a commander they are the only thing for adjusting so it couldn't be moved anymore than a slight toe . He said it's maxed because it's a spacer lift
Maybe it will settle a bit, and maybe its worth getting another opinion. I don't mean to stress you over it certainly. Still looks awesome!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe it will settle a bit, and maybe its worth getting another opinion. I don't mean to stress you over it certainly. Still looks awesome!
true that man im thinking so. yes i will get a second opinion sometime here, maybe next check up. no worries im not too concerned about it im really just trying to be clear on the possible issue... thank you, wife approves too :woot::woot:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
true that man im thinking so. yes i will get a second opinion sometime here, maybe next check up. no worries im not too concerned about it im really just trying to be clear on the possible issue... thank you, wife approves too :woot::woot:
Win/win buddy! I got wife approval as well! Which is good since its really her DD haha. Trying to get her to let me lift it another inch... She's short though and no steps so shes wary of that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha same situation it's my wives dd and she's shorter too.. would've loved to do the super lift but 2" looks good .. maybe I'll get my own some day and with a v8 instead

·
Registered
143 Posts
It did turn out nice and inspires me to go the same route in the future.

I'm a little concerned though if the increase in height actually does eliminate the ability to do a complete front end alignment. Setting the caster and camber correctly makes a world of difference and helps those expensive tires to last like they should.

I recently did some front end work on my Thunderbird and because of the geometry changes I made had to install adjustable castor/camber plates...without them, my tires were leaning in so far at the top, Id be wearing my tires out in no time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It did turn out nice and inspires me to go the same route in the future.

I'm a little concerned though if the increase in height actually does eliminate the ability to do a complete front end alignment. Setting the caster and camber correctly makes a world of difference and helps those expensive tires to last like they should.

I recently did some front end work on my Thunderbird and because of the geometry changes I made had to install adjustable castor/camber plates...without them, my tires were leaning in so far at the top, Id be wearing my tires out in no time.

My camber isn't too bad, I actually like the look now too. And my alignment is just fine too travels straight with no hands and no wobbles at hwy speed.

Regular tire changing should help counter the negative tire wear .. positive note tires I got start at 500 for the set

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts