Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, very excited to be on the forum.

I read a lot of posts on the Rubicon wheel lift.

I plan to do it but I want to understand if the hem mod is absolutely necessary if I dont use the BF Goodrich 255 75 R17 Mud Terrain Tires.

I want the lift and not the noise that the tires generate.

Thinking some other A/T tire might be a little more tame but still give the look?

Has anyone else used a different tire and liked it?

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi, very excited to be on the forum.

I read a lot of posts on the Rubicon wheel lift.

I plan to do it but I want to understand if the hem mod is absolutely necessary if I dont use the BF Goodrich 255 75 R17 Mud Terrain Tires.

I want the lift and not the noise that the tires generate.

Thinking some other A/T tire might be a little more tame but still give the look?

Has anyone else used a different tire and liked it?

Hey, I think it is safe to say with that wheel size you will need to do the pinch weld mod.

Also re tires, Cooper STT PROs, Goodyear Duratracs (aggressive AT) and Toyo MTs (in third place for me) are what I'm looking at because they are generally quieter than the BFG Mts and most Mts from my research. No personal experience sorry. Lots of people like the Duratracs though

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that reply; I will have to read up on the pinch weld mod and figure out if its beyond my capabilities?, or is it pretty easy.

I also just had the rig Ziebarted and so i will need to re-coat whatever i exposed.

Also need to REALLY understand if modding the pinch weld will undermine structural integrity?

I mean, they welded that area for a reason.

Thanks again

·
Registered
336 Posts
For the pinch weld, you'll have to determine if it's just rubbing on the liner or both the liner and the metal behind it. My new Falken Wildpeak AT3's (265/70/17) rubbed on the liner so I didn't have to do a full pinch weld. I'll try and post some photos tonight.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for that reply - I guess I forgot to mention that I would be considering to put on a set of wheel spacers - like 1" to 1.5"

Would that eliminate the need for the seam mod?

Thanks in advance.

-Chuck

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks a lot for that reply - I guess I forgot to mention that I would be considering to put on a set of wheel spacers - like 1" to 1.5"

Would that eliminate the need for the seam mod?

Thanks in advance.

-Chuck
I'm not positive, but I believe the design of the Rubicon wheels actually requires a spacer to clear the front caliper. So you should definitely factor adding those in.

A spacer won't eliminate the need for the pinch weld mod; in fact, a spacer will make it more likely to be required. A spacer will line the edge of the tire almost perfectly up with the pinch weld, making rubbing more pronounced.

The pinch weld mod isn't difficult to do, so I'd recommend just buying the setup you want and doing the mod if needed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What spacers are you going with? I'm buying a 2009 XK next week and I am finding all kinds of JK wheels/tires for under $500! I think that's the way to go. I am planning for a RC 2" lift.

This is the look I'm going for:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts