Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am failry new here and have been reading alot of posts. I can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for though.

I want to do a 2" lift on my wife's limited using jk rubi take off tires & the factory chrome wheels (she likes the chrome). This will see only road time and nothing offroad. It may be used to haul my tj on the trailer from time to time but thats it. Can this be done with just the lift and tires? I would rather not do wheel spacers if I don't have to.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Hi everyone. I am failry new here and have been reading alot of posts. I can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for though.

I want to do a 2" lift on my wife's limited using jk rubi take off tires & the factory chrome wheels (she likes the chrome). This will see only road time and nothing offroad. It may be used to haul my tj on the trailer from time to time but thats it. Can this be done with just the lift and tires? I would rather not do wheel spacers if I don't have to.
You will defiantely need wheel spacers to fit the stock rubi tires. They wont clear the ball joint bolt without them. Also you will have to bend over the pinch weld and either cut or trim the rear portion of the front inner fender well plastic.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Check out my garage, I have the 2.25 RR lift, Rubi wheels & Tires and 1.5" spacers. I think this is almost a perfect setup.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Check out my garage, I have the 2.25 RR lift, Rubi wheels & Tires and 1.5" spacers. I think this is almost a perfect setup.

You had to trim to make that fit correct?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do the jk rubi wheels and the stock limited wheels have the same backspacing?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
From what I hear, the back spacing of the rubi wheels are very close to that of our stock back spacing. However to run the rubi wheels you need wheel spacers. They have a lip on the inside of the wheel that wont clear our brake calipers.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
have you actually measured the wheels?

i have both sets. the wheels are identical as far as back spacing and lips. i measured both and they are the same. you won't need to do anything.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
have you actually measured the wheels?

i have both sets. the wheels are identical as far as back spacing and lips. i measured both and they are the same. you won't need to do anything.
I have not personally measured the rubicon wheels, I was just going off what other members said who have them. They stated that they tried to put the rubicon wheels on the Commander without spacers and the inside lip of the wheel wouldnt clear the brake caliper. Have you personally mounted a rubicon wheel on your XK without spacers? If so id like to see pictures.

Also I specifically remember you posting something in the past about the back spacing of the rubicon wheel and the back spacing wasnt 6.5 inches. Correct me if im wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Post # 3 of your own thread states that the back spacing of the Rubicon wheel is 5.75 inches. The stock Commander wheel supposedly has 6.5 inches of back spacing. So which one is it?

Im going to measure the back spacing of our stock wheels today to make sure they really are 6.5 inches

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7856

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
if the stockers are 6.5" then you would have more problems with hitting the knuckle bolt then you do with rubicons. the lower the back spacing number the further out your wheels sticks out from the wheel well.

the commander wheel is actually 5.75" back spacing (i just measured my scrap metal stockers). the rubicons are exactly the same.

just saved you all that time taking your wheels off.

Post # 3 of your own thread states that the back spacing of the Rubicon wheel is 5.75 inches. The stock Commander wheel supposedly has 6.5 inches of back spacing. So which one is it?

Im going to measure the back spacing of our stock wheels today to make sure they really are 6.5 inches

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7856

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Well I just went out and measured my wheels (physically took off the passenger side front wheel) and the back spacing measure out to be exactly 6 inches.

What method are you using to measure back spacing? The proper way to measure back spacing is by laying the wheel on its face, placing a straight edge across the wheel, and then measuring down to mounting surface.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
read the thing i posted. it shows you how to measure it. you need to measure inside the bead lip.
That article you posted is wrong. That is not the proper way to measure wheel back spacing.

http://www.vintagewheelworks.com/tech-backspace.php

The easiest way to measure backspace is to lay the wheel on a flat surface facedown (be sure to protect the wheel from scratches, carpet works well), with the backside facing up. Lay the straightedge across the back of the wheel and measure (with the tape measure) the distance from the axle pad (the part that contacts the car) to the straightedge.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/tech.php?bulletin=s10

Backspacing is the easiest to understand. It is simply the distance from the back of the mounting pad to the back lip of the wheel. It is measured by laying the wheel on its face, placing a straight edge across the wheel, and then measuring down to mounting face. The higher this measurement the more the wheel is pushed inboard towards the car’s centerline, as shown in the illustration above

http://www.bentickner.com/tahoe/wheels.htm

Backspacing: refers to the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel (where it contacts the hub) to the back side (inwards-facing) edge of the rim. The easiest way to measure this is by placing a bare wheel on the floor upside down. Place a straight-edge across the wheel, then use a ruler to measure the distance from the bottom of the straight edge to the mounting surface of the rim.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
whatever.

the wheels have the same backspacing no matter how you measure.

you can probably find 10 other ways to measure backspacing if you look hard enough.

go get a set of rubi wheels and do your magic.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I hate it when experts disagree. But thanks both of you for the posts. It makes it clearer in my mind. Now if I just could pick from measuring from the tire bead flange or the wheel edge, I would be all set.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
whatever.

the wheels have the same backspacing no matter how you measure.
Thats by far the stipidest thing i have heard all day. If you were to measure from the inside lip and then measure from the outside you would get two different numbers.

Reguardless the back spacing of the stock wheels is definately 6 inches. I took pictures earlier to prove it. Once photobucket.com actually lets me log on and upload the pictures ill post them.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I hate it when experts disagree. But thanks both of you for the posts. It makes it clearer in my mind. Now if I just could pick from measuring from the tire bead flange or the wheel edge, I would be all set.

I just spoke with a representative from each of the following major wheel companies.

Mickey Thompson
AEV (American Expedition Vehicles)
ProComp
American Racing
American Eagle

Each and every person I just spoke to on the phone said to measure the back spacing to the outside edge of the wheel, not the inner lip. I think these guys know what they are talking about! Again the stock Commander wheels have 6 inches of back spacing. As for the back spacing of the rubi wheels I couldnt tell you since I dont have any. I would still like to see pictures of a rubi wheel mounted on a commander without wheel spacers to see if the actually do fit since we have some people saying they do and some saying they dont.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I just went out and measured my rims; the stock rim is 6" as we all know, the Rubi rim is 6 1/4" so it sits 1/4" further onto the hub and most likely hits on the backside without the spacer. I had my spacers first so I do not know for fact that it would hit without them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts