Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this thread is out there somewhere, however, I cannot find it. I am either putting a 2.5" OME Spring/shock lift or a 4" Superlift. I was curious about which size, offset, backspacing wheels I would need to clear 265 70/17s without the use of a spacer(trying to save on my joints)

Also, Which aftermarket brands sell off road wheels that have the right bolt pattern for Commanders.

I see Bolt Pattern 5 x 5 and 5x5.5. Does one wheel have both bolt patterns? That part kind of confuses me too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just to give you a baseline of what to look for, a 17x8.5 with +25 offset will fit 265/70 perfect without the need to bash the pinchweld (although recommended anyway).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All That sticky thread did was confuse me.

Running 265 70 or 75 by 17. To run without a spacer, I would need how many inches of back spacing? Still 4.5-4.75?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This is basically exactly the look Im looking for. I realized the wheels are 18" and not 17" and the tires are Goodyear Wranglers DuraTrac tires but I am unsure on the size. I found out I can go 255/70r18 without needing a spacers or mods which I will probably do.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The wheels in the pic you posted are stock 17's, not 18. And the tires are MTR's, not Duratracs. You could run 18's if you wish, but I wouldn't because you're just limiting yourself on options and probably paying more. Also, you can't run 255/70/18 without spacers or diff wheels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wheels in the pic you posted are stock 17's, not 18. And the tires are MTR's, not Duratracs. You could run 18's if you wish, but I wouldn't because you're just limiting yourself on options and probably paying more. Also, you can't run 255/70/18 without spacers or diff wheels.

Thank you for the info. I was told by someone else they were Duratracs. I will probably go 255/70 just so i dont have to use spacers. I see alot of people run those JK wheels

·
Registered
81 Posts
you can only go 255/70 if it's on a 17 inch wheel. if you go up to an 18 inch wheel it won't work without spacers or an aftermarket wheel.

most of the people using JK wheels (which are the exact same size as XK wheels) are also using the factory 255/75/17 BFG mud tires. These WILL NOT fit unless you use a spacer

·
Registered
40 Posts
JK Wheels generally need the spacers to clear the Calipers.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
So no matter what, if i go JK wheels, I have to use spacers
To run that size tire? Yeah. The Safari 18" wheels fit with no spacers.

The JK 17" wheels all rub on 07+ XK's without spacers due to the larger calipers. However you can grind down the caliper just a bit to make them clear and you wont need spacers then.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Or maybe I'll just run 17s with spacers And pray I don't have bearing issues later on lol.

I'll have to make sure I take my wheels off every so often and tighten the spacers in case they losen up

·
Registered
111 Posts
Stock tire size is 245 (width) x 65 (height) x 17 (rim) if you go to 255 x 70 that is wider and taller ,.255 75 17 , 265 70 17, etc ..
you could be fine with no spacer and you might not, every tire model/brand is different even if the numbers on the side say the same thing. you could possibly get lucky and have no rub with no spacers. If you do research on here , or use Google to find jeepcommander.com threads you will probably find someone running exactly what you want with the results you want :)

I ran with 255 75 17 mt with 1 inch spacers and the tire I chose I lucked out with and had no rub anywhere.

Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts